Meet my handsome new man

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that’s a road trip all right. Too bad there’s not a nearer vet— sometimes there are ones that do on the road house calls. I’ve never had a cat that had 3rd eyelid showing w/out something to think about but since he has gone through so many recent changes why not give him a break if you can. I looked at Chewy once recently and they do online vet zooming, but have no idea how much it costs. It’s so nice to see them getting to know each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(RANT INCOMING SORRY LOL) There is a closer vet, just 10 minutes away, but she is awful. Dirty old rundown clinic, rushed appointments (literally 5-10 minutes max), does not seem to care at all. She refused to do senior blood panels on my cats last year (????). Told me that’s not something they do if “nothing is wrong” and that I’d just be “putting them through unnecessary stress”. That SHOULD have been the last straw. Never liked her especially after that but went to her out of convenience for my first years living here until she misdiagnosed/basically killed my Bentley in January and was extremely cold and completely blew me off when I called her trying to get him help during his final hours (after she insinuated that she’d be available to help him if his condition didn’t improve). Soooo yeah I refuse to deal with her and couldn’t ever trust her with my cats again. Not even for a vaccine. Nothing. I’d take the travel time risk to go to the ER/my current vet over her for just about anything, that’s how bad she is. So many regrets about ever taking them there in the first place. The more local people I tell about how bad my experience with her was, the more horror stories I hear. Unfortunately no mobile vets come here either so my options are her (not gonna happen) or the 5+ hour adventure lol. I am not somewhere people “pass through” sadly — I’m on a small gulf island off the west coast of Canada with only a few thousand people, so need to intentionally cross the ocean and stuff if you want to come here or leave here. It’s nice sometimes but it’s a real pain in the arse sometimes too lol.

But yes you are right. He’s been through a LOT of changes these past two months. I should try to relax and just give it more time to see if it corrects itself before I get all paranoid. It’s probably the final symptom of all he’s been through. I easily forget how low energy/low appetite he was when I first brought him home. Now he eats all his food and wants to play all the time. Overall the improvements have been big.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you: I’m in the same boat. 3 year waiting list at the only local clinic left, so I do TNR work instead now. I live vicariously through chance meetings with bookstore cats, glimpses of ferals, neighborhood cats. Nobody should go to a dirty clinic! I do wonder if anyone has tried with success an online session with a vet, but yes in the meantime easier on all to see how his eyes do and just rest and ground. If it doesn’t go away…well then definitely revisit. Could even be something as simple as a temporary allergy.…many reasons why the eyelid shows.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oop, here is a recent photo where they are very visible! They aren’t always this visible, usually depends on the angle, if he’s sleepy, ect, but in general they show a lot more than any of my other cats ever have. IDK it just concerns me because people always say third eye visible = sick and/or parasites. The shelter dewormed him a ton though and his urinalysis/bloodwork was good so maybe that’s just how he is or it’s still the last remanent of his URI…. IDK?

View attachment 477192
He's been examined,checked,tested and got a clean bill of health so I don't believe this is a concern- any " changes" are what you look for so follow the advice of your Vet

Ask your Vet about L-lysine suppliment..... Good upper respiratory support(& eyes) and boost immune system ...years ago lysine was commonly used in treating herpes virus- ( lip balm for herpes is lysine)long before all these drugs and very effective

Now everything is drugs, drugs,drugs.....So many advancements in medicine over the years to treat illnesses and disease but " prevention" is still that ounce that's worth a pound of " cure"- that never changes👍

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn’t give me any advice

Just said to “keep an eye on it” and to “bring him back in for a PCR if the sneezing/coughing fits were still happening in a week or so” — those stopped completely awhile back, eye boogers are basically a thing of the past now too, so it’s just the third eyelid that has remained mostly the same/slightly more visible than the typical cat, so IDK what to think. I also don’t know if this is what most people would generally consider a concerning amount or not. I know for a lot of cats it’s normal, but others, maybe not… but idk for certain what his normal is. The trip to the vet is 5-6 hours roundtrip so getting them seen “just incase” over tiny things often causes more harm than good. It’s not a fun trip for any of us and he just had a full physical and labs. Plus Moose is still recovering/dealing with GI reflux issues from antibiotics he didn’t need and was put on months ago, that only got prescribed because of MY paranoia and need to investigate the slightest oddity with him/his eyes :doh:

Basically I’m crazy and am always paranoid my cats are dying and need someone to tell me that the inner corner third eyelid showing can be normal and not mean he’s secretly suffering and going to die when he is otherwise acting 100% healthy and normal and his labs are good lol.
"need someone to tell me"

Okay Biomehanika Biomehanika -

" the inner corner third eyelid showing can be normal and not mean he’s secretly suffering and going to die when he is otherwise acting 100% healthy and normal and his labs are good "

So that's what you said you NEED to hear,sweetie you need is to settle down and know that you are doing everything right and trust yourself.You are observant,proactive and a responsible pet parent- try to stop comparing this new guy to all the other cats you've had and all the terrible experiences you've had because you are projecting whst will likely not happen,dont feed those thoughts thst spiral into the whole scenario of what has passed- this is a " New Boy" and a new beginning

You are off to a good start,NB has a fresh start - he is now in his Forever home with a Mom who loves him and will provide everything possible to live a long,happy,healthy life

Stay in the NOW and enjoy your wonderful family- most often what we worry about does not go the way we imagined it would and we waste so much precious time and energy on ' what if"

Even the healthiest,strongest person has no guarantee they will wake up to see tomorrow :catrub:

Last edited:

Biomehanika

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looool thank you Kwik Kwik and sorry all that I’m such a spazz. Same thing as with the introductions. I know logically one thing but unless I have someone else confirming it I just doubt everything I think I know and get paranoid about my own judgement lol 😅

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Looool thank you Kwik Kwik and sorry all that I’m such a spazz. Same thing as with the introductions. I know logically one thing but unless I have someone else confirming it I just doubt everything I think I know and get paranoid about my own judgement lol 😅
Well that's the great thing about TCS and having a community of like minded people to support one another and yes,confirming that our doubts are fears are just - it's just assurance for what you really already know

Problem is emotional attachment which can easily cloud our judgement- we ALL have experienced this at one time or another .... You're not crazy,not ridiculously paranoid,you LOVE your cats !!!!!Nothing crazy about it( to us here- rofl)

We are all here because we are not only passionate for animals but we care about others as well - you are in the right place with the right people .If any of us thought there was cause for concern we would certainly say so

I'm personally going through a similar situation where there's an issue with one of my kitties that I have to "keep an eye on" and that is just what we do,should I worry everyday for the next 5 years or take life one day at a time? Worrying is not going to add a single thing to the matter at hand

Can I tell you 2 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with lung cancer I opted out of treatment after cyber knife ( a specific targeted radiation for 5 days) and chose to monitor..... Basically " keep an eye on it''

Everyday I am thrilled to wake up to a NEW DAY sweetheart- embrace each day and enjoy it,why think about " what if"---- IF the WHAT turns into something or CHANGES I'll cross that bridge IF I come to it....I encourage you to have a beautiful day with your kitty cats, everyday ❤❤❤

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Paranoid question: do y’all think the amount of NB’s inner corner third eyelid that shows is normal? My vet said to “keep an eye on it” along with all his other mild URI symptoms… well they’ve all passed now but the visible third eyelid amount remains the same.
Here's an excerpt on the third eyelid from the TCS article: Your Cat's Eyes and Vision [The Complete Guide] - TheCatSite

What Is "The Third Eyelid?"
Cats are unique in that they have a third eyelid, the nictitating membrane, which is a thin cover that closes from the side and appears when the cat's eyelid opens.
The nictitating membrane has many functions; temperature adjustment, clearing the eye of foreign matter and particles, and sweeping moisture over the entire eye.
This membrane partially closes if the cat is sick, although in a sleepy, content cat this membrane is often visible. If a cat chronically shows the third eyelid, it should be taken to a veterinarian for evaluation.
BTW, just wanted to mention something, this thread is in the Cat's Meow forum, which was the right spot for introducing your new boy to the site. However, the members who read this forum are likely different from the ones who read the Health forum and the Behaviour forum, so if you feel you want more members to possibly see and respond to a specific question, (i.e. about NB's third eyelid) you might want to consider starting a new thread in one of the other forums. Carrying on here, is fine too, btw. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea Biomehanika Biomehanika that rubysmama rubysmama suggested,you're likely to get more replies in a Cat Health Thread posted in the appropriate place as people interested in the Topic browse those Forums

If you do start another thread elsewhere please tag me so I don't miss it and can stay updated on NBs progresss❤Im not so good with computers and navigating the site so sometimes I get lost:doh::dunno:

Biomehanika

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you. I won’t do a new thread in Health for now as I already know what the answers will be! 1) if you’re worried see a vet and 2) if there’s no other symptoms he’s probably fine/just getting over the URI and then maybe 3) my cats third eyelid showed like that always and he was fine/sick with/ect.

With no other symptoms I know taking him in again is just not worth it and would do more harm than good. The little URI he was fighting off flared up to its worst after our vet visit earlier this month, I don’t want to set his progress back again, neither health or introduction wise! Plus if it is something it’s almost guaranteed to be completely viral in cause as he seems too happy and healthy to be dealing with a secondary bacterial infection, there’s zero evidence of that, so the vet can’t do anything for him anyways treatment wise. All she can do is maybe give him a PCR test and maybe tell me what virus is causing it. That’s not gonna help him when the “cure”/course of action is the same as if we didn’t know. So. I am going to be LOGICAL here and just give it more time unless something changes. Maybe this is just how it sits his eyes, it certainly isn’t always as visible as it was in the one picture. Maybe it will become less visible with more time. We shall see.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you. I won’t do a new thread in Health for now as I already know what the answers will be! 1) if you’re worried see a vet and 2) if there’s no other symptoms he’s probably fine/just getting over the URI and then maybe 3) my cats third eyelid showed like that always and he was fine/sick with/ect.

With no other symptoms I know taking him in again is just not worth it and would do more harm than good. The little URI he was fighting off flared up to its worst after our vet visit earlier this month, I don’t want to set his progress back again, neither health or introduction wise! Plus if it is something it’s almost guaranteed to be completely viral in cause as he seems too happy and healthy to be dealing with a secondary bacterial infection, there’s zero evidence of that, so the vet can’t do anything for him anyways treatment wise. All she can do is maybe give him a PCR test and maybe tell me what virus is causing it. That’s not gonna help him when the “cure”/course of action is the same as if we didn’t know. So. I am going to be LOGICAL here and just give it more time unless something changes. Maybe this is just how it sits his eyes, it certainly isn’t always as visible as it was in the one picture. Maybe it will become less visible with more time. We shall see.
I am the biggest sucker for cite little pink noses- awwwww he is ADORABLE

What a photo," I'm so cute" lol❤❤❤

Biomehanika

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So um….

I wanted the boys to spend some more time together today and Bitsy’s poos have been back to normal for a few days and she seems a lot less perturbed by New Boy lately so I decided to just let him out with them instead of jailing her in his room again, and uh… so far so good? Bitsy didn’t even seem to notice his presence at first. Moose and him are just romping around together and generally giving her some space. She came and sat on my lap for awhile and now she’s definitely noticed him but she’s not even super upset. Just letting out the odd hiss and quiet growl when he gets too close. She’s not hyper focused on him either, just chilling on her scratcher and giving him the occasional side eye really lol.

2A8672D2-8183-4EFC-948C-F4248C0DA3E4.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Gotta post that pic here! So adorable
Show Us Your Cats Together

Moose and BB( beautiful boy) look so great playing together and happy to see Miss Bitsy feeling well and enjoying the same space like a good girl

Expect the occasional hiss or growl ( it's their language- like us saying" I need some space,don't sweat me!") and even a swat here and there,no big deal😄

No doubt your concern is lifted- ENJOY your gorgeous babies :yess:

Biomehanika

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahahaha I’m so sorry but there’s no way he’ll be called Teddy 🤣 that’s my mom’s dog’s name looool, and then one of his doggo friends is named Bear and they’re like a little pair so I’m always hearing about “Teddy and Bear” so I can’t call him that either 😆

SO YA as for names, no, no progress here as always, still considering Aegon/Egg and/or waiting for a hallelujah name to hit me lol

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahahaha I’m so sorry but there’s no way he’ll be called Teddy 🤣 that’s my mom’s dog’s name looool, and then one of his doggo friends is named Bear and they’re like a little pair so I’m always hearing about “Teddy and Bear” so I can’t call him that either 😆

SO YA as for names, no, no progress here as always, still considering Aegon/Egg and/or waiting for a hallelujah name to hit me lol
No,lol I don't like the NAME " Teddy Cat " ,I like the phrase becayse he is a teddy bear cat..... I like the name TC which Teddy Cat reminded me of TC from TopCat..... hahaha

His name is going to present itself - you'll say THATS IT

Gotta ask- why "Egg" ????He doesn't look like an egg head or egg shape so I figure you have a reason you are entertaining the name

I think he's really gorgeous,he has beautiful fur too- is he soft like a bunny?