Meowing bouts at night- Please help!

mmoores

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! So I have a 7-year-old cat (Sophie) and before getting married about a month ago, she would sleep with me every night. The problem is my now husband already had a 3-year-old German shepherd (Ryley), so we have to keep the door closed at night to not give her an opportunity to get into trouble while we sleep. Usually, Sophie comes out of her napping spot around 10 or so and meows at the door to come in. She tends to last a little while this first time but has been getting into a cycle of meowing to come in and then asking to leave again over and over, with maybe 5-10 minute gaps in between each bout of meows. I don't mind getting up to let her in and out to some degree, but when it is going on until 3 or later in the morning, it's hard to handle. I've tried ignoring it going both directions, but she lasted 20-30 minutes of pretty constant meowing before I would just give in. By this point, my husband that works early mornings was woken up and I've lost sleep. Her litter, food, etc aren't in our room, but this is still odd behavior for her because she used to stay with me the whole night until it was time for breakfast in the morning before I got married. Also, she and the pup have been getting along pretty well, Ryley mostly leaves her alone or tries to play a little, and Sophie tolerates or ignores her. It's not great, but Ryley has zero aggression towards her, so I don't think that's why she has been doing this. Does anyone know what could cause this behavior and what we could do to correct it, or at least lengthen the time between meowing bouts? I understand she is just meowing to communicate, but it is tough when it is in the middle of the night.

Somewhat different but Sophie has also learned his morning schedule and has since been meowing for breakfast at first right before his alarm would go off, but now she has gotten to 40 minutes or even an hour before either of us needs to be up in the morning. Like the other meowing behavior, she won't stop if we ignore it, yelling or being stern has no effect, blowing on her face is just a temporary distraction, and even spraying with water has little impact. How can we adjust what she thinks of as breakfast time?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!!

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! So I have a 7-year-old cat (Sophie) and before getting married about a month ago, she would sleep with me every night. The problem is my now husband already had a 3-year-old German shepherd (Ryley), so we have to keep the door closed at night to not give her an opportunity to get into trouble while we sleep. Usually, Sophie comes out of her napping spot around 10 or so and meows at the door to come in. She tends to last a little while this first time but has been getting into a cycle of meowing to come in and then asking to leave again over and over, with maybe 5-10 minute gaps in between each bout of meows. I don't mind getting up to let her in and out to some degree, but when it is going on until 3 or later in the morning, it's hard to handle. I've tried ignoring it going both directions, but she lasted 20-30 minutes of pretty constant meowing before I would just give in. By this point, my husband that works early mornings was woken up and I've lost sleep. Her litter, food, etc aren't in our room, but this is still odd behavior for her because she used to stay with me the whole night until it was time for breakfast in the morning before I got married. Also, she and the pup have been getting along pretty well, Ryley mostly leaves her alone or tries to play a little, and Sophie tolerates or ignores her. It's not great, but Ryley has zero aggression towards her, so I don't think that's why she has been doing this. Does anyone know what could cause this behavior and what we could do to correct it, or at least lengthen the time between meowing bouts? I understand she is just meowing to communicate, but it is tough when it is in the middle of the night.

Somewhat different but Sophie has also learned his morning schedule and has since been meowing for breakfast at first right before his alarm would go off, but now she has gotten to 40 minutes or even an hour before either of us needs to be up in the morning. Like the other meowing behavior, she won't stop if we ignore it, yelling or being stern has no effect, blowing on her face is just a temporary distraction, and even spraying with water has little impact. How can we adjust what she thinks of as breakfast time?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!!
What has helped me I crate two of my kitties at night. I have one that had free run of the house at night. But I had to do this because of my sanity. She might not like it at first but she will get used to it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My inlaws put certain cats (they have 6 total) inside their garage at night. They have food and water in there as well as beds and blankets. They live in Georgia so it's never really cold in there. The cats willingly go in there so they must like having their own space each night away from the others.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My inlaws put certain cats (they have 6 total) inside their garage at night. They have food and water in there as well as beds and blankets. They live in Georgia so it's never really cold in there. The cats willingly go in there so they must like having their own space each night away from the others.
My cats are used to their crates. I put a cover over their crates and dont wake up until I get up around 5 ish. Yes my senior kitty loves it when my other two go to sleep. She should try the crate. It might work.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I don't know if this is possible for you, but you could install a cat door on the bedroom door that would admit the cat, but too small to admit the dog. That gives her a place to get away if The Worst should happen (although it sounds like it wouldn't). She can also come and go as she pleases. As for feeding, it takes about 3-4 weeks of TOTALLY IGNORING (or pretending to) meows to effect a change. Some cats might do a bit better, but plan on that length of time. The alternative that is easiest is a timed feeder that will feed her automatically at a preset time...say, 45 minutes before the alarm goes off. She'll learn that her food will magically appear at that time, and no other (although they can be preset for twice a day).

And be so thankful that she meows! When my girl wants me up, she sticks her paw in my mouth and jerks on my cheek. I defy any normal human to be able to even pretend to ignore that! AND I KNOW WHERE THOSE PAWS HAVE BEEN!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I don't know if this is possible for you, but you could install a cat door on the bedroom door that would admit the cat, but too small to admit the dog. That gives her a place to get away if The Worst should happen (although it sounds like it wouldn't). She can also come and go as she pleases. As for feeding, it takes about 3-4 weeks of TOTALLY IGNORING (or pretending to) meows to effect a change. Some cats might do a bit better, but plan on that length of time. The alternative that is easiest is a timed feeder that will feed her automatically at a preset time...say, 45 minutes before the alarm goes off. She'll learn that her food will magically appear at that time, and no other (although they can be preset for twice a day).

And be so thankful that she meows! When my girl wants me up, she sticks her paw in my mouth and jerks on my cheek. I defy any normal human to be able to even pretend to ignore that! AND I KNOW WHERE THOSE PAWS HAVE BEEN!
If a cat door isn't possible, maybe an eye hook that keeps the door open just enough that the cat can fit through but not the dog.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the cat door or hook ideas are great. This way Sophie can come and go but the puppy will stay in the room.