Meow Strained?

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, I just want some opinions about my kitty.

He's an 11 year old Himalayan, he has a history of allergies and runny eyes. In the past years he would have sporadic coughing due to allergies/ asthma. It's a seasonal occurrence. Sometimes his purr sounds mungy even. ( I give him l lysine for his eye runs , works great)

So lately his meow is quieter, higher pitched, or sometimes I'll even get the silent meow. Other than a "strained" meow he's perfectly normal, eating, drinking, playing with our 1 year old cat , purring etc. the meow issue has been for maybe 2 weeks. No nasal discharge nothing else abnormal going on. He has not gotten any worse.

Should I just write the meow issue off as his allergies? Am I just being paranoid? At what point would he need to go to the vet? I'm almost certain that this has happened to him before and he just got better on its own. I just feel like he should be better by now?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have the vet check him out. Thyroid issues can make a cat hoarse, as can tonsillitis. With a senior cat getting the full blood panel and workup is also a good idea just to be sure nothing is brewing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt it's a hairball, he gets hairball paw gel, and immune support paw gel too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd also like to add he has not gained or lost any weight.