Meow when going to the litter box????

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes our cat meow's when going to the litter box.
I clean it everyday.
New litter every week.
Doesn't matter if it's clean or not, she sometimes stills meow's.
Does her business without a problem.
Unless she has hairballs.
Problem????

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can be a sign that the cat is in some type of distress. Constipated possibly, or problems urinating causing discomfort or pain or even general pain from squatting in the box (joint pain or whatever). My cat meows sometimes when in the litter box but he is 12 years old and has done so since we got him when he was a kitten. It hasn't been a result of any medical issues. If the meowing is new, or becomes an all the time thing, you may want to discuss with the Veterinarian.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats like to announce when they're using the litter box :dunno: Just one of those cat quirks. If your cat is using the litter box just fine, I wouldn't worry about the meowing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is getting old.
Just started this year.
She just went to the vet for her yearly.
Forgot to tell him.

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat is young and he always make a public announcement when ever he uses the litter box
he has no medical problem thankfully .. now their 1 year old son .. have the same habit of meowing when using litter box and he too have no medical problem .. i guess its not that serious its actually funny

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is getting old. 13 Just started this year. She just went to the vet for her yearly. Forgot to tell him.
If she is peeing and pooping fine, it is likely arthritis and probably has been going on a while already but has now progressed to a new level where it is bothering her more.

Has the vet done any x-rays recently? If so, and depending on what areas of the body the x-rays were done, it would likely show if there is some arthritis in one or more of her joints. If not, you could just take her in for an x-ray or two. Most of the time there is no need to sedate a cat for basic x-rays, so it could be as simple as an appointment just for the x-rays. And, you could talk to the vet later about the results.

If you don't want to get x-rays, you can also just talk to the vet via phone about putting her on some OTC meds for arthritis, such as Cosequin, Dasequin, or even what I have Feeby on (15+ yo) which is Glyco Flex Plus. These contain the same kinds of joint health products used by humans: glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels. Unless she has some medical condition that would preclude these types of meds, the vet would likely give their OK for you to try one and might even make a recommendation for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She runs and jumps fine.
Uses the box without problems.
I wonder if she's just getting old.
She sometimes just sits and looks at nothing.