Meet Karen ♥️

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like she may feel icky. Is she purring? Is she eating?

Once contractions begin they last about 24 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 she is purring constantly. Has not eaten since early this morning. Her favorite spot is in front of the dining room window. I just noticed dried brownish-red drops all along the windowsill. Looks like all systems are go! I'm off work tomorrow, so I will be glued to her side for the next 36 hours or so.
Thank you so much for hanging in here with me. You rock!!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
zed xyzed zed xyzed Thank you! I'm such a softy for animals! I wanted to be a veterinarian when I was little, but didn't think I could handle giving injections. Then I ended up becoming a nurse...and giving thousands of injections. Go figure, lol!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear that you are off tomorrow because it’s likely she’ll give birth tonight or tomorrow.

If she’s purring constantly she is probably in first stage labor whether you see the contractions or not. Cats tend to purr through the pain to soothe themselves.

We’re all waiting with you!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Karen has been sleeping A LOT today. She's only awake long enough to eat a few bites of food and use her litter box. There's more pink discharge leaking out in the last few minutes. The kittens are quite active, too. She just fell back asleep, poor baby girl. Just wanted to update everyone ♥

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exciting update!!
I was crossing from the dining room into the kitchen, when I stepped on something slippery. In two spots where Karen was recently sleeping, there were small puddles of clear fluid. Official Kitten Watch has begun!!
My guess is 5 kittens: at least one calico; one tortie, one orange and white and one or two solid black.
Any guesses??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor gal. It sounds like her water has broken. What looks like kitten activity is probably contractions. Karen is probably in pain. Good thing you are home. Stay close!

I hope it’s not more than four kittens, but I agree that she’ll have a mixed bag of babies. My tabby cat had one black, one orange and white, one tuxedo, and one tabby that looks like her.

I hope delivery goes well for Karen when the time comes in the next few hours.

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Morning update: still no active labor. It's been 24 hours since I first saw her leaking clear fluid. Karen is not in any distress, and she slept well last night. Her hind quarters are damp, and there's more mucus at the opening. I guess no news is good news??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In cats waters going is not always same as immediate labor.
Its an complication, but usually not having consequences.

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen some Braxton Hicks contractions, but none of the ones you are referring to. Karen has been sleeping hard all day. She licks her lips often....guessing that is a sign of nausea?
Any babies or updates? I hope all is well!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's a trooper. Obviously uncomfortable, but still eating and drinking well. Still leaking watery clear fluid occasionally. Yesterday was 7 weeks since she joined our family, and she was already pinking up then...so she's between 9 and 10 weeks along. C'mon, Karen... let's do this!!
15713209925501952479210.jpg

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's acting perfectly normal, eating well. No new leaks. I have had her 52 days today. Maybe she mated just a few days before I got her?