Meowing while showering

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 1.5 year old cat has started sitting in the bathroom and meowing sadly while I shower. I haven't changed soaps or shampoo. This just started last week when I took a shower during rain. She's eating normally, litter box habits are the same, and still playful and cuddly. My husband jokes that she thinks I'm drowning myself, but the meowing is breaking my heart. Anyone know why she might be doing this?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This cracks me up.. I'm sorry, and I know that you're really worried about her, but it's something some cats do. Nilah insists on following me into the bathroom... she jumps up on the top of the shower and looks down on me, meowing. But she simply must be there to supervise.She settles down if I talk to her soothingly.

I had another cat that used to walk around the edge of the bathtub meowing at me while I was having a soak. Once again, she absolutely insisted on being there and would meow at the door if I hadn't let her in.

Did your girl get wet in the rain? Maybe she's realised that that's what standing under water feels like, she really didn't like it and why on earth is my human doing it deliberately? :eek2:
Honestly, nothing to worry about. It could well be that she loves you and doesn't want you getting all wet. :lovecat3:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe have the shower curtain open just enough for her to see you and see that you are ok.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl Blackie does the same thing. She seems more worried than sad though, meowing during the entire time I'm in there. It's funny to see the contrast of her solid black paw poking past the white shower curtain/tile and into the shower. She also likes to knock the shampoo off the shelf while I'm in there. She says in the bathroom until I am finished to make sure I did not drown.
IMG_1219.JPG

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A long time ago we had quite a mischievous cat who was fascinated with the tub/shower. He would also meow but just wanted to sit on the ledge of the bathtub. I didn't shoo him away and he was content. In fact, when I came out of the tub he would jump in and splash the water with his paws. :lol: