Meet the lovebirds!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Literal, not figurative :)

Cupid and Tweety are sisters. Their mom was a lutino peachfaced lovebird (Mimi, ~2000 - Feb 13 2007) and their dad was a regular green peachfaced lovebird (Kiwi, ~2000 - Oct 5 2009).

Cupid

DOB: Feb 13 2002

Sex: Presumed female

Cupid used to be bonded with her younger sister, Angel (Feb 15 2002 - Nov 5 2012). Cupid has a cataract in her left eye, but gets by and flies fine. She's very bird-oriented and loves being near the other birds. She'll step up and accept eskimo kisses, but doesn't really like being touched. She adores bells, vegetables, and shredding paper.

Here's a picture of Angel too:

Tweety

DOB: Feb 17 2002

Tweety had a big plucking wound in her right wing, which has since healed, but she still has an ingrown feather and the skin is thick on that wing and shoulder so she's got a big bald spot there. She has either a liver or heart condition that causes fluid build up in her belly that has to be drained by the vet every month or so... she's also on medication. Tweety is the most human-oriented and affectionate, likely because she's never been bonded to another bird (all the other birds we've had chose their pairs, she was left out), but she likes to sit with me and bwok while she preens my face and hands. She loves head scratches and nuzzling into my palm.

Sunset

DOB: Unknown

Rescued: Apr 24 2005

Sunset was rescued from my relatives' basement where she was the last surviving bird where they used to have about a dozen (and they were breeding a bunch too); she had scummy old water that was nearly dried up, no food, no sunlight, no fresh air, and no interaction. We named her Sunset because she used to look like this:

Little did I know that these orangey spots were red aberrations from liver damage. For whatever reason, she is not flighted (neither was Mimi, who my grandma got from the same "breeder") and they had plans to release her into their back yard during a Canadian winter! These are an African species! I had my cousins take her because my parents said no to me, as I had five lovebirds at the time. They fostered her for a while and I provided a new cage, toys, food, etc. She came to live with me in July of 2005 when both our families went on vacation and my brother watched all the birds, and then I just never gave her back. She only steps up to hands if she knows you're taking her somewhere she wants to go, and she kind of accepts kisses (but not very willingly). She started eating properly and now she looks like this!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They are absolutely beautiful, and very lucky to have you..

Was 'bwok' a typo.. ?? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks! I couldn't think of another way to put it - like a chicken's bwok/cluck, but my lovie does it very quietly when she's grooming me.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, this makes me miss my lovebird, peach faced Aruba. I had to rehome him after 7 years because my cat would not leave him alone, no matter what. It wasn't fair to keep Aruba locked in the bathroom when I wasn't home

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor little guy! It is tough to manage your life around pets that can't be trusted around each other. Both cats really want to come in here, partly due to curiosity and partly to see me, but I'm often busy or distracted so I can't keep 100% of my attention on them in case they decide to go hunting.

That was one of my biggest fears about moving in with my cat-owning boyfriend, so having a second bedroom was non-negotiable for me. Actually, I took the master bedroom for them (and to be my office), lol... it made more sense for me to keep them in the exterior-walled room that wasn't connected to any adjacent suites in case noise ever became an issue.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Haha, thanks! I couldn't think of another way to put it - like a chicken's bwok/cluck, but my lovie does it very quietly when she's grooming me.
I actually thought that's what you meant, but needed to check..

It's a great word!  We should hear it more often...

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous! I love cardinals!!

I would love to get a bird feeder for our balcony, but it's mostly frequented by pigeons and I'm afraid my neighbours would get mad if the lower balconies got pooped on a lot.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're all so pretty. I love birds!  Thank you both for sharing pictures.  I used to feed a pair of cardinals when I lived at home with my parents and those birds knew me by sight.  Once I went for a walk down by the lake and heard birds making quite a bit of noise.  I looked up to see "my" cardinals following along beside me in the trees.  I guess they thought I carried a giant bag of sunflower seeds with me everywhere I went, kind of like Johnny Appleseed.  

(Don't worry...my parents continued to feed them after I moved away.)

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Gorgeous! I love cardinals!!

I would love to get a bird feeder for our balcony, but it's mostly frequented by pigeons and I'm afraid my neighbours would get mad if the lower balconies got pooped on a lot.
Thanks!   LOL, yea, that would not be good! 

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wuaaah those lovebirds are adorable! I love parrots they're my favorite birds! I have two small parakeets but I'm quite concern that my kittens could harm them...

anyway your birdies are really lovely!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The birds get their own bedroom, no cats allowed (there's a sign on the door to warn guests saying so too
)!

They are my babies

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another bump for the little chickens...
These are old pictures, but unfortunately Sunset has a mature cataract in one eye and another rapidly maturing in the other - cataracts develop VERY fast in birds, very much unlike in mammals. It's only a matter of time before she's totally blind, and I think she'll adapt fine, but right now during such a quick transition, she's getting the spooks and jumping off of ledges and trying to fly in a panic (and she can't fly). I hope it doesn't last too long since it's very stressful for her. I thought she was having a seizure when it happened! My poor little chicken.

And so she's not left out, here are some old favourite pictures of Tweety being absolute sweetness

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What gorgeous girls! I love parrots, especially the little fluff ball types like quakers and lovebirds You're so lucky to have such sweeties and it sounds like they're very lucky to have you as well

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm partial to the stout little parrots as well, though I may be biased. They're just so endearing!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Bird Are beautiful.
We have wild parrots flying around outside.