meet Buggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ty Ondine. New info....we believe "he" is actually a she. I've had her inside the music (Bugs') room...exploring a bit...played with a wand toy... I've petted her... while I was sitting.. she actually jumped up on ON MY LAP! She's no feral, her interaction indicates, to me, she's a a former housecat.

She's very sweet...her meowing indicates she's distressed and confused. Perhaps dumped? A thinner, mini version of Bagheera (aka Bug). She's very friendly and approachable ...quite contrary to the (then) hissing, clawing Bug.

I think we're slowly building up a trust...but she still wants to leave....we'll get her inside when *she's* ready. The door will be open.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:woo: :banana1: That's good news! This one's an easy pie.

Hopefully she takes less time and get along with the rest of the gang.

Any idea if she's spayed? :think:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mentioned the clipped ear but I would definitely take her to the vet soon, just to be sure. She probably also has fleas, so a treatment would be good for her.

I will say a prayer to St. Francis for you, as you now seem to have become a sanctuary! Blessings!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
#2 is indoors (Bugs' room) as of this evening. The work begins. We're relieved she's now safe and secure. I'll give her a few days to settle in, monitor her progress and get her to the vet.

Outdoors, she was quietly meowing on a fairly consistent basis...wish I knew what she was trying to convey. I'm thinking she was distressed, wandering around aimlessly (to this point).

Anxious to see how she settles in.

In the meantime, a picture of a quite relaxed Bagheera ...the stray cat formerly known as Bug.
bugmay23.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No one would ever guess that your super relaxed Bagheera was once a semi-feral stray. Good job! :thumbsup:

And best of luck with the newbie. Keep us posted.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and was once nasty too....with security, consistency, good diet and health...he really takes care of himself...a beautiful coat, very relaxed, plays, interacts with the others...has fit in wonderfully.

24 hours indoors now for #2...she's discovered the same safe spots that Bug used....she's eating well, using the L-box (!) purring, able to pet and pick up. So far so good...after vet/testing/shots ....I'll be putting up the temporary screen door and slowly introduce the troops to one another. That screen door really did help the Bug...instantly stimulating his curiosity and compelling him to come out of retreat....I'm hoping the same for #2....named Layla.

I expect her to fit right in.

One question for the experts...we believe she and Bug to be related....will there be any special interaction I should look for if they were brought up together? Will they know and recognize each other?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do think they could be related or at least have met before. But whatever it is, Bugs has already settled in and Layla is on new turf. Best is still do the normal procedure of proper introduction.

We never know what kind of relationship they had before, was it a friendly one or a territorial one. So be safe, play safe.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Bug, all of a sudden, out of nowhere can't pee, trying repeatedly in L-box...going to vet in a couple of hours. Dammit.

Layla settling in nice...becoming more and more relaxed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, this is happening to so many people on this board! Is he eating a lot of dry food?

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the vet will do a two-fer....both Bug and ME!

Yes, he gets both dry and wet foods. I think I see where you're going......

Vet gave him antibiotic shot and we have tablets 2X daily...I'm to get urine sample. Jeez...never thought I'd see the day...a certain challenge involved for me. We'll get through it, hopefully.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that you got antibiotics, they worked for my male cat. I have to keep his dry food half a cup or less, the rest has to be wet food. I've got him on a urinary dry food right now. How much dry food were you giving him? I'm not saying it was definitely that, but it happens a lot with dry food unfortunately.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They should be able to take the urine directly from his bladder with a syringe and needle that's actually the preferred method by my vet since the sample is sterile. If you go this route all you need to do is bring him in with a fullish bladder.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor Bugs. Hope he feels better soon.

As for getting the urine sample, a friend's vet gave her a gel like substance to put in the litter box instead of litter and once the cat pees, you scoop it all out and bag it up to take to the vet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... poor Bugs. Hope he feels better soon.

As for getting the urine sample, a friend's vet gave her a gel like substance to put in the litter box instead of litter and once the cat pees, you scoop it all out and bag it up to take to the vet.
I remember trying to get Kabby to use that he wouldn't have any of it. He just held his pee untill he wet himself. I guess it works for some people though.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hoping Bugs is better. I apologize for my absence. I can't seem to get used to this new site. Change always unnerves me, but this is taking a lot longer than even I expected.

Anyway, vibes coming your way that Bugs' problem is soon taken care of and that Layla settles in comfortably. I agree that intros should be done slowly - just like they never met. And really, even though they are most likely related, they may never have actually met one another.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed new site a bit weird, def different. Your insights quite valid, Ondine.

Was successful in getting sample @ 2AM ...took my Honda (Bugs' personal motorcycle courier service) to deliver to vet this morning. Note the urine was bloody, vet said he'll likely be on antibiotics longer than originally thought. Poor Bug. Getting pills into him via mouth is im-freakin- possible. Smashed up in food, I've got to withold until he's starved to ensure he eats all and gets the dose. I've also got to keep him from the other cats foods! Def tricky, time consuming, but we'll get through this. ANYTHING for the Bug.

#2 Layla loves to play with wand toy. Her meowing has subsided, perhaps she knows she's now in a good place. Seems very happy...fitting right in. I think she'll easily transition into the general population after vet tests...hopefully she's free and clear of anything "concerning". She looks exactly like Bug...just a mini-version. She's also (temporarily) claimed Bugs' red chair...the throne.

layla1.JPG

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ooooo...... hope Bugs get better with the med and hope you can get him to eat it.

Mix it with a little of his food if it's not possible by mouth. Just give him not too much food else once he sense the med n and won't eat, you'll waste the wet food too.

If it's liquid med, better if not you have to pound the pills to powder form.

Some of them use pill pockets. Maybe you can check that out.

Good to hear that Layla is setting in well. She looks nice!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a better pic of Layla

Seeing her outdoors alone, lost, hungry, meowing.....no way I could leave her be. Didn't hesitate a moment to begin the process to get her in. I'd like to think any living, breathing human being with a heart would have done the same.

She's showing signs of improvement and settling in already...grooming, filling in some weight...very sweet and well behaved. She's 100% on L-box.....another ex-housecat I think.
Can't wait to see her at playtime, running around with the others!

layla2.JPG

Last edited: