meet Buggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, TT. The photo contrast is terrible, darkens when transferring from phone to desktop. I'll get better pics, he's truly a beautiful animal, his looks defy his reported age. 

I've got a plan to do "the trap" into a carrier which I'll implement after the holidays. In the meantime, I'm slowly transferring food bowl closer to, then inside of...the carrier. 

We're gonna DO this....both Bug and I.   

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ondine-

our posts crossed. 

You may be right? I dunno, the lady reported him as feral 12 years....I HOPE she's wrong and this whole process will be less painful and quicker than I fear. If he was domesticated at one point, could account for his very quick transformation into playing and relaxed demeanor indoors.

Perhaps the vet could better estimate his age....to be determined.

I'll have to research "catio" but I think may be a good idea....the glass doors open to my 20' x 24' deck...plenty of room.

In summer, I work on motorcycle stuff in my separate large garage, Bug has already explored....I anticipate we'll both be hangin' out there in spring!

Oh, her's a picture of his indoor roommate (Sophia, my 900 Supersport Ducati)
 Yup, I'm a retired, 65 year old Sport Biker  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am wondering if the neighbor may have seen another black cat before Buggy.  It isn't easy to tell one from another, especially if seen at a distance.  The vet should be able to guesstimate his age.  He does not look 12 (especially after 12 years outside).

Love that bike!  Who knows?  Perhaps Buggy will become a biker cat!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, nice bike but a word of caution, :lol3:hope the sound from the bike won't scare him away! :lol3:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've checked with all neighbors on his "circuit"....the neighbor lady who's been feeding him for 12 years said she'd noticed him filling out and looking well. 

She had no problem with me making an attempt at bringing him in as she's got other community cats she deals with.  

He was there at her house during our conversation!  She whistles to call him...I shook the dry food container (my method to call him) Sure enough out he comes from the bushes!  I wish I could have read his mind when he saw both his providers. He was hiding under a car...and when I walked home he was already there! 

Smart little bugger, I never even saw him. 

She showed me where he chooses to sleep ...in a cellar window well filled with leaves, they were compressed. He also has access to a large cat house but chooses not to use it. This guy is quite independent.  

Anyways, green light...no impediments with neighbors.

I've found a very reasonable vet....just a matter of trapping when the time is right. This guy is very street smart, gonna be a challenge to outsmart him.

Regarding the bike...while I was still riding up to November,  he'd hang undisturbed on the deck as I entered or left via my driveway.

I may make my move sooner than later, if logistics allow. Can anyone advise the approximate rehab time from neuter procedure?  

As always, thanks most gracious members here! 

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Very good to hear that there's no issues with the neighbors and even the lady that has been feeding him for the past 12 years has given you the green light. And it's a good sign that he is responsive to the whistle and shaking of the food can and he did not hide.
He sounds like a ninja cat! :lol3: Got home and waiting for you! [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] Good to hear that he is not disturbed by the sound of the bike. Who knows, maybe he'll go riding with you one of these days.
Neutering procedure is pretty simple except due to his age, proably the vet has to assess his health before proceeding with the anesthesia. If there's no issue with his health, the incision made to the testicles are just a tiny slit each. After the procedure, he'll feel drowsy from the anesthesia for a day or two. He might not eat or drink but it's ok. Not much has to be taken care of as the surgery part will heal itself in a couple of weeks, as long as it is not infected. There is no suturing. Just make sure that there are no yellowish pus showing. Anyway, many feral cats are neutered and spayed and they are returned to the community immediately after that. So you don't have to worry about the post op.
Do continue to keep us posted.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is great news!  TabbyTom is correct - the neutering itself is a simple procedure.  Its his age that might complicate things.  A good once-over by the vet should tell you.

You might want to look into borrowing a drop trap for him.  If he is as savvy as I think he might not fall for a humane trap.

But I'd use the humane trap first (drop traps are scarce and very pricey).  Tie it open and feed him in the trap only.  Do this until you feel confident he goes all the way into the trap.  Then you can make his appointment and set the trap to spring.  He will be aggravated, so cover the trap and he'll calm down.

He can stay in the trap for a day or so - use a pee pad under it.  If he goes potty, you can life the trap, clean it if necessary and replace the pee pad.

If you let him back outside after the surgery, don't be surprised if he spends some time at his other house.  He'll be annoyed at you for a while.

If you keep him inside after the surgery, give him his own room for a couple of weeks.  Cat proof it, provide him with litter, food and a box or two. Visit him often - reading out loud helps him get used to you.   You can also leave a radio on low - voices to help him make the adjustment.  The sights, sounds, smells and noise inside a house can take some getting used to, so be patient with him.

Blessings on you for helping him.  He'll have a peaceful old age now.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been adopted by older feral cats before.... sometimes they reach an age they don't mind being safe, warm in winter, cool in summer, and fed regularly.  I do agree with comments from earlier that the cat looks to be in pretty good shape to be feral and 12 years old.  Best of luck

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks all for comments, info and encouragement.

Forgot to mention, the little prince allows the neighbor lady to pet him....that explains why I was so easily allowed in such a short period. So that would be the extent of his human interaction. 

Human= food ...thats about it....no indoor, no play, no domestic cat friends.....we've got a lot of adjusting to look forward to. I'm prepped for the long run. The Bug will have his own room, will receive great food, plenty of affection and attention.as he is capable of accepting in his own time.    

My wife has 3 indoor onlys...an ossicat (sp?) and 2 bengals.....all are tame as can be. They have oogled each other through sliding glass doors......the Bug is becoming inquisitive, approaching and sniffing the door leading into the rest of the house. i'm hopeful he will slowly ease into accepting us, there seems some willingness there. The hormones seem to be the immediate impediment..

I'll put up a screen door separating between the Bug room and the rest of the house....slowly inching it open bit by bit , introducing the troops to one another, opening more as they become familiar....provided we have no battles.

Called the vet...they recommend rehab just a day...they get ferals on a routine basis, shouldn't be an issue.  I'm gonna have  blood work/testing, de-worming, de-flea above and beyond neuter.....all while under anesthesia....any other tests you folks recommend while he's under the needle? Want to do everything in one shot....no repeats or oooops.

As always, thanks and Happy Holidays all!        

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is great! I'm happy for The Bug as well as you. Looks like it's all set and hope for a good ride.
It's better to introduce them at a later time as The Bug's testosterones is still high. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the hormones to exit the body completely.
As for de-worming and de-fleaing, it's not done while under anesthesia. Not sure if the timing for the anesthesia long enough to check dental. And also not sure if it's safe for him to be under long anesthesia. So maybe better check with the vet 1st. Otherwise I think it'll be to stressful to him.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My timeline now depends on my ability to trap him....on my part...premeditation and thinking ahead is essential.  He's slick and smart...    

So I've attached the door to the carrier, I've got his dish just inside...he's hanging inside while eating. I'll periodically move dish further inside, eventually shutting him in.  

i understand he'll be "upset" (putting it mildly) with me.....I'll do my best to rebuild his trust. His overall health and safety by far the primary objective.    

I'll feel like a heel...but whatever it takes, we'll get 'er done. He's got our family waiting with open arms, everyone is supportive, though this is MY project.  At very least, he'll get a taste of the good life, which I pray he'll accept.

Thanks for ongoing support....Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,members!  

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, I do hope you get to trap him without much stress on both sides and hope he realize what you are doing is for his good.
We are waiting with opened arms too.
Have a great holiday ahead.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to post....I got a super pre-dinner greeting from the Bug tonight...tail up ...he wanted to be petted upon entering the room!  Fantastic! 

He's still skittish, but little by little I'm noticing positive evidence in his willingness to interact ....  negated by his quickly opting to slip back into loner mode...."roving".  Poor guy....I'm hopeful through long term effort and patience, we'll introduce him to a new life!   

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this mornings greeting...tail up, walking in a circle pattern in front of me ...I think he's about to brush against my legs. 

i bent down a bit, flopped my arm and hand straight down...offering him him the chance to come to ME....but got a swat with a paw (no claws)

Understandable as this attempted method of affection was something new to him.....I'll repeat this procedure till he becomes comfortable with it. .  

Encouraging friendly exchanges ....we BOTH need to be trusting with eachother, trying my best in my outreach.

He only ate a bit of canned food this morning ....after 2 months of eating like Elvis.... could the little king be getting SPOILED?  

Or is the food bowl being presented INSIDE the carrier spooking him?  Hhmmm....we'll see when he's back lunchtime. 

I see I can't become too anxious...this is all gonna take TIME....its all good though.    

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, patience is the key.

Remember that looming over him maybe intimidating.  Try squatting.  Also an open hand looks scary to them - like they're going to get hit.

A suggestion - when you use your hand to greet him, make a fist.  It will look like another cat"s head, asking for a head  bump.  When he approaches, slowly open your hand and scratch his head.  Most cats enjoy a good scratch on the forehead and between their ears.  He may not like it for long, tho.

Hope your holidays are super!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ondine, again your experienced insights shine....most welcome (and sorely needed!) 

I'll give the "fist scratch" a try! 

Thank you, and a blessed Christmas to you 

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
some further positive interaction.....Bug gave me a major greeting this morning, tail up, inviting me to pet him. He sniffed my leg today (thats a first) and I got another "meow".

We exchanged some blinks, too. 

I tried to hand feed him a treat...but got I swatted (claws were, thankfully, not extended).  

He returned again after dinner....in his heated house , which he is now using!  He was actually nodding off a bit, may be finding that heat attractive. May be some hope there after all?    

Nonetheless can report definite interactive progress. Its encouraging as I realize a 12 year old (semi) feral is gonna be tough to change his ways

.I've got him eating about 50% inside the crate I'll be trapping him in.....as soon as trapping accomplished its IMMEDIATELY off to the vet with Buggy. . 

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's great progress with the petting and tail up followed by a meow. Looks like he's gonna own you soon. Maybe he finds the heat more comfortable than the cold where he is roosting now.
Yea, you are doing a wonderful job here and hope he gets use to the crate and no struggles and loosing faith in you when the big day comes.