Meowing more frequently

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About a month and a half ago, my boyfriend and I went out of town for 4 nights and left our 2 cats in the care of a cat sitter, who came in 2 times a day to feed them and check on them. 

When we got back, my shy kitty Michaleto seemed to "check in" a bit more than he used to, seeming to me like he was making sure we were still there. He is a very sensitive little boy and I think this really disrupted him.

About a week after we got back, he disappeared for 2 days. When he came back he was clean, and all around fine (besides being HUNGRY!)

Since then, I haven't gotten a good night's rest. 

It seems like every couple of hours or so, he either stands in the hallway outside my bedroom, or a few feet from the bed and makes this sad, sad sound. (He doesn't know how to meow, so its this little high pitched noise that is his version of a meow that wakes me every time.) He never used to do this. In fact, he used to roam around outside most of the night. He never slept in bed with me before either, and now in the morning, he came be found sleeping on my feet several times a week.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas why he is acting this way...

To me it shows up that he might be a little insecure, and afraid we are going to just disappear, so he checks in all night long while we sleep. 

He also has taking to sleeping in the hallway on the floor just outside my bedroom when he's not in the bed.

Is this some kind of separation anxiety? Do you think he's afraid of getting lost or too far away from us again? What should I do to reassure him??

He has also taken to jumping on countertops and fishing around in the sink... which is a new thing. He only jumps down when I walk right up to him and say DOWN. (But of course he gives me a little meow first.

He's acting out, and trying to say something, but I am just not sure of what exactly. He is a healthy cat at a great weight, very athletic and still playful, and has a very good appetite. 

Thanks in advance!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Standard questions:

1) Is he neutered?

2) When was his last vet visit? Did he see one after he disappeared?

It could be separation anxiety. Some cats are more prone to insecurity. What you can do to help him now is to spend more time with him during the day. Lots of play, talking, interacting. Get an old shirt and sweat in it, and give it to him. Put it near his favorite place, or a bed if he has one. The shirt saturated with your scent will reassure him when you aren't around. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@FhiCat

Thanks.

He is a sensitive boy, it's hard to tell what may upset his delicate balance.

I do give him attention away from his brother, one on one, as often as possible. He's very quirky though... he'll come up next to me on the couch or sit on me when I am sleeping, but if I pet him, he's out. Just wants to be NEAR

He is neutered, and no, didn't see a vet after getting lost. The trip to the vet nearly traumatizes him every time , so I try to only go when completely necessary.

Thanks for your input, it helps :) 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just wondering if it could be something that happened while he disappeared, to cause this change in behavior. Always a good idea to rule out a medical issue first.

As for not letting you pet him, it's perfectly normal. My cat was like that at first. It took him several months before he'll allow me to pet him, and even now he isn't cuddly like other cats. He wants to be near me, he'll let me pet him, but he'll walk off after a few minutes.