Megacolon in neuro/back issues cat... Help with questions for new vet??

hellagoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My nearly 5yo cat with neuro and back side issues has been struggling with chronic constipation for a while, and unfortunately had to be taken to the ER last night and is going to require manual removal of his feces.

I've decided that what I've been doing (as recommended by my vet) has just not been working clearly, and I'm going to switch to a new vet with more experience with megacolon these issues kinds of issues.

At this point, I am willing to do just about anything regularly in terms of maintenance to try and keep my kitty from getting constipated... And would like to come up with a good list of questions about specific possibilities and options for my new vet... And thought all of you might have some great suggestions or ideas. Id really appreciate anything you think might help!.

Currently he is on cisapride, and my old vet put him on Lactulose literally as of this past weekend (I had been trying miralax on and off before that).

One question will be if he should continue these, and if so at what dosage (currently he is on 5mg of cisapride twice a day, and up to 3cc's of Lactulose daily as needed, but as I said the Lactulose was just prescribed this weekend). Does anyone have experience in terms of dosages of either, or any thoughts or recommendations in that regard?

Any other prescription medications I should ask about?

He is on Hill's prescription w/d diet.. And again, it doesn't quite seem that this is working clearly... Is there any other diets I should specifically ask about?

Other options I've found online and by looking at past threads here include regular enemas done at home as maintenance to keep him from getting constipated before any problem arises... Has anyone had luck with this? Any specific kind of enemas that I should ask the vet about?

I've also seen some talk of regularly giving cats with chronic constipation/megacolon other forms of stool softeners or laxatives such as Aloe Vera juice (the filtered form that's safe for cats), mineral oil, pumpkin puree... Any experience/thoughts about these? Any other stool softeners or laxatives or anything like that I should ask about?

I've also read about administering subcutaneous fluids at home, has anyone had luck with this with a cat with megacolon? Something I should bring up with new vet?

Lastly, because he does have some neuro/spine/back issue, is there any treatment for that I should ask about that might help keep him from getting constipated? I have read a bit about steroids as a possibility? As well as gabapentin? Any expriences/thoughts? Any other treatments I should ask about on that side of things?

Any other questions/comments/ideas would be so appreciated, this all has me very stressed out, because both in terms of my cats happiness, and my financial situation, regular vet visits to get him unconstipated are really taking their toll and aren't something I can continue doing every couple of months.

Thank you all so much for why and all help/thoughts/questions/opinions!!

Last edited:

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello my boy my avatar is 13 years old and I have been dealing with his megacolon since age 3. He has had constipation issues he ended up at the emergency vet a few years ago and they sent me cisipride it is a prescription it has helped my boy. Along with that he gets Miralax. At a vet visit last year the vet prescribed purina EN. So you could ask your vet about those I am not a vet this comes from my own experiences. You could ask about the cisipride I am glad you are going to a vet who specializes in megacolon. I hope you get answer

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this, but followed you from your last thread to this one. I think so far, from what I have read, you are on the right track in terms of things to discuss with your vet. I have read of softeners being added to what you already have him on could help - ditto about the sub-Q fluids. But, I don't think Gabapentin would be helpful - most pain meds can cause constipation. Not sure about the steroids. But, all worth asking about!!!

I think the new vet - with a related background - is the absolute right way to go. Any new meds/treatments will certainly be on a trial basis in terms of dosages/approaches. I think you will find the vet telling you the same thing, but he will at least know where to start!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H hellagoose , since you've already researched so much, and you're seeing a Vet well versed in Megacolon, just ask them the very same questions you've asked here and see what they say.

I have dealt with cats with chronic constipation, but not megacolon. For them, plenty of fluids and using Miralax twice a day, every day. has been key. I don't give them sub-q fluids, but DO add extra water to all of their meals, and all of their meals are wet food, never dry. OH, and if we don't see poop in the litter box in a timely manner, then we also start giving Laxatone for a few days in a row. Oh, for dosage of Miralax, we give 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in water twice per day. The dosage is up to us depending entirely on "output".

Let us know how it goes with the new Vet. Hope you like them.