meet Buggy

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
and within 10 minutes maximum, urges me to let him back inside. NO attempts to get away, he knows how good he's got it indoors...my Club Med for kitties.
Complete reversal...if you remember, 3 years ago he was OUT 24/7...only coming IN to eat for 10 minutes...now its the polar opposite....amazing.
IMG_3252.GIF

Thanks for the updates!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's the old man outdoors just this afternoon. He prefers to stay on the deck, close by to me, always very concerned about being able to get back inside within a few minutes.

I guess he's either intimidated by the outdoors now? Or scared of being dumped out there? Hmmm.....could he be reliving an event? (being dumped out of his previous household?)
Open to expert opinion here....

Anyways....I'll get a better pic soon.

bug719.jpg

Last edited:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When younger, he paid his dues, Bug doomed to intense solitary roaming. Cold, hot, wet, snow...exposed to bad humans, car traffic while starving, foraging for existence. I shudder to think his outcome had I not taken him in.

Now a little older, a little smarter ...I believe he knows precisely how good he's got it nowadays.

And at times, if I'm not mistaken...he actually seems appreciative.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What would compel him to eat grass? Any dietary benefit?
I think there's some good benefits in grass that aids digestion and sometimes after ingesting them they throw up and out comes some undigested stuffs that may be causing discomfort in their digestive tract.

This is what I think and maybe some other members may have a better or clearer explanation to it.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think tabbytom tabbytom probably has it right. I wouldn't be alarmed by it. They sell cat grass for a reason. I've never really researched it but, a quick google search may tell you a lot. I take Manny out for walks and he was like Bug is at first. I would pull the basement door shut but not closed so if Manny got spooked he could go back in just by pushing on it. He was scared of every little noise and movement. He always ran back to the basement door when he got spooked and knew he could get back in. Back to his safe zone. He's calmed down tremendously and he's more bold at night than during the day. Most of the time he stays close to me but, on occasion he try's to stretch his boundaries.

My neighbors had a cat and Manny would see him in the yard. Sometimes he would want to sneak over there at night and sniff around and I would have to run him back to the house. Their cat recently disappeared. He was indoor / outdoor and roamed freely. Manny doesn't try and go over there as much but, occasionally he will. During the day is a different matter. He stays close to me and keeps me in sight. He would never attempt it during the day. I never let him out unsupervised.

Anyway, back to the grass. Manny always eats grass when he goes out. I've joked that if I had 10 or 12 more like him I could sell my lawn mower!...lol...Sometimes I get him cat grass for inside but, not all the time. Once in a blue moon he'll throw up but not often. I had a Maine Coon that liked to eat grass also. I think some cats just like to eat it.

Great to hear that Bug is doing well. I think it's great that he's going out for walks. I'm sure he has flash backs to his days on the street. I think Manny did too. He'll eventually come around. I've found in some cases Manny fears actually work to my advantage. He really listens well 99 % of the time and I actually think he understands that I'm trying to keep him out of trouble / danger.

Thanks for the update. I haven't seen one in a while. Looks like the last ones were in July. I was working 60 to 70 hours a week then so I probably missed a lot of alerts. He looks great, healthy and happy!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom tabbytom and sabian sabian that all makes sense. This morning shaded grass was cool and still wet, Bug took full advantage, got a belly full. Though no throwing up, I'll not dissuade him knowing there is no harm. I'd guess he ate a lot prior to coming in, while on his own.

Still leader of our kitty committee, his demeanor intelligent, understanding and well behaved. He actually visits me early morning, jumps up on bed reminding me its time to get up...provides reminders yet again at dinner time, demanding attention and feeding....and gets it! During day loves his open screened windows, being allowed outdoors into the garden, or napping in a secret hiding place. He's truly got it made in Club Med for Kitties here and I believe he knows it too!

Never a problem or burden, he's fit into the family perfectly. So glad we saved him....I'd repeat the long, sometimes difficult process without any hesitation.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats graze too. The ones that no longer wish to go out get room service. Lol I have noticed they eat a couple of specific types of grass so I harvest some and bring it in. This could be another photo op for you. It’s a stampede of cats coming at me for grass! Aiiiii! I have one throw it up every now and then. I’ve often felt that the grass may have medicinal purposes as well as some small nutritional pleasure. I know the cats do run against a shrub that is known to repel insects. The cats could probably teach us a few things!
I have one cat that desperately wanted to go out but was afraid. I decided to try a shirt type harness for her and she loved it! She goes outside on a leash with no fear at all as long as she has her harness on. I do believe they remember the risks outside and do show gratitude for having a loving human by their side. Bugs and Princess are the picture of health and happiness. :clap2:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last edited: