Meet Karen ♥️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's happening!! Karen is purring loudly, huffing, and checking between her legs every few minutes!!! Eeekkk!!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, need quick advice! Karen is frantically trying to get into my son's bedroom to nest in his closet! My son is at his dad's until after school, and he would NOT be happy with that situation. Karen is clawing at his door. I have 4 other spots set up for her. Will she give up and choose a different spot? Will this delay her labor?
Help!!
StefanZ StefanZ
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Karen wouldn't take no for an answer. As soon as I let her in, she started pushing! Still waiting on baby number one!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray for kittens! Good you let her into your son’s room. She knew it was private so she wanted to use it. The family can be moved at some point.

Of course it was the middle of the night when I was sleeping! Have you slept yet?

How is Karen doing now? How many total kittens?

amynurse amynurse

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 there was no telling her no, lol. My 17 yr old is going to be upset, but he'll get over it!
Karen took a nap at 9am, after the fourth kitten....so I took a nap too. I woke up at 12:30 to find that she had TWO more kittens!! Sadly, one was deceased:( RIP, little Angel.
The kittens are all nursing...when they are done I will weigh them. 3 of them look very similar... gonna be difficult to keep track at first. Will update soon!
IMG_20191021_131836.jpg

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Karen delivered a 7th kitten at 2pm. Sadly, it never took a breath. I tried for 30 minutes to revive her, but no luck. She was a calico, just like her mama.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! She was carrying 7 kittens. Now nursing five. I’m so sorry that two did not make it, but glad you got some sleep. I was afraid there might be one that might have died in utero with the fluid leaking, but there’s no way to know for sure. Sometimes being in the birth canal too long can cause a kitten to suffocate.

So relieved it’s over and Karen is doing well. Do you have KMR to give her to drink? She’ll need the extra calcium for nursing.

Tell your son that it’s a compliment that she chose his room - not just any 17-year-old gets his room turned into a kitten nursery! :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 : I have been giving her KMR for a month now. I have bottles ready in case anyone falls behind. So far, every one of The Fab Five are nursing like champs!
Karen only has 6 teats, so I will be monitoring the situation closely. Had to come in to work, so I will weigh the kits when I get home.
SEVEN!! I still can't believe it!
My son was surprisingly cool with the fact that his closet is a nursery, lol. We will swap rooms until the kittens are old enough to move without upsetting Karen.

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and from the first push of kitten one until kitten 7 was born was just over 8 hours. That seems long to me!

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re so cute! So sorry for the loss of the 2! But no wonder Karen was so big, she had a lot of babies in there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat pushed 4 out over three hours. I think Karen was wise to rest a bit in between. Labor and delivery are hard work!

Good on the KMR! :)