Megacolon Diagnosis

meowsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping someone out there who has been through something similar can offer some advice, positive stories, or support.

History:
Our baby Meow is 8 years old. We've had no health issues up to now. In July I noticed he was pooping outside the litter, straining, crying. We brought him to vet and they put him on easy digest food, lactulose and husk. This seems to work and eventually we tapered off. We have 2 cats, who use the same litter box, so it's been hard to tell who is doing what. When I would noticeMeow straining or poop outside the litter box, we would start up the same treatment.
Fast forward to two weeks ago, we had a lot of poop outside the litter box in multiple places. This poop was mostly bone dry, rock hard, and large diameter. I started up the same treatment, but no poop last week for 5 days. I called the vet on day 3 (saturday) and they said if he was eating and playing and peeing normally it wasn't an emergency.

Monday (Day 5, and maybe more since we have two cats and hard to tell who is pooping when), still no poop so I brought him to the animal hospital where he was admitted.
First X-ray showed A LOT of impacted feces. The plan was to do multiple enemas with manual extraction with control x-rays in between.
Vet initially said, its borderline megacolon. Not there yet from what she could tell, but possible.
Today (Wednesday) she called me to pick him up. She said the latest enema she removed a lot of feces but the x-ray still showed he had a lot left. She said that since the feces they were removing was soft, they felt it was definitely megacolon and there was nothing else she could do for him at this point. That he would pass it on his own if he was able to. She said the xray showed mild improvement and we are to return in a week for a followup x-ray.

We were sent home with the advise to give him high fiber wet food, lactulose 2x day, and mineral oil 2x a day for the next week until he has the next X-Ray to see if his colon is improving. The vet said there is a chance that it improves, but the prognosis is poor and if he isn't pooping normally within 2 days and the follow-up x-ray shows no improvement that it's time to discuss the options realistically. She said that surgery wasn't an option because it would mean removing his entire colon. (What??)

Tonight we are home. Meow still with old stool in his colon. Arriving home, he was immediately playful and energetic. He ate dinner like a champ, licked the bowl clean. After dinner he seemed visibly uncomfortable and was pacing and went into the litter box, no poop though. A few times tonight, some soft mushy stool has dropped from his behind.
I'm very nervous about that...if he has soft stool in his rectum that he is not able to "push" out, that seems like a really negative sign.

SO, here I am. Hoping that someone out there has a success story, or some advice, or has been in this situation before. Anything to give me some kind of hint what to expect and feel a little less alone in this.

Is it like the vet says, a nearly hopeless case? I can't imagine it when my baby is playful, energic, eating and drinking and only 8 years old.
I am from the US but now living in a very small country in Northern Europe, where I can't imagine vets see this type of thing very often. Hoping there is hope...

+ does anyone have an amazing vet I could get a second opinion from with the xrays this vet took?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never had a cat with megacolon, but until someone here who has responds, here is a pretty good article about it which includes a discussion on the surgery to remove the colon. It's not really as bad as you think (no coloscomy bag needed). But to me it seems a little too soon to be talking about surgery. There are medications to help with motility to get the stool out. I'm kind of surprised they didn't prescribe it, but maybe it's not available where you are :dunno:? Anyway, have a look at this while you are waiting for more responses:

K_Spitzner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your baby is having some trouble going to the bathroom because of megacolon. My cat, Ruthie, who I have had since she was 3 months old was born with megacolon and had impacted feces since the first day we had her (somehow her foster never noticed an issue). She also had to have repeat enemas to give her relief, and it was an issue for a few weeks before we found a system that worked for her. My vet diagnosed her with megacolon from X-rays, and we put her on the Royal Canin Fiber Response dry food and Royal Canin Selected Protein wet food. She also receives Cisapride (1 ml, every morning before food). With this system, she has NOT had any problems and goes to the bathroom normally. I am not sure where you are located (I am in Hudson Valley, NY) but happy to recommend my veterinarian if that would be helpful. I have also read that some surgery for megacolon has been very successful. Here is a link to the Cornell Veterinary website: Ask Elizabeth: What is There to Treat Idiopathic Megacolon? | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Hope this helps!

K_Spitzner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your baby is having some trouble going to the bathroom because of megacolon. My cat, Ruthie, who I have had since she was 3 months old was born with megacolon and had impacted feces since the first day we had her (somehow her foster never noticed an issue). She also had to have repeat enemas to give her relief, and it was an issue for a few weeks before we found a system that worked for her. My vet diagnosed her with megacolon from X-rays, and we put her on the Royal Canin Fiber Response dry food and Royal Canin Selected Protein wet food. She also receives Cisapride (1 ml, every morning before food). With this system, she has NOT had any problems and goes to the bathroom normally. I am not sure where you are located (I am in Hudson Valley, NY) but happy to recommend my veterinarian if that would be helpful. I have also read that some surgery for megacolon has been very successful. Here is a link to the Cornell Veterinary website: Ask Elizabeth: What is There to Treat Idiopathic Megacolon? | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Hope this helps!
I should add that Ruthie is now almost 4 years old and has not had any issues since that first experience when she was 3 months old. There is hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hope this helps!
Hello to you and Ruthie :)
I am from NY and my family is all there still, I miss home in the HV so much. A recommendation would be lovely :)

Cisapride is not available in Denmark where I live now, but I am thinking I can consult a vet in the US and have my mom in NY ship it to me here.

thanks so much for your sweet reply, it's a big comfort. The vet here was very grim, perhaps a combination of not speaking English so well and not having much experience with the condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never had a cat with megacolon, but until someone here who has responds, here is a pretty good article about it which includes a discussion on the surgery to remove the colon. It's not really as bad as you think (no coloscomy bag needed). But to me it seems a little too soon to be talking about surgery. There are medications to help with motility to get the stool out. I'm kind of surprised they didn't prescribe it, but maybe it's not available where you are :dunno:? Anyway, have a look at this while you are waiting for more responses:

Thank you!! This is really comforting and great info. And yep, cisapride is not available here. But I am determined to get my hands on some! thanks again :hearthrob: