Meows ALL the time

derekg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What tactics are best for dealing with a cat who meows nonstop when awake?

I should mention that Sanchez prefers to be mostly outdoors but will come inside occasionally for a nice nap. He became sick as the seasons changed and I brought him in to keep him warm and nurse him back to health. He had respiratory issues similar to a flu with lots of sneezing and congestion and there was a point at which I was ready to bring him into the vet. Still, he broke through and is now almost completely healed. I realize he was acting out of stress, but he had me at the point where I was thinking thoughts I shouldn't be.

Now that he is better, I'd like to try to get him to understand the constant vocalizing is what gets him put outside early.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found none. :-)

My integer 3 years old tomcat performs daily 2-3 shows of 2-5 minutes meowing.
It looks to me that there is something outside the room that triggers this behavior- although I am not sure.
He is very talkative anyway, meowing to all humans in the house for a huge set of various reasons - some still mysterious after 3 years together :-).

I read that most of the time cats mirror the owners'behavior - which in our case proves true: we talk a lot at home.

On the other hand, I must confess I got customized with miew! and meowoooww! and mewwworlwwew! sounds so I would not attempt to stop Figaro's show :-).

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Solomonar says, lengthy sessions can mean many things. Nonstop all the time when awake, however, often means dementia. Is this a senior cat? If so the flu could definitely bring this out all of a sudden.

Could mean other things too, of course. Some cats that want to go out can really go on and on, for example.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I should mention that Sanchez prefers to be mostly outdoors
I'd like to try to get him to understand the constant vocalizing is what gets him put outside early.
Perhaps, I am misunderstanding something, but if he prefers to be outdoors and his constant vocalization gets him put outside early, could that be why he is being so vocal - because he knows he will be put outside?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
What tactics are best for dealing with a cat who meows nonstop when awake?

I should mention that Sanchez prefers to be mostly outdoors but will come inside occasionally for a nice nap. He became sick as the seasons changed and I brought him in to keep him warm and nurse him back to health. He had respiratory issues similar to a flu with lots of sneezing and congestion and there was a point at which I was ready to bring him into the vet. Still, he broke through and is now almost completely healed. I realize he was acting out of stress, but he had me at the point where I was thinking thoughts I shouldn't be.

Now that he is better, I'd like to try to get him to understand the constant vocalizing is what gets him put outside early.
How old us the kitty???And did u take him to VET for his respiratory issues..he could have or still have URI...which is the cat flu..which can make a cat very sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

derekg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As Solomonar says, lengthy sessions can mean many things. Nonstop all the time when awake, however, often means dementia. Is this a senior cat? If so the flu could definitely bring this out all of a sudden.
Not a senior, around five years old. Didn't use to be this bad either, but I can't pinpoint what made him change from quiet to loudmouth. Never makes a peep outdoors. I've tried ignoring and not responding, but it doesn't seem to stop him. If anything, it makes him come find me and meow nearby.

Perhaps, I am misunderstanding something, but if he prefers to be outdoors and his constant vocalization gets him put outside early, could that be why he is being so vocal - because he knows he will be put outside?
I thought it might be the same thing. At this point, he seems to know he's going out the door when the meowing starts and he will meet me there. I figure maybe he wants to go out so I would let him out and he would leave. But during a recent cold snap all he wanted to do was come back in and start meowing again. Other times he would stand at the door in typical cat fashion with no real interest at going out. I don't know what's going on.

I read that most of the time cats mirror the owners'behavior - which in our case proves true: we talk a lot at home.
This may be the issue or at least part of it. While I tend not to respond to encourage such behavior, the other half likes to respond to meows as if she were being talked to directly. Now that I have sufficiently redirected blame, I'd sure like to fix this annoyance..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But during a recent cold snap all he wanted to do was come back in and start meowing again. Other times he would stand at the door in typical cat fashion with no real interest at going out. I don't know what's going on.
I am not sure that he - or any other cat, for that matter - necessarily stops wanting to go outside just because they find out it is too cold to be outside!!! So, he could still be 'whining' about not being outside anyway. Do you have a cat tree, preferably one that is near a window, that you could redirect him too if he isn't going to be outside? If it can be set up near a window, you could even place a bird feeder a bit a way from the window that would allow him to watch outdoor activities?

I am not sure how you can stop him from meowing when ultimately he gets what he wants by getting outside - even when he doesn't want to stay out there. Meow = get to go outside!! You can ask your other half to ignore him, but then you have to do the same and don't let him outside - and, I don't think that is what you really want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

derekg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old us the kitty???And did u take him to VET for his respiratory issues
I was going to but he turned the corner and started getting better. Last night I brought him in for the evening and he didn't cough or sneeze at all. It was a rough week of him contracting and getting full blown "flu" to another week of recovering but he's fine now. I will be getting all the cats their booster vaccines.

Do you have a cat tree, preferably one that is near a window, that you could redirect him too if he isn't going to be outside? If it can be set up near a window, you could even place a bird feeder a bit a way from the window
Yep, Sanchez get a choice spot to look outside and/or sleep when he's in. There's another cat tree next to a windows and a hummingbird feeder with a circular "basket" that all the cats love to sleep in (he has outgrown but still manages to fit.)

Alright, sounds like there is no easy or common solution for this issue. I like the idea that he's responding to my calling him because I was directing him to food bowls and making sure he was eating and drinking when he was sick. I may have inadvertently encouraged him. I'll see if being quieter and simply shaking the food bowl or other techniques with less talking might help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, Sanchez get a choice spot to look outside and/or sleep when he's in. There's another cat tree next to a windows and a hummingbird feeder with a circular "basket" that all the cats love to sleep in (he has outgrown but still manages to fit.)

Alright, sounds like there is no easy or common solution for this issue. I like the idea that he's responding to my calling him because I was directing him to food bowls and making sure he was eating and drinking when he was sick. I may have inadvertently encouraged him. I'll see if being quieter and simply shaking the food bowl or other techniques with less talking might help.
;) How about a second cat tree that he can actually comfortably fit in?? I don't think there is an easy fix. I think he wants to go outside, and you want to let him. So, how you stop him from meowing unless you want him to not go outside is a mystery to me!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Install a cat door?

My guy meows when he gets bored & he LOVES to sing in my bathroom (good acoustics?) I don’t know why. Ignoring him didn’t help. Talking to him/answering him gets him to be quiet in a few meows.