Medication for anxiety

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bet gave me a medication for anxiety for my 5 year old kitty. She stresses over everything and then develops a UTI. Got Baytil for that but he gave a sedative that I'm not sure of. All it says on the bottle is Ace 10. To be used when anxiety is extreme. Is this medicine safe? And can I cut it in quarters instead if a whole one. Thank you!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I think that the Ace 10 is probably Acepromazine in a 10 mg dosage, but you should ask your vet to confirm. You can read about it here: Acepromazine. Regarding giving only 1/4 of a tablet, check with your vet first. They chose whatever dosage is on the label for a reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I think that the Ace 10 is probably Acepromazine in a 10 mg dosage, but you should ask your vet to confirm. You can read about it here: Acepromazine. Regarding giving only 1/4 of a tablet, check with your vet first. They chose whatever dosage is on the label for a reason.
Yes I believe that's what he called it. I was concerned someone said it was dangerous this medication.

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you do much. Gave me some hope.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm unsure about cats, but Ace is considered a no-go medication for dogs. It doesn't address anxiety, it's more of a sedative, but the animal is aware of what is going on just unable to do anything about it. So it can create additional stress and anxiety, and sometimes produce an aggressive response.

Is she anxious on a daily basis? I'd wonder about something like an SSRI in that case. My dog with high anxiety takes Paxil daily and I've seen good results. If you're not in need of a daily medication, something like Trazodone or Clonidine or Alprazolam could be good options - it really just depends on what your cat needs.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For my cat, the vet suggested either Fluoxetine (Prozac) or Clomipramine (Clomicalm). The Prozac addresses the anxiety but my cat had a weird reaction to it where it turned her fear off entirely. She got really aggressive as a result. I don't think that's a very common response, but it isn't unheard of. I still recommend it as it has a really high success rate. The Clomicalm didn't really seem to work for us. It's just a sedative that calms them down. It just made Journey sleepy a lot but didn't really seem to help anything in the long run. Still worth a try ...

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We take our cats with us when we drive to our condo. 2 of them are OK with the drive. But, 2 of them get very stressed out, panting a lot, and one of them will be stressed enough to poop in the car. Our vet has us give 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet of Ace to the 2 that get stressed out.

It is important to give it to them a couple of hours before we leave so they won't already be stressed. If given to them after they are already stressed, it has minimal effect. The Ace just about knocks them out. They wake up about 2 hours after we are underway, and they are OK for the whole trip.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I thought this Article that discusses Anti-Anxiety Medication for Cats might have some helpful information for you:
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress.

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was way too sedated with the half Ace. And Vet prescribed a whole pill twice a day. I think I should of gone with the 1/4 pill. Was too much for her. She is a nervous cat normally and she started having UTI problems after we lost our other kitty. She didn't handle that well. No bacteria in urine culture and had not had this problem in 2 years. All vets could ever figure she makes herself ill somehow. Thanks to all you wonderful people. I do so appreciate it.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have had good results with small dose of Zoloft. It's an SSRI - not a seditive.
Good luck with kitty :hellocomputer:

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I'll mention that to the new Vet I plan to go to. But you know how they are. They don't like you to suggest anything that they didn't think of first. 😿

Catsmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anybody used 50mg Trazadone for stress related bladder problems?