Meowing problem.

suri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Mialo who's about 1yr and a half has always had a meowing problem since he was a kitten. I thought it was funny and just a vocal cat which that might be the case. He's fixed and has been to the vet, perfectly healthy. He has no other behavioral problems besides playfully attacking people but that was solved with a squirt bottle and some dominance. Anyway, he meows through out the day and night sometimes it last for hours. I'm not sure why he does this, hes free fed, has a kitty tower for fun, even has another cat to play with. I'm guessing its boredom because he's chewed up a box and clawed the carpet. I just don't know what to do about this meowing..and its not soft little crys.. its deep howling kind of meows. Its fine during the day but at night my partner and I need sleep!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, he is neutered and has a cat companion and pal?

The bellows are most typical for whole toms/studs, but you do have them too...

Next try would be to give him more to do.
Say, set up a bird feeder outside your windows. so he can watch the birds through the glas, but the birds are perfectly safe.

You do have a balcony? Set a strong net around and above, and let him use this balcony...

Some calm, soft music played...

Good luck!

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a noisey one too. He seems to be doing it when he is boerd. I hung cat toys from the ceiling. My Mother hates that. But my little Peanut loves it and a few squeek so they call to him. Sure there are seven other cats he COULD play with. But they won't lower themselves to play. They play in their own circle for one hour in morning.
Peanut plays continuely.
My guess,your kitty wants something to do

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wesley can't have a thought without vocalizing it.

We have a bird feeder, two cat trees, various cat shelves, tons of toys, wand toy interaction pretty close to everyday, and a sister that is mostly attached to the hip with him, yet he's still noisy.

He does the bellows sometimes when I'm sleeping until his sister comes running to play with him, but occasionally she just stays laying with me in which case I just yell "SHUTUP!" and he does. Its the only thing I know of that works.

Personally, I think noisy cats are just noisy cats. Wesley's sister very rarely if ever lets out a peep, and they are from the same litter in the same environment since they were born.

These don't seem to be super durable, but are apparently very popular:
http://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Mou...025141&sr=8-53

Might try putting it out somewhere you have tile like in the kitchen right before you go to bed.

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an interesting query because I have one cat that goes nuts with meowing and sometimes very loud yowling but only when she gets hold of her favourite objects : foam balls. She always brings them to me but late at night and she always meows and sometimes yowls really loud. I end up calling her and she brings me her ball, but it's a really interesting behaviour

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of mine does that too. It can drive me absolutely nuts. But I figured out what the problem was - he needs variety. Sometimes I just let him into the garage so that he can climb on the shelves and hang out on the roof of my car. But what he likes even better is going outside for a bit. He's an indoor cat but I will let him out on a 25-30 foot leash tied to our porch. He just lays on the pavement and squirms or chases bugs in the grass. An hour or two usually does the trick for his boredom. Now I just keep his harness on at all times and when he's being a pain I just put him out on his leash (I see him from the window or I sit outside with him). Since we started doing this he rarely howls at night anymore.
The problem now is that he will sit by the door and meow but I prefer that to what it was before.

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats just like to "talk" A LOT lol. Have you tried interactive toys? I think Petsmart has some that make noise and move, and maybe some of the toys that have treats on the inside. You can try switching his toys out every couple of days to keep him entertained
How's his hearing? I've been told that kittens who have trouble hearing can be very loud and vocal... Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I guess its time to get new toy's. Since the cat tower and his cat friend isn't enough. I'm thinking about letting him outside on a leash, he does always seem to want to go out. He's even tried to make a run for it. Hopefully that will solve the problem because this is really getting out of hand.