meet Buggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've got to know *going in* the domestication of feral/semi feral or strays *will* require time, commitment and some expense....at some level...realizing no 2 are going to be same in difficulty, being prepared to deal with times of defeat, stress and frustration......

Unfortunately, I think many folks are naive to difficulties and solutions. In particular, The Cat Site's advisors Ondine and Tabby Tom, and other members stuck with me all the way...always offering invaluable help and experience.

Witnessing the starving, wandering, lonely Bug provided me with the incentive to improve his life. His domestication was difficult..still "intact" and very nasty....he needed some real behavioral modifications following medical attention.
Six months later, out of the same woods comes the starving, lost and in distress Princess...more than willing, even seeking, a home situation.

She's so easily fit right in to the household....highlighting the vast difference in level of difficulty.

Difficult or easy...no way to tell...but you've got to be mentally prepped for either scenario and fully committed going in to adoption.

Their being safe and secure now...the payoff...watching them thrive is quite satisfying.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"Their being safe and secure now...the payoff"

Most definitely! I slept so much better after my two feral kittens were in their safe room. Then even better after the vet visits and all was well with the kittens. I had them at work so after socializing them and they became lovable cats I felt guilty leaving them at work to go home at the end of the day. I was going to give them away to someone I know but that fell through. There was absolutely no way I was going to allow them to be separated, no way I was giving them to someone I did not know, no way they were going to a shelter or colony, no way, no way, no way... So the next step was to get them into my house with my existing cats. Just as with socializing them patience was the key to getting what I wanted. I used a safe room at home and it was baby steps introducing them to my other cats. I got what I wanted, they now live in my house coexisting with my other cats and I can sleep guilt free :)

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, tabbytom tabbytom They are now fed together, eat, play...even nap together. Both are so happy and at peace....as am I. Seeing them both safe, well taken care of, part of the family is gratifying. The radical change in Bug from 7 months ago is what I had hoped for...nevertheless still amazes me. Brings a smile to my face multiple times daily.

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has to be the sweetest most dedicated story of kitty love that I've ever seen. Mr. Bug and Layla are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you bigbadbass bigbadbass for being such am amazing inspiration with a big heart. :hearthrob::redheartpump::blackcat2:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awww..thank you Miry-Mom Miry-Mom

Early yesterday...was awoken by a thump on my bed...a certain big, black, heavy cat (Bug) purring...waking me up
(reminding me "hey, get up, its breakfast time! I'm hungry, dammit!")

Who's in the room with him? Princess Laya! He's showing her the ropes...whats in and out of bounds. To this point, she's avoided the upstairs (she's been very timid and a bit unsure, staying near her safe room for security) but has lately been following him all around. Today, they all disappeared to the cellar for nappy time (they are undisturbed in their hiding spots down there) after a good breakfast.

Admittedly, i spoil them rotten.....they had it pretty rough as strays (before finding Club Med for kitties here)

I pledged when I took him in I'd make Bugs' life easier...never starving, freezing, wet, lost, wandering, insecure, abused again...NEVER.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bugwindow.JPG

Been awhile, wanted to check in. Here's Bug in a 2nd floor window...relaxing, sunning his belly....if THIS isn't Club Med for kitties, I don't know what is.

I promised to spoil him rotten...and have made good. : )

What an amazing change in this guy from 8 months ago.....he's lovin' life....retired, relaxed.

Last edited:

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really enjoyed reading through these threads to compare your journey with Bugs and Laya to mine with Lilly. Wondering, it's now been 11 weeks since I brought Lilly into the house. She's doing terrific, but I'm wondering how long before Bugs (and Laya) stopped being skittish around you, if ever? Also, have you ever been able to pick them up or doing things like trim their nails? I am curious, knowing too that each is different, but can't help but wonder. I didn't read if you were ever able to pick Bugs up (sorry if I missed it). I think your black kitties are the most beautiful. They look like perfect mini-panthers. Thanks for sharing your story, and giving me advice (the previous posts you've shared on my threads). I have enjoyed reading through your journey here.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ads3j ads3j Thanks for your nice comments. I must commend ondine ondine and tabbytom tabbytom , without whom I was lost. Bug was not an easy process...initially I had doubts bringing him "in" at all. At a point after neuter when he hid/retreated for weeks ..I was ready to open the door. With their experience and advise, Bug and I pulled through.

Bug was "no touch" ...quite violent prior to neuter... but never skittish after his hormones normalized. As you can see he's clearly comfortable. He's fit right in and is now the ringleader... runs the kitty committee (we've got 4). Yes, I can pick him up...nails? No way. He's receptive to affection/pets, etc.

Princess (the kitty formerly known as Laya) , here around 12 weeks(?) is still a bit unsure, though now freely exploring, she'll run away when encountered, thinking she's done something wrong....evidence of prior abuse? It took her weeks to explore away from her safe room...I swear Bug was a factor...guiding her upstairs, to the 2nd floor for example. She's slowly gaining confidence...I can only guess about prior abuse being a factor.....repeatedly being chased away? She can be picked up, too. Receptive to pets/affection but runs away when encountered in new (to her) places.

I suspect they are distantly related, have instantly bonded, now almost inseparable. Admittedly, I spoil them rotten...they had it rough in their former lives....deserve all the best. I shudder to think about their futures had I not taken them in.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thing is many people do not want cats wandering around their home whether it be because they are messy (crap and pee in gardens/kids play areas) kill and harass wildlife, and some people even have strange beliefs about them, like that cats are demonic/evil/sorcerer incarnations etc. So they will do literally anything to keep them away far worse than a spray from the hose or a shoo with a broom. Some people hit them, kick them, shoot at them, and even poison them.

People are crazy so it's impossible to know exactly what happened and perhaps it's better you don't know what happened.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both safe, sound, happy.

Aslan (a smart ass Occicat) opened an unlatched sliding glass door last week... Bug actually escaped, got outside, went missing! I set up the outside motion camera...he reappeared at the same back door within 2 hours.
He knows he's got it made here in Club Med for kitties!

Look at the size difference...Princess, though tiny...eats like a PIG. She's somewhat skittish...moreso than Bug, a glutton for attention.

Very nice of you, thank you for asking, mazie mazie

bug&laya2.JPG

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: You bet he knows how good he's got it there at Club Med for kitties!;) Interesting ( and of course, thank God) how he stayed missing for only 2 hours. I bet you wondered what would happen if he were to ever get out. Well, again you now have the proof to know in your heart of hearts, he was destined to be safely with you guys, forever! :D
And, wow, he is wayyyyy bigger than the little girl. Princess looks about the size of my Katy, (my avatar), little over 9 pounds. He looks to be over 12-13 pounds? Anyway, just wondering about your crew. thanks for answering. :)