meet Maverick

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
.seems Mav is not as used to me as I'd like to think as I'm still unable to pet/handle him. He runs back to his safe space whenever confronted. I'll try buying him off (petting) with some special foods.
Give him time. He's still adjusting to being indoors and your presence will help him integrate and also get use to you. Always call his name so that he recognizes his own name and also importantly, your voice.

There is this stray cat at who's living below our apartment was quite skittish when she sees me. Each time I see her, I call out her name lovingly and I think I've been doing that for several months and lately, when I call out to her, she'll come running to me meowing.

Whenever you enter the room, call out her name first in a loving manner and once you enter the room, sit on the floor and while still calling him, wave your treat or toy and slowly inch towards him. It may take awhile for him to realized things are going to be different for him. Just make him as comfortable as possible and make him feel safe as possible.

Remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He's settling in really well. Wandering/exploring downstairs (his room is upstairs) , and actually playing with an older cat we have. Face to face encounters with the Bug!
That's great to hear. He's gaining confidence day by day. Was it a cordial meeting with Bug?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom .....fully concur with your assessment above!

Just a week and a day indoors/after surgery and Mav's comfort zone has radically expanded. Already fed, this morning he's actually playing with any cats that choose to be on the upstairs floor within his zone! Again, he's fitting in amazingly quick, soon to be a fully recognized member of the "gang". Evidence /proof he desperately needed a dedicated/forever indoor home.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom .....fully concur with your assessment above!

Just a week and a day indoors/after surgery and Mav's comfort zone has radically expanded. Already fed, this morning he's actually playing with any cats that choose to be on the upstairs floor within his zone! Again, he's fitting in amazingly quick, soon to be a fully recognized member of the "gang". Evidence /proof he desperately needed a dedicated/forever indoor home.
5c690171512d2fe4c8e4e634e3438eb9.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping Mav! What a great story!
compared to Bugs' story...Mav has been a cakewalk so far. Bug consciously went into hiding for weeks (literally) after his business at the vet was completed. Mav the exact opposite. Frankly, I expected further complications rather than his near instant social achievements! I'm blown away!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
compared to Bugs' story...Mav has been a cakewalk so far. Bug consciously went into hiding for weeks (literally) after his business at the vet was completed. Mav the exact opposite. Frankly, I expected further complications rather than his near instant social achievements! I'm blown away!
From all the pictures you showed of the ”outside Mav,” all I could think was: “This guy is ready, he wants in.” Those are some cooolllld winters out there. SO happy for you!!!