Meowing and hanging out in windows

missyrogue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I became an unexpected cat owner about a week ago. A lovely little orange tabby female was waiting on my steps when I arrived home from shopping. I do usually leave food out for strays and the dish was empty, so I assumed she was one who found it empty and decided to hang around to see if it refilled. But when I opened my door she dashed inside and promptly took up residence on a fleece blanket on the couch. I checked around the neighborhood and no is sure where she came from, though someone said their kid said he saw her being dumped on the side of the road by a car, but I can't verify this as she has no I.D. She seems like a house cat though, she runs to me and dances around under my feet when I prepare her food and when I put a litterbox down she knew immediatly what it was for. She isn't too people friendly though, she will not be picked up, and will only come near me when I'm sleeping/relaxing. If I reach for her at anytime she doesn't ask by headbutting me, she will either lunge for me or run and hide and not come out for hours.

However, she sits in my windows all day and meows as if she wants to go out. She will press her face up against it and watch everything and give a mournful me-ow-ow-ow-ow and warble on.

Is she asking to go back outside? Is she just stressed because its an environment change? Or simply trying to see if there are any other kitties outside who will answer? I don't want to let her outside really, its cold here, and beyond the weather we have a lot of loose dogs and an occasional wild animal that comes down from the mountains I live near. I would like to know why she carries on like that though, she's safe, warm, fed, and seems to enjoy the household items turned toys she has.

Thanks!

conor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its hard to say the exact reason as why any cat meows while staring at the window, but doing this is a common pastime of any indoor cat. They see all and hear all, who knows, maybe they are calling for something outside, or calling for you to come see what they are seeing. Theres to many factors to determine the true answer.

But as you stated above, she could be a little uneasy about the enviroment change, from suddently coming from the cold dangerous outdoors into a nice warm house with a stranger, food, and toys.

Or maybe she just misses the freedom of being outdoors.

thewxkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves looking out the window and meowing. She used to watch the neighbor's cat. And the neighbors, for that matter. Perhaps your cat has a buddy outside?

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Max and Serena will sit in the window and meow until I open it. I don't let them out, but I open the glass part so they can look out of the screen and feel the breeze. I know, spoiled, right?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. You sound as if you have a new companion! Will you keep her? I would not worry about her meowing - she is in a strange environment and even though she is warm and safe she may hanker after going out. Also, she may not be spayed so you never know when she could go into heat and want out to find a tom. I would decide what you are going to do as far as the future is concerned and then, if you keep her, take her to a vet to be checked out and spayed if she has not already been done. Good luck with her.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't ever try to figure out why cats do what they do. They are all different and they do what they want to, no explanations needed. Congratulations on your new family member. It is a blessed little cat to find such a good home, only proof that they are very smart and know exactly what they are doing.

tortybunches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SerenasMommy

Max and Serena will sit in the window and meow until I open it. I don't let them out, but I open the glass part so they can look out of the screen and feel the breeze. I know, spoiled, right?
Ditto here!