Meet the Breeds at Javits Center NYC Sept 28-29, 2013

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 We were just enjoying Sivaleah's photos from a recent CFA show in New Jersey     So I thought I would mention this upcoming event in the same region.   It's in a huge convention center,  with booths set up  for about 200 breeds of cats and dogs,  and visitors can see, pet and take pictures of the animals and talk to breeders / fanciers.   

http://www.akc.org/meet_the_breeds/the-details.html

I was there the past two years with my cats.   Sivyaleah mentioned in the other thread being impressed with cats being so well behaved.    I heard that a lot at MTB --  many visitors said they were amazed that these cats were so friendly and social at such an event. 

Here is an article from last year that includes a photo slideshow  http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ns-puppies-take-javits-center-by-furry-storm/

and a few pics from the Thai booth  in 2011 & 2012.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any idea whether any cat shows get televised? Like dog shows?  I can't get to the big ones.

I went to my first cat show about six months ago, smallish, local.  I knew (know) nothing about breeds.  My favorite part was when they were judging retired show cats; some cats just like to show but for whatever reason can't/aren't officially shown/get points.   A more relax atmosphere and the judge answered questions from audience.  My other favorite part was when the breeders who won best in breed showed their cat and answered any questions.  I'd like to go to another cat show, one that allows hybrids like the Savannah.

(OT but:  did you see the episode of My Cat From Hell about the show cat who had been retired for a year, brought back onto the circuit, and the cat wasn't liking it.  Jackson told the couple, we'll try to make it more enjoyable for The Cat, but if he still doesn't like being shown, you must agree to retire him permanently. The Cat didn't, and the couple did.)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
aww, it's my birthday weekend and I have plans. I so want to go to one cat show at least and take photos!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay
, I just told work that I am taking off that weekend and since I work in the IT department, that I will not be "on call"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I don't know of cat shows televised in entirety but sometimes a TV news crew shows up and there is a short bit on.    I suppose TV producers think since the cats  don't gait  like the dogs, it may be visually less interesting. ( on the other hand, at least at the North American style shows, they do often play with wand toys!     )

With Meet the Breeds  I think there was some TV coverage of the actual event. but I don't remember what channel.  I do recall that Anthony Hutcherson  ( chair of the Bengal Breed Committee in TICA)  was on Martha Stewart as a sort of pre-event promo, and brought a few cats of different breeds to show off . 

There are quite a few cat show videos on You Tube just mostly shot by  the cats'  humans;  sometimes by someone connected with the event.    Unfortunately the sound is often not so great.   You really need a boom mike in that situation. 

If you're looking for them try including search terms of the show-sanctioning association ,  like CFA, TICA or GCCF  ( which is the world's oldest cat association, in the UK) 

Here is one of my cat Sammy  more formally known as RW SGCA Diabrillante Uncle Sam of Maewkaew.   ( I'm afraid it's not a very educational soundtrack  since its just my friends laughing at him!)

I wonder what mean person decided they didn't like it?  How could someone not like  Sam?  Maybe it is some nut who thinks Sammy was a victim of cruelty for being "forced" to play with toys at a cat show! 

I'm glad you got a chance to see  a ring with the judge answering audience questions.    It is great when the judges talk a lot to the spectators.  Some are much better than others at that.   ( Of  course it also depends on the schedule. If they have a lot of cats to judge and are running behind,  they can't really take time to answer questions.  )

But during the finals  ( when the judge awards their top cats in the show)  they do talk about each cat.    and sometimes they do something like have the owner of the top cat tell about the cat.  or even do that with the whole top 10. 

The Household Pet judging and finals are often quite fun.   

If you want to see exotic hybrids shown, just go to a TICA show if you can find one near you and you will see a lot of Bengals and almost certainly some Savannahs.    Depending on where you are,  maybe even a Chausie.   

I didn't see that episode of MCFH .    Sometimes cats just decide they are through.   but it's also true that sometimes after a break, they can go back out and enjoy it again.   but I'm glad the couple on that show decided to retire him for good if he was not having fun.    
Any idea whether any cat shows get televised? Like dog shows?  I can't get to the big ones.

I went to my first cat show about six months ago, smallish, local.  I knew (know) nothing about breeds.  My favorite part was when they were judging retired show cats; some cats just like to show but for whatever reason can't/aren't officially shown/get points.   A more relax atmosphere and the judge answered questions from audience.  My other favorite part was when the breeders who won best in breed showed their cat and answered any questions.  I'd like to go to another cat show, one that allows hybrids like the Savannah.

(OT but:  did you see the episode of My Cat From Hell about the show cat who had been retired for a year, brought back onto the circuit, and the cat wasn't liking it.  Jackson told the couple, we'll try to make it more enjoyable for The Cat, but if he still doesn't like being shown, you must agree to retire him permanently. The Cat didn't, and the couple did.)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, the video of Sammy is SO cute; he's having a blast!  I'll look for a TICA show.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maewkaew.....I-loved-watching-the-video-of-Sammy!!Thank-you-so-much-for-posting-it!!

Ever-notice,the-judges-disinfect-the-table,-their-hands-and-the-cages,but-not-the-toys?Mine-do-the-same-thing,they-grab-the-feather-toy-in-their-mouth.

The-blue-and-black-harness.....I-have-one-set-of-cage-curtains,like-that,LOL,each-kitty-has-their-own-"colors"-and-its-color-coordinated,with-their-color,LOL.

I-brought-one-out,that-had-not-been-on-the-circuit-for-prob-5-years,I-needed-a-break-from-"the-kittens"-last-season,LOL.It-was-like-he-never-left,picked-it-right-back-up,like-he-had-been-at-a-show-last-weekend.People-got-real-nervous,when-he-came-out-again,he-plays-like-a-madman-on-the-table,his-eyes-get-real-big,looks,like-he-is-on-speed,LOL,only-took-him-to-a-few-shows,and-he-still-made-it-in-the-Top-25.

I-would-bring-him-out-more,but-he-is-all-black,and-I-got-way-too-many-probs-with-spectators,twice,when-he-was-a-kitten,spectators-tried-to-steal-him.I-have-to-set-up-a-"network"-in-my-row,somebody-is-always-there,which-is-why-I-don't-bring-him-out-much-anymore.

Wish-we-were-closer,LOL,would-love-to-meet-you-at-shows.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Ritz & Flint --  I'm glad you enjoyed the video of Sammy !   He is quite a character.      One time he ran all the way up the pole and was starting to climb on top of the framework for the light over the table before the judge decided to scoop him down. Good thing the judge was rather tall.     Then in the final,  when giving him  Best (Allbreed), the judge took him out to do it again and said  "...and as you can see , Thais are alert, active and agile!"  

I am still kicking myself I did not get a video of that time. 

Yes Flint, I have thought about the same thing!  They disinfect everything else but  then they have these toys that many of the cats are actually biting! 

Flint that is terrible about people trying to steal your cat.   Some people put locks on the benching cages. 

Do you mean you think they were more likely to steal him because he was black?  ( That would be like the opposite of the problem shelters have!)      

I know there are some stunning black Maine Coons!  

Last edited:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maewkaew.....the-kittens-did-the-same-thing,both-of-them,when-they-were-little-tykes.
The-first-time-it-happened,I-was-told,by-many-exhibitors,it-was-because,he-was-black,all-black,not-a-spec-of-white-on-him.Both-times,I-went-to-the-show-manager,and-the-people-got-throw-out,2-seperate-shows.One-man,flat-out-told-me-he-was-going-to-steal-him,he-got-tossed-out-too.So-hence,the-"network"-got-set-up,in-my-row.People-didn't-mind,I-watched-their-cats-too.

Was-at-one-big-show-one-year,wall-to-wall-spectators,saw-this-lady,who-I-did-not-know,carrying-a-cat-I-knew,from-my-class's,and-it-was-not-the-owner.

I-stopped-her,and-said,where-do-you-think-you-are-going-with-that-cat,I-know-its-not-your-cat.The-lady-said-its-my-sister's-cat.I-had-one-of-the-kittens-in-my-arms,but-they-accept-all-the-commotion.I-said,well,we-will-see-about-that,and-about-dragged-her-to-the-owners-bench.

Turns-out,it-was-the-sister,LOL.Nobody-was-mad,better-to-question-it,than-to-ignor-it,I-would-want-someone-to-question,a-person,carrying-one-of-the-kittens.

We-still-laugh-about-it,when-I-see-the-sister.

I-thought-about-the-locks,but-I-decided-against-it,in-case-of-a-fire-or-other-emergency,those-few-minutes,might-make-the-difference,in-getting-out-or-not.

I-use-the-pipe-cleaners,the-colored-ones,have-to-color-coordinate,and-twist-them-on-both-doors.Won't-stop-somebody,but-it-would-slow-them-down,so-somebody-in-my-row,might-notice.

Now,I-introduce-myself,to-my-neighbors,I-tell-them,don't-let-nobody-touch-them,they-say,don't-let-nobody-touch-mine-either,it-works-out-well.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm bumping up this thread since the Javitt's show is next weekend.

I was hoping to go Saturday, but 2 things.  a) I have a memorial service to attend (most likely) for a close friend.  Her husband is trying to put it together for a bunch of us "older" friends of hers, since the actual funeral/wake was too jam packed for him to really socialize with anyone.  And, he hasn't seen all of us in eons.  So obviously, that comes first.

b) My knee is totally messed up, may have re-torn the meniscus and it's difficult to get around.  But, am going to still try and make it for Sunday and plow through as much as I can without collapsing!  

Is anyone going?  Anyone showing?

If so, please let me know so perhaps we can meet you in person!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am thinking about going on the 28th. It's my day off and no plans! Not sure if I want to pay the expenses though.. does it cost anything to go in and look around?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great thread. I loved seeing the movie of Sammy thanks. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night on YouTube watching cat shows!! I'm going to my first show on nov 10th. I can't wait. I'm in Australia so I can't go to the show you are talking about but I hope those of you who go have a great time:)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sivyaleah,    yes I am meaning to  be there      We will have a very big booth with a lot of Thai ( Old Style Siamese)  cats.   

Sammy from the video in this thread will be  there. 

Draco,   There is an entry fee of $15  for adults or  $10 for kids .   but  you can stay all day and walk around and see all the breeds of dogs and cats, pet them,  talk to their humans,  visit all sorts of pet- related vendors  and see events like dog sports,   police and service dog demonstrations,  a presentation on a stage where TICA  judges  present a cat of each breed and tell about them,  cat costume show  (   I do not put costumes on my cats but some of my friends do.  I just don't think my cats would want to be dressed up .   but Sammy very much enjoyed being in the Parade of Breeds one of the days last year).   and I think there's cat agility.  and in the past they have had Bengals doing trickd

Tammat,   I hope you enjoy your first cat show!     I'm glad you liked that video of Sam.  He is really a character. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great!  If we manage to get there I'll look for you.

Not sure sure at this point, although I am dying to.  My knee is seriously messed up.  Yesterday, I went grocery shopping and it just wrecked me for the rest of the day. I get results from my MRI this week, so we'll see how that plays out.  I have a sneaking suspicion it's worse than I think it is and I'm doing more damage by being on it so much.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh,  I am so sorry. I have 2 friends who have had knee replacements,  I hope yours  turns out to not be as bad as you suspect and you won't need something that drastic;   or in any case I hope you're able to recover soon. 

I am kind of a mess too ,   I seem to have done some kind of strain to my back    so I hope it gets better very quickly or it's going to be hard to drive a long way!  

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same to you Maewkaew.  I can't even imagine making a long ride with a bad back, let alone with a car load of cats in tow.  

I'm going to try and contact someone and find out if there are places where I can stop and rest inside now and then.  That might help me out at least.  The last one we went to, was kind of rough on me and it wasn't even quite so bad then.  I know my BF wants to go also, so we'll see what happens.  At least it's very close to the train station which helps.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
how was the show? I didn't go.. I decided it was better for me to stay home and nurse my cold, than to head to the city in the crowds.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't go either.  Saturday wiped me out completely and the thought of standing and walking around for so many hours with my bad knee just didn't seem pleasant.  We were bummed out; but it was for the better to rest.

I'm sure we'll go next year.  I can't imagine I'll be suffering with this for another year!