Memorable meals

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a combination of urge to travel and total boredom with my meals that has gotten me thinking about the special meals I have had away from home. I thought it might be a fun topic for us to share. My top three
1. A dinner at a converted bordello in Nashville. Through out your meal waiters brought by samples of delicacies that you might not otherwise try like frogs legs and alligator.
2. A burger joint in South Dakota, so small you had to walk through the kitchen to use the restroom. But the best burgers and fries I have ever had and definitely didn’t expect.
3. A simple meal in Las Vegas when I was hot and tired and suddenly realized I had to eat NOW. A Strawberry Julius and a freshly made corn dog. The combo of crunchy hot and icy cold was perfect.

How about you?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Many years ago, we stayed at the Hotel Monaco in downtown Denver. We had breakfast at Panzano, the restaurant in the hotel, and they served Eggs Benedict over fresh basil on slices of crispy, fried polenta. It sounds odd but it was absolutely the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had. (And they had goldfish that you could keep in your room during your stay! The swimming kind, not the cracker kind. :) )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Tobermory Tobermory , I have stayed in many, many hotels but never got goldfish! What a unique experience and the food sounds delicious.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, Tobermory Tobermory , I have stayed in many, many hotels but never got goldfish! What a unique experience and the food sounds delicious.
It's part of the Kimpton group of hotels. They stopped offering goldfish companions in 2018, though. Probably just as well. No telling how some people might have treated them. :(

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my best meals was at the Oaks Lodge on Chippewa Lake near my house.
They've changed hands and don't serve meals like this anymore. People say food
like this is "dated" I think you all know me well enough by now to know what my response
is, "Ask me how much I care." hee, hee

Everytime we would go in nice weather we would eat outside facing the lake.

Lobster Bisque
Smoked salmon app.
Tableside Caesar salad
Filet mignon and lobster tail
potatoes Anna
Chocolate Mousse

Cheeseburgers from Bob's, a diner next to the library that we went to growing up which is not there anymore, best burger ever!!

susanm9006 susanm9006 My kind of thread🐖👍

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, many of my most memorable meals are because of who helped me cook or how I tried something. For example, and many of you have already heard about this, one night on Good Eats, Alton talked about doing a prime rib in a terra cotta planter. Rick's mom and I were talking about it and she said, "You get the planter and I'll buy the roast!" And we did it. Turned out beautifully. We did traditional Yorkshire pudding, gravy, etc. Such a good meal and it's something that I don't forget.

When I was very young, my grandmother spent the day with Mom. And when we came home from school, there was Grandma and a ton of apple dumplings. We had apple dumplings for dinner. Nothing else, just apple dumplings with milk. And I think I hit Cloud 9 that night. She came down regularly and she always, always baked for us.

Also when young, it was in the middle of winter. Dad got called out to the hospital to plow snow. Mom was making fried chicken and waffles. We three kids were on the living room floor, watching an Abbot and Costello movie. Dad got home and we all went to the table. And that night? With the snow swirling outside and the wind howling, all was right in our little world. We were safe. For some reason, that dinner has always stuck in my mind.

So while restaurant meals are really neat and different, it's not those that I remember so much as being with family. Maybe that's because I've gotten older. My grandmother has been gone forever now, my parents are gone, Rick's mom is in a nursing home. But those are things that I will remember always.