Medication, kidney disease

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was initially prescribed Cerenia. After a second consult, she's now on that (half a tablet, not 1/4) plus Zofran twice a day and Mirtazpine. I've been trying various ways to get them into her without making it an extremely stressful and negative experience. A vet just gave us a package of Pill Assist from Royal Canin, which seems to be similar to pill pockets but only sold by veterinarians. She likes them and seems to eat them without any issues regarding the pills stuck inside. Just to make sure, I've been crushing some Temptations, which I don't ordinarily buy but was told they would be OK as a treat when medicating, and rolling the Pill Assist in the crumbs. That may be unnecessary at this point if she will eat the treat without added goodies. But since one of the pills is Cerenia, which is known to taste terrible, I wonder if I should stick with the idea of putting all three, or maybe just Cerenia, in a gel cap to disguise the taste? If she decides she won't eat the Pill Assist because of Cerenia, I've lost a stress-free way of medicating her. The capsule with 3 tablets doesn't fit easily inside the treat, so perhaps using just half a gel cap, with a tiny bit of canned food over the opening to keep the pill from falling out, would work, and I could give her one or two other pieces with the other two pills?

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As someone who recently had to deal with CKD with my Cody for 7 months, I would say do whatever works in whatever form for your cat. I was not able to medicate Cody. His vet needed to give him his Mirataz in pill form twice a week when he went in for sub-q fluids. We started with topical Mirataz for his appetite that went on the inside of his ears. It worked great but he developed a reaction to it. Cody would not eat anything added to his food he knew if drops were in it or a pill was crushed up it was very challenging. He did not like pill pockets and he wasn’t a fan of many treats he was also not a fan of human food except a bit of chicken or other meats. I couldn’t give anything by dropper he wouldn’t spit up. I am not familiar with Cerenia so not sure what that is for.

Taking him to the vet two mornings every week for seven months was difficult too but it was paying off and that his kidney numbers were improving even though we knew it was only a matter of time we were hoping to get another year or so, unfortunately he developed anemia and ruined any hope. The one thing we always agreed on was whatever we could get him to eat was great. It didn’t matter if it was good for kidneys or not. Keeping weight on was the number one goal. And keeping him happy and active. Most kidney foods are terrible and the cats do not like them. If you have a kidney cat that likes those foods you are truly blessed. So I would go with whatever means work for your cat. Unfortunately kidney cats can be quite fickle from each day to the next. I also spent those seven months going from pet store to pet store getting all different foods because what he ate today he might not eat tomorrow.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked up the medications you have listed I’m not sure why you’re being prescribed two different anti-nausea medications? Is she throwing up a lot? also are you sure it’s mirtazapine that’s prescribed, it’s an anti-depressant for adult humans.

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked up the medications you have listed I’m not sure why you’re being prescribed two different anti-nausea medications? Is she throwing up a lot? also are you sure it’s mirtazapine that’s prescribed, it’s an anti-depressant for adult humans.
Mirtazapine which is an antidepressant in humans is used as a appetite stimulant in cats. Both of my cats are one it - one for kidney disease and one for suspected IBD with diabetes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To answer your question, I use gel caps in various sizes all the time with my GSD. He takes multiple meds and I am able to combine them in one or two gel caps as opposed to putting multiple pills down his throat, as he has to be pilled. I think your idea is very sound about using gel caps.

Empty Gelatin Capsules, Empty Vegetarian Capsules, Flavored Capsules

You can get these on Amazon, but if you scroll down, there will be a size chart if you need to refer to it. Size 00 is the biggest, oddly enough. If your cat is eating the pills with the Pill Assist, that is probably a very good thing to keep going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As someone who recently had to deal with CKD with my Cody for 7 months, I would say do whatever works in whatever form for your cat. I was not able to medicate Cody. His vet needed to give him his Mirataz in pill form twice a week when he went in for sub-q fluids. We started with topical Mirataz for his appetite that went on the inside of his ears. It worked great but he developed a reaction to it. Cody would not eat anything added to his food he knew if drops were in it or a pill was crushed up it was very challenging. He did not like pill pockets and he wasn’t a fan of many treats he was also not a fan of human food except a bit of chicken or other meats. I couldn’t give anything by dropper he wouldn’t spit up. I am not familiar with Cerenia so not sure what that is for.

Taking him to the vet two mornings every week for seven months was difficult too but it was paying off and that his kidney numbers were improving even though we knew it was only a matter of time we were hoping to get another year or so, unfortunately he developed anemia and ruined any hope. The one thing we always agreed on was whatever we could get him to eat was great. It didn’t matter if it was good for kidneys or not. Keeping weight on was the number one goal. And keeping him happy and active. Most kidney foods are terrible and the cats do not like them. If you have a kidney cat that likes those foods you are truly blessed. So I would go with whatever means work for your cat. Unfortunately kidney cats can be quite fickle from each day to the next. I also spent those seven months going from pet store to pet store getting all different foods because what he ate today he might not eat tomorrow.
I hear you about the special diet foods. I took my cat to a different vet to get additional advice about managing her kidney disease, and they suggested also trying special diet foods for urinary problems since apparently they are also low in phosphorus. I'm working through a sample of new cans from the various "big brands" and trying to find out what she likes best. I will alternate those with her kidney diet foods. She was off and on with those, but perhaps if they don't come around as often now that I have additional options, she will retain interest in everything and I won't be stuck with cases of unused food in the basement! The main reason I consulted second doctor, and one that's considerably farther away from my house, was to get help with her poor appetite. I suspect nearly everyone who has a cat with kidney disease struggles with this. You are right that in the end, getting our cats to eat anything is better than insisting on the special diet if they repeatedly reject it.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good your girl likes some of the better foods for her. I did end up donating A LOT of foods after Cody passed. When he liked something I had to get all I could. With Covid, foods were available one day and supply issues the next, it was terrible. Still is. Thanks for info on Mirtazapine. Turns out its same as my topical and pill. Just a trademark name for same medication.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right that in the end, getting our cats to eat anything is better than insisting on the special diet if they repeatedly reject it.
Cody was a big guy. Seeing him every day he had lost a few lbs before he stopped eating and I saw something was wrong. At the time he wasn’t really a lap cat. Once diagnosed I was super happy when I was able to get a couple lbs back on him. I was obsessed with his weight every week.