Meet Karen ♥️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which one of you is the big fan of black kitties? I know it's one of you regulars! This is the firstborn, and the runt. He (calling it a he for now) fell asleep draped over Mama's leg. He was dreaming and it was so cute ♥
IMG_20191021_210242.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations! Karen is very lucky that you are a nurse, lucky all around. I am sorry about the two who passed on, but it was completely uncontrollable. I love black kitties and have had 6 of them.

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a kitten update: they are all doing great! I bought a food scale a month ago, but I can't get it to read correctly. It keeps reading that the kittens are 17-19 grams...and I know that can't be right. Gonna see if my smarty-pants teenagers can figure it out, lol.
So far, they appear to be all female, although I know it's hard to tell this early on. They already have little personalities. I am so in love with the little boogers, LOL! And Karen has been such an amazing Mommy. She nurses them on demand, and only gets up to eat drink or use the litter box. I will take pictures with my son's camera and post them soon. My phone takes horrible pictures.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been such a pleasure reading this thread about Karen and her journey to motherhood. Thank you for telling us all about it...and thank you for taking such wonderful care of Karen and her kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your kids can’t figure it out, check the batteries. Otherwise return it. It may be a lemon! :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Figured the scale out!
Kitten 1- 181g
Kitten 2- 183g
Kitten 3- 190g
Kitten 4- 189g
Kitten 5- 171g

*I need to re-weigh #5, bc he's one of the chunkier ones, so I might not have zeroed out the scale before him.

Do those sound ok for 3 day old kittens that were originally 7 crammed in a small cat's uterus?
Here's a pic of the calico... she's kitten 2, for weight reference.
IMG_20191024_213153.jpg

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Figured the scale out!
Kitten 1- 181g
Kitten 2- 183g
Kitten 3- 190g
Kitten 4- 189g
Kitten 5- 171g

*I need to re-weigh #5, bc he's one of the chunkier ones, so I might not have zeroed out the scale before him.

Do those sound ok for 3 day old kittens that were originally 7 crammed in a small cat's uterus?
Here's a pic of the calico... she's kitten 2, for weight reference.
View attachment 305026
Number 5 weighs 190g

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those are great weights! Even if they were born at the high end of a newborn birth weight thats likely a solid 10g a day which is what you are wanting! :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Little piggies at the milk bar! The weights are excellent so far. Let’s see how it goes the next few days. :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those are great weights! Even if they were born at the high end of a newborn birth weight thats likely a solid 10g a day which is what you are wanting! :-)
They nurse CONSTANTLY, lol! I am keeping a close eye on the first and second borns, bc I notice them getting booted off occasionally.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They nurse CONSTANTLY, lol! I am keeping a close eye on the first and second borns, bc I notice them getting booted off occasionally.
Good and don't blame you for keeping an eye on those two. Fortunately they seem to settle fairly quickly onto their preferred nipple and the jostling settles down. At least in my limited experience. :-)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was worried about Kitten #4 last night, bc he only gained ONE gram in 24 hours! Worried all day at work...brought needleless syringes home in case he wouldn't take the bottles I have. Weighed him, and lo and behold....he gained 17 grams today!! Woohoo!! So now everyone is over 200 grams at 5 days old. I have confirmed all genders except for Kitten 4, who is a twin to Kitten 5. Kitten 5 is definitely a boy...but the jury's still out on 4.
The only one who has a name turned out to be a girl.... so I'm not sure that "Chonk" fits anymore, lol!
Kitten 1- boy: all black face, wht paws and belly
Kitten 2- girl: tortie with white
Kitten 3- girl: tiny white stripe on face and white belly, otherwise black "Chonk"
Kitten 4- ??: Dark brown/black with white nose and white neck and belly
Kitten 5- boy: same as above

Chonk's left eye is already open!! Is that ok?
Also, will post more pics tomorrow night. Getting a new phone next week, so I will take a gazillion pics soon:)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chonk's left eye is already open!! Is that ok?
Ok, so I just read online that Tuxedo kittens open their eyes earlier than other coat patterns. If that's true, it would explain Chonk;)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Short-haired kittens open their eyes earlier than long-haired kittens. One of my kittens opened both eyes at 5 days old. It really varies by kitten. :)