Meowing in the Morning

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper has always been a quiet cat.  He rarely makes a sound beyond purring.  He's the quietest cat I've ever seen.

So... within the last week, he has been coming into the bedroom in the morning and meowing.  The first time he did it, we were kind of worried because it is so out of character for Casper to make a sound.

Since the weather has been getting warmer, we have been leaving the patio door open.  We have cat proof screen and we duct tape the screen shut so there is no chance of him getting out by accident.  (Casper is a 100% indoor cat.)

Of course, Casper parks himself in front of the patio door to watch the birds and squirrels come to the bird feeder as soon as it's light out.  That is where he maintains his vigil for most of the day... at or near the patio door.

Whenever we leave the house for more than a couple of minutes or whenever we go to bed, we close and lock the patio door for security reasons.  Whenever we close the door, Casper just gives us a look like he wants us to keep the door open for him.  We DO open the door for Casper (and ourselves) as soon as we get up in the morning or first thing when we get home.  He'll be at his post again in short order.

So...  I THINK that Casper is coming up to the bedroom in the morning to ask us to open the patio door for him.

One other thing that makes me believe this is true...  He brings his favorite catnip mouse with him to the bedroom.  He puts is on the floor and sits next to it when he meows at us.

If I'm reading Casper's cat psychology correctly...

Casper sees the birds and squirrels on the patio and he wants to hunt them.

Casper associates his catnip mouse as something to hunt and pounce on.

Casper brings his "hunting thing" upstairs to the bedroom as if to say, "I want to hunt things."

Casper meows at us to wake us up so that we'll see his "hunting thing" and know that he wants us to open the door so that he can hunt birds and squirrels.

What do you think?

I think it's actually pretty cute!  :)

The only thing that's out of the ordinary is that, up until now, Casper has almost never meowed for anything and this is the first time we have ever heard him make a peep.

kobeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, Casper might be looking for a mate, since my cats usually do that when they need a mate or sometimes, they just need attention from you.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, Casper might be looking for a mate, since my cats usually do that when they need a mate or sometimes, they just need attention from you.
I was thinking something along the same lines: he wakes you up in the morning for attention.

And the bringing you his toys/"kill" is a gift to you. He loves you [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ My kitty will meow when she brings me her toys as if to announce it so I can admire her hunting prowess [emoji]128569[/emoji] Take it as a complement!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe Casper is neutered. Have you considered spaying and neutering your cats? It will be much more peaceful, and they will be far healthier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Casper has been neutered. He was neutered before we adopted him. :)

I also think he wants attention. I was just surprised that he started meowing so abruptly when, until now, he's been such a quiet cat. He purrs and murrs often but a full-on meow is quite rare for him. To hear him come to the bedroom at 6:00 a.m. was quite startling, at first. We thought something was wrong until we saw him sitting there with his favorite mouse.

I'm a bona fide night owl. Just last night, at about 4:00 a.m., I was sitting in the office/computer room. (Across the hall from the bedroom.) I was awake and Girl-Human was asleep in the bedroom. Casper brought his mouse upstairs and meowed in the bedroom doorway. I heard him and went in to pay some attention to him so that he wouldn't wake up Girl-Human.

He followed me downstairs where I talked to him and petted him. I played with him a little bit. (He won't play with me very much even though he will play with his Girl-Human.) I opened the patio door for him, even though it was still dark outside and the birds weren't active, yet. I hung out with him for about five or ten minutes then went back upstairs to the office.

About ten minutes later, he brought his mouse back up to the bed room, this time to the middle of the bedroom at the foot of the bed, and started meowing again.

Casper has always thought of her as his "Main Human." Except for the fact that he acts so shy around me (the Guy-Human) I don't mind Girl-Human being his Main Human. We adopted Casper because she wanted to have a cat to keep her company so that just means everything's going according to plan. Right? ;)

I just think it's funny that Casper brought his mouse upstairs and begged for attention from his Main Human even though his "Other Human" was right there to give him attention if he wanted it. :lol3: