medication for making a cat sleepy

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment on Monday with the rescue that I take all my feral cats to, so they get neutered. Well today I trapped the cat and as I was going to transfer him into a carrier, I was not paying attention to well and he got out. He is on my enclosed porch, but I don't know how to catch him again. I do have one trap set with food in it, I also have a trap that the back of it is in the open air, thinking he might want to go outside and then go into the trap. I have my slider door open enough to set the trap in and the top is blocked off, but who knows by tomorrow he may have gotten out. I know I will never get him again, he also has a bad foot this is why I was in a hurry to get him. He is kinda big and I am a little afraid of him, to go directly at him, he could go wild on me. So my thoughts are can I put something in his food to make him sleepy. When I mean sleepy, this is so I am not afraid to pick him up. Any thought will help. I hate to have to let him out. Tomorrow I have another idea, but that is if he doesn't disappear tonight. I did this because at night is when they move around, because we are sleeping, but this is also when they try to dig there way out. If I hear a big crash, I know he knocked the wood down and is on his way. I didn't leave any food out other then what is in the one trap, so I know he is hungry. But since I caught him once should I cover the traps. I just sat them there, I didn't want to keep going out bothering him, I just want to catch him. Any thought anyone, I need help.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Gabapentin is what vets usually will give you to give to cats to make them sedated so you can handle them more easily but I found it doesn't always work, we once gave it to one of our cats and it worked the opposite, made her hyper! We told the vet and they said "yes, it can have that opposite effect" :ohwell: :confused2:

I often wonder if giving them catnip would relax them but I know the same thing could happen there, I give Sylvester catnip once in awhile to see if it chills him out by he seems to get more cranked up from it! Maybe put some in with this cat's food but you'll have to make sure it doesn't wander off and go to sleep somewhere that you can't get it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gabapentin is what vets usually will give you to give to cats to make them sedated so you can handle them more easily but I found it doesn't always work, we once gave it to one of our cats and it worked the opposite, made her hyper! We told the vet and they said "yes, it can have that opposite effect" :ohwell: :confused2:

I often wonder if giving them catnip would relax them but I know the same thing could happen there, I give Sylvester catnip once in awhile to see if it chills him out by he seems to get more cranked up from it! Maybe put some in with this cat's food but you'll have to make sure it doesn't wander off and go to sleep somewhere that you can't get it!
this cat doesn't seem to want to eat. I threw a few treats on the floor and he might of eaten them, but I am holding the food back, there is food if he wants to go into the trap to get it. I need to get this cat. It is hiding under a table on my porch, and I would like to get behind it and get it to move out and got straight for the door and into this trap I set up. But I had a real bad experience with two kittens once, they flew up the walls and broke stuff and I am not looking forward to this, with this big cat. I don't think I will be fast enough to even get a blanket on him. I don't want to let it go, I need to get it neutered and its foot look at.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we had to have a woman come in our house from a local Cat Shack twice to catch them in a long handled fishing net, it wasn't the easiest thing to do or watch but it worked and had to be done, don't know if that would work? Or is there anyone at your local rescue place that could come and help you with this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was just going to say fishing net as a dear friend of mine in Bangor, PA is the one who brought me to this idea years ago. What happens is that once you get the cat you usually try to drop it into the carrier; you might have to cut the net away from the frame in order to close the door and then let the rescue remove it when the cat is sedated. Aside from that, someone needs to help you.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well this worked out better then I expected. I called the rescue and she said to just put food in the traps and nothing else, he will come sooner or later. Have to just wait. I was concerned that he wouldn't eat because he wouldn't go in and she said they won't stare to death. I am always so concerned and I think I do more harm then good. I even took a storage container that I used outside for them to sleep in. I butted the hole up against the opening of my slider and on the other end of the opening I put the trap. We did block the top off too. Plus all kind of brick to hold everything, always a fiasco. I figured he would see outside from there and maybe go, but that didn't work. Actually why I said this was easier then expected was, I put chicken in the other trap on the porch and he went in and got caught. And tonight I released him, he ate all his food every time I fed him after he was neutered. Still has a little bit of a sore foot, not limping to bad, will be ok soon. So lets hope he isn't that scared and will return tonight for food. Thanks everyone for all your comments.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that it all worked out, I know from experience that it is quite nerve wracking trying to catch them and also not being able to feed them except for inside the trap, that's when we have to get tough and do it! So so glad that it worked out, Lord Bless you for helping this little one! :rbheart:

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well this worked out better then I expected. I called the rescue and she said to just put food in the traps and nothing else, he will come sooner or later. Have to just wait. I was concerned that he wouldn't eat because he wouldn't go in and she said they won't stare to death. I am always so concerned and I think I do more harm then good. I even took a storage container that I used outside for them to sleep in. I butted the hole up against the opening of my slider and on the other end of the opening I put the trap. We did block the top off too. Plus all kind of brick to hold everything, always a fiasco. I figured he would see outside from there and maybe go, but that didn't work. Actually why I said this was easier then expected was, I put chicken in the other trap on the porch and he went in and got caught. And tonight I released him, he ate all his food every time I fed him after he was neutered. Still has a little bit of a sore foot, not limping to bad, will be ok soon. So lets hope he isn't that scared and will return tonight for food. Thanks everyone for all your comments.
I am glad to hear that it all worked out, I know from experience that it is quite nerve wracking trying to catch them and also not being able to feed them except for inside the trap, that's when we have to get tough and do it! So so glad that it worked out, Lord Bless you for helping this little one! :rbheart:
Just wanted to give a follow up on my buddy, by the way I named him Patches. He actually came back the night I released him, to eat, and I didn't think I would see him for days, but I guess he trusted me. For as big as he was and how afraid I was of him, he was a good cat. He seems to be putting his paw on the ground and putting more weight on it. I just hope he can keep himself safe. I live on a bad road and I already picked a few up that got hit with cars. I made an extra feeding station and two more shelters for winter in 2019 because I had about 7 cats coming, that just seemed to show up, then all of a sudden 5 of them were gone, within two weeks. I just couldn't believe all of them disappeared. They all would of had to be neutered, in 2020 but they disappear, and that bothers me because I think maybe some one is hurting them. I have been neutering any cat that comes to my house. But what bothers me is I take all this time and money and then they disappear. So I don't know what to think. I do live in the country, but for 5 cats to disappear within two weeks, doesn't sound right to me. Maybe I just can't believe they all got killed from wild animals. Out of all the cats I neutered I only have one left, plus this new one I just had neutered. So where did they all go?