Members in the Pacific northwest

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are staying cool! Any idea on how long your historic heat wave will last? My son left this morning for another (partial) hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. He will be starting in Washington, going southbound. His former girlfriend is starting her hike southbound on July 5. Worried about both in this heat. There has already been one death from the heat on the trail in California.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sister, 2 years older than me, who just moved to Washington from North Carolina last year. We got an email from their daughter 2 days ago telling us that it was 115° out there. That is dangerous heat to be out hiking in, no matter how young and fit you might be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they both have safe journeys. Are they planning on meeting up at some point?
I don't think they plan on meeting up. Nate is starting 5 days before her and is much more experienced than she is so will cover ground faster. I know he is worried about her though. This is my son pictured doing his newest passion - climbing. No wonder my hair is gray!
204914400_10219661210897556_7967580072344110631_n.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I sincerely hope both Nate and his ex will be safe. I'm assuming they know their limitations and would stop or take a brief intermission should they feel the heat is too oppressive. Fingers crossed for both of them. :crossfingers:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sincerely hope both Nate and his ex will be safe. I'm assuming they know their limitations and would stop or take a brief intermission should they feel the heat is too oppressive. Fingers crossed for both of them. :crossfingers:
Nate will night hike when it is dangerously hot. He has a gps that he checks in with when he sets up camp. I didn't get the email last night but he had said he was having trouble with it when he messaged me yesterday morning. Yesenia has promised to add me to her gps notification when she starts her hike on Monday.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your son's deep gash on his leg. I'm glad he will be able to see a doctor. Please keep us posted on Nate and the doctor's advice. Fingers crossed for Yesenia as she starts her hike today. :crossfingers:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Nate using InReach satellite GPS and satellite communications?

My sister at 66 is getting closer to finishing the PCT in California.
I can track her progress via a website, yet she has to have the InReach on periodically to give a location.
They need to conserve battery power. She was on a 30 day hike with only a few stops to repower and reload food and water.
A couple years ago, she got caught at 9,500 feet above the fires.
I sent her a text via the InReach website to get to highway ahead and we would contact County Sheriffs to evacuate her to the east.
My niece contacted the Sherrifs.
No one picked her up for two hours, so my sister activated the InReach SOS feature.
The InReach staff knew who she was, where she was and that she needed to be evacuated due to fire.
They then asked her to confirm what they knew.
They told her CHP would be dispatched.
A CHP cruizer drove up picked her up and they went back west through the fire at night, with firefighters fighting the fire along the road.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Nate and Yesenia are using InReach. I insisted that Nate use it the first time he hiked long distance ( the John Muir trail) and he has used it ever since to keep his ol'Mom from worrying to much. That is scary about your sister! Has she done the entire 2600 +/- miles? My hat is off to her because I couldn't do even a few miles (bad knees), even though I am only a year older!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow GPS's have come a long way in 15 years! I got DH a Garmin one years ago when he was still doing more backpacking and they were pretty new. It definitely didn't have features like that. The absolute worst night of my life was when FIL insisted on "bushwacking" to reach a trail he'd been on some time before but they didn't ever find it. And the terrain made it so they couldn't go back up and they spent the night on a mountain until they found someone's cabin. DH likes to say they knew right where they were because they had the GPS. They just couldn't get back. (Still not funny to me...) And they had no way to notify us. FIL has mostly given up hiking even short hikes or we'd probably be pooling with his sister on something like this (he's 84). Being able to check in from time to time would give me so much more peace of mind!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ posiepurrs posiepurrs
She has not done the whole trail.
She started in Southern California and does sections each year.
She missed 2020.
In 2019 She went by Lake Tahoe and past Donors Pass.
She repeated a couple sections that she liked including the addons of Mount Whitney.
She is not the fastest on the trail. Yet she does it alone, much of the time.
I think her life goals are to complete all of the PCT in California.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ posiepurrs posiepurrs
She has not done the whole trail.
She started in Southern California and does sections each year.
She missed 2020.
In 2019 She went by Lake Tahoe and past Donors Pass.
She repeated a couple sections that she liked including the addons of Mount Whitney.
She is not the fastest on the trail. Yet she does it alone, much of the time.
I think her life goals are to complete all of the PCT in California.
Nothing wrong with section hiking! My son loved climbing Mt Whitney to watch the sunrise. I am to much of a wimp to do it even if I was able to do it. I like having a shower, toilet and a bed.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in southern Oregon. Here’s the forecast for the next week.
96187A4E-B269-4549-8099-B16B23EBD0C7.jpeg

The heat is a problem, but the absolute lack of humidity and no appreciable rain for months makes everything up and down the West Coast incredibly dangerous. When I checked last night, there are now three fires burning in Northern California, and tanker planes are flying in and out of our airport to fill up with water.