Medical Mystery For 1 Year Old Cat

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, this is my first time posting. I’m very desperate for help and have seen two vets as well. Hoping for some ideas or thoughts on possibilities of whats going on with my cat.

I got my boy Oscar when he was a few months old. A friend of mine found him outside with a head tilt and caught him. Unfortunately her other cats did not take well to him so I ended up taking him. He is the only animal in my home. He is extremely active even with the head tilt, has an insatiable appetite and very sweet, cuddly.

My friend’s vet informed her the head tilt was most likely from a polyp. Two weeks after I got him, I brought him to the vet was told they did not see a polyp but it was discovered he had lung worm. He was treated, but the head tilt did not go away.

Fast forward about a year with absolutely no complications or issues, oscar is neutered. 4 days after the neutering he begins to vomit and shiver. Still has energy and an appetite. As quickly as it started it ended and he was back to normal. I figured it could of been due to antibiotics or just nerves.

2 weeks later, about 2 weeks ago now, he began to shiver again. A day later he started refusing food, and acting extremely lethargic. I brought him to a different vet the next day. And right away they found the polyp in his middle ear. It was removed the next day. And found he had a ruptured ear drum. Also he developed horner’s syndrome.

It has now been a week, the polyp has been removed, he is still shivering, refusing food, and lethargic. He was on a steroid, given an antibiotic injection, and Cerenia. I’ve been to the vet three times (an amazing vet in my area with the best rating), and she cannot find anything physically wrong with him. His blood work is perfect, he has no reactions to any pain tests and no signs of neurologic issues. We have since stopped the Cerenia due to it making him offer than how off he already was. We have lowered the steroid due to diarrhea it was causing. And we put him on a pain med. since the pain med has started 3 days ago he’s been perfect, eating non stop, playing nonstop.

The vet told me to cut back on the pain med and see how he is, maybe his issues have solved or healed themself. Unfortunately it has been 1 day and he’s back to not eating and lethargic. I dropped a stool sample, to retest for the lung worm.

I am going to call the vet in the morning.

My question is, I was told from the polyp removal he’d heal right off the bat. I have not read any bad side effects of this procedure. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? The next step would be evaluation at the vet for a few days, which the vet knows he will not be a good candidate for considering how nervous he gets.

I feel as if I have missed some things, I hope I covered it all. I’m sorry if this was all over the place. I’m so distraught about how suddenly over night this all happened. I can’t help but shake off the feeling after the neuter things have not been the same. But the vet (who did not do the neuter) claims she didn’t see any issues at the site and again no pain reaction.

If there’s any more questions or things I haven’t clarified I will answer no issue.

Thank you so much for your time,
A concerned cat mama

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, wow.
First, poor kitty and poor you! At least Oscar is in good hands, thank heavens for you!
If I understand correctly, at THIS point, IF he takes a pain med, he's totally fine?
The "pain tests" that the vet performed, were they for physical stuff like muscle joint and so on? I wonder if he does have pain, but it's visceral pain (stomach, intestines etc..) or maybe the polyp removal or ear drum did not quite heal right and there is an infection DEEP inside that she can't see evidence of.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet that diagnosed Horner's Syndrome have an idea to what caused it?
Horner's can be cause by middle ear issues (which Oscar had) but also issues (ex:tumor) in the neck (head tilt).
Did the vet give you anything for the Horner's Syndrome? Can Oscar blink OK? I wonder if his eyes are hurting him (corneal ulcers)

I wonder if Oscar does have a sympathetic nervous system problem and the anesthetic (not the neuter itself) may have affected him in a negative way?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a rare condition in cats called Feline Dysautonomia, that can cause Horner's. It has a wide range of other symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a rare condition in cats called Feline Dysautonomia, that can cause Horner's. It has a wide range of other symptoms.

I appreciate the response so much!

Yes on the pain meds he is completely his normal self. By pain tests, I mean she felt him, pressed organs, moved joints, legs, head and made him jump off different levels to see if there was anything abnormal. She played with him for almost an hour checking his reactions and cognitive responses. His pupils dilated correctly, he can hear fine so she doesn’t suspect eardrum damage.

She did a culture on his infection in the eardrum and found the appropriate antibiotic to battle that.

The vet said the horner’s is from the polyp removal, due to the pressure change in his inner ear. He can blink fine, thank god! But she said it is something that will heal itself in time.

When he is not on his pain medicine, he has seconds where he seems himself and starts to play, then just completely stops and goes to lay down. He acts as if he is starving, runs to get food, takes a few licks and stops.

She believed he may have been dizzy from the pressure changes in his ear, but since the polyp removal was a week ago she was very certain the dizziness should be gone from now. He also has no other symptoms of dizziness and doesn’t seem to lack balance.

I have never heard of that rare condition is it something I will bring up to her tomorrow. Her only other thought was maybe the lung worm he had a year ago is somehow causing him issues after being under anesthesia.

At this point his only two symptoms are not eating and lethargy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point his only two symptoms are not eating and lethargy.
.....which goes away if on pain meds.

Her only other thought was maybe the lung worm he had a year ago is somehow causing him issues after being under anesthesia.
What kind of issues does she mean?

OK, I'm thinking out of the box here but...
Do you think Oscar may be having chronic headache issues which has surfaced from being neutered? Either due to body position while anesthetized because of the head tilt (tension headaches) or a side effect from the ear surgery?
I just can't seem to let go of the fact that pain meds make him "normal". Something must be hurting if the pain meds help.

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
.....which goes away if on pain meds.

What kind of issues does she mean?

OK, I'm thinking out of the box here but...
Do you think Oscar may be having chronic headache issues which has surfaced from being neutered? Either due to body position while anesthetized because of the head tilt (tension headaches) or a side effect from the ear surgery?
I just can't seem to let go of the fact that pain meds make him "normal". Something must be hurting if the pain meds help.

That’s my thought exactly. Obviously something is wrong somewhere. We just can’t seem to find where. From I understand with her lung worm idea, was either it wasn’t completely solved and being under anesthesia made it worse, or if he has any sort of scar tissue in his lungs, that maybe his body is reactive as if there is an infection. I may have taken what she said wrong but that’s what I got out of it. Which I don’t personally think is the issue, he would have many other symptoms that pain meds couldn’t resolve.

I just feel so bad, because he is so young. And would any stomach or intestinal issues show any signs on a blood panel?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's times like this I wish I were a 99 years old, retired vet that's seen it all and could give you some clues, but I'm not. This is a big time noodle-scratcher :headscratch:
Please hang around and let us know anything you find out and let us know how he's doing. This is very strange and I'm hoping you can find some answers and some treatment to help this little guy feel better. I'm sure glad he has an owner that's dedicated to finding out what's going on :hellocomputer:

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's times like this I wish I were a 99 years old, retired vet that's seen it all and could give you some clues, but I'm not. This is a big time noodle-scratcher :headscratch:
Please hang around and let us know anything you find out and let us know how he's doing. This is very strange and I'm hoping you can find some answers and some treatment to help this little guy feel better. I'm sure glad he has an owner that's dedicated to finding out what's going on :hellocomputer:
Absolutely, thank you for your thoughts!

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what blood tests did they do? can you post the results so we can have a look at them?
Absolutely, the vet actually didn’t give me a copy. But I could always ask her. They did a full panel. Pretty much right off the bat. She was worried for any organ failures. The only thing she said she noticed was signs of infection but that was before the antibiotic for his ear drum

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately there have been no discoveries or changes for Oscar. He is still on the pain med so he is eating, but he is still shivering and not his normal self.

Spec test came up negative for pancreatitis. She ran a viral blood work panel as well to make sure he did not catch anything. I haven’t heard those results left. Also his lungworm test was negative.

At this point I’m beginning to wonder if it is neurological.

At this point I’m so frustrated and at a loss, part of me wants to get another opinion.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this should have come up with blood work and such, but has your vet considered Addison's disease?

This was pulled off a different website, it explains what COULD show in tesing...

""You will need to give your veterinarian a thorough history of your cat's health and onset of symptoms. Your veterinarian will perform a thorough physical exam on your pet, including routine laboratory tests, a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, and urinalysis. The complete blood count may reveal anemia, an abnormally high number of eosinophils (a type of white blood cells that readily stains with eosin dye), and an increased number of lymphocytes (also a type of white blood cell) called (lymphocytosis).

Serum biochemistry testing may reveal an abnormally higher level of potassium, and an accumulation in the blood of urea - nitrogenous waste products that are usually excreted out of the body through the urine (azotemia). Other findings include lower levels of sodium (hyponatremia) and chloride (hypochloremia), increased levels of calcium (hypercalcemia), increased liver enzymes, including ALT and AST, and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The urinalysis may reveal a low concentration of urine. The definitive test for diagnosing this condition is by detecting the levels of cortisol in the body. Normally the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) is produced by the pituitary gland, which then stimulates the adrenal glands to release their hormones. ACTH can be injected into the body to test the normal response functions of the adrenal glands. If your cat’s adrenal glands do not show an increase in the release of hormones after being given ACTH, then the diagnosis of hypoadrenocorticism will be confirmed. Visual diagnostic procedures, like X-ray and ultrasound, may reveal smaller than normal adrenal glands.""

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this should have come up with blood work and such, but has your vet considered Addison's disease?

This was pulled off a different website, it explains what COULD show in tesing...

""You will need to give your veterinarian a thorough history of your cat's health and onset of symptoms. Your veterinarian will perform a thorough physical exam on your pet, including routine laboratory tests, a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, and urinalysis. The complete blood count may reveal anemia, an abnormally high number of eosinophils (a type of white blood cells that readily stains with eosin dye), and an increased number of lymphocytes (also a type of white blood cell) called (lymphocytosis).

Serum biochemistry testing may reveal an abnormally higher level of potassium, and an accumulation in the blood of urea - nitrogenous waste products that are usually excreted out of the body through the urine (azotemia). Other findings include lower levels of sodium (hyponatremia) and chloride (hypochloremia), increased levels of calcium (hypercalcemia), increased liver enzymes, including ALT and AST, and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The urinalysis may reveal a low concentration of urine. The definitive test for diagnosing this condition is by detecting the levels of cortisol in the body. Normally the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) is produced by the pituitary gland, which then stimulates the adrenal glands to release their hormones. ACTH can be injected into the body to test the normal response functions of the adrenal glands. If your cat’s adrenal glands do not show an increase in the release of hormones after being given ACTH, then the diagnosis of hypoadrenocorticism will be confirmed. Visual diagnostic procedures, like X-ray and ultrasound, may reveal smaller than normal adrenal glands.""

I will have to call her tomorrow and bring that up. He was doing extremely well these past few days on his pain medicine alone. Instead of every 9 hours, I did 11 for the first time today and he is shivering and holding onto to me, like he was before we started the medicine. It’s so sad to see. I just don’t understand how all of this is happening, with absolutely no explanation.

She did an ultrasound Friday and could not see anything abnormal in intestines or stomach either.

He seems to find comfort in really odd curled up positions but still shivers. Like with his head between his back legs but sitting on his butt if that makes any sense.

He’s been on wellness food for a few months, can the wellness suddenly be an issue?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shivering and posture are both pointing to pain as well. But where the pain is and what is causing it is the ultimate frustrating question!!! The posture you describe does seem to point to abdominal pain...somewhere...I wonder if a cat scan or MRI of his head and spine is in order. If this is a neurological issue, pain management may be the only option.
Did you ask your vet about the possibility of headaches/migraines?

When it comes to the food, if he's developed an allergy to one of the ingredients, I guess it could cause some pain. I know my niece has an allergy to a certain food and if she ingests it, her reaction is not anaphylactic or hives, but SEVERE stomach pains. But they only last for as long as she is digesting the food. And it can be a minuscule amount that triggers the reaction. But I guess it's possible if kitty is still eating a few bits of kibble throughout the day.
I wonder if you made him some plain boiled chicken and rice if you would notice his stomach feels better and the shivering stops. This is not a complete balanced meal for a cat, so I would ask your vet if this would be a good idea and for how long you should try it for. This is something that is often suggested as a stomach settling meal, as it's easy to digest. This will obviously not work if your kitty is allergic to chicken though.

I'm going to keep my thinking cap on for you, but this is a tough one. I'm so sorry for you and your kitty!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For an otherwise healthy cat, you can feed an unbalanced diet for a couple of weeks without issues. You can try it for a few days to a week. If he improves, there are premixes you can buy to balance boneless chicken, cooked or raw, into complete nutrition for a cat.

Does he still have the Horners? Is the third eyelid partially up all the time and does he still have the head tilt? Ruptured eardrums and Horners can take a long time to heal.

Does he shake his head or scratch/paw at his ears?

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The shivering and posture are both pointing to pain as well. But where the pain is and what is causing it is the ultimate frustrating question!!! The posture you describe does seem to point to abdominal pain...somewhere...I wonder if a cat scan or MRI of his head and spine is in order. If this is a neurological issue, pain management may be the only option.
Did you ask your vet about the possibility of headaches/migraines?

When it comes to the food, if he's developed an allergy to one of the ingredients, I guess it could cause some pain. I know my niece has an allergy to a certain food and if she ingests it, her reaction is not anaphylactic or hives, but SEVERE stomach pains. But they only last for as long as she is digesting the food. And it can be a minuscule amount that triggers the reaction. But I guess it's possible if kitty is still eating a few bits of kibble throughout the day.
I wonder if you made him some plain boiled chicken and rice if you would notice his stomach feels better and the shivering stops. This is not a complete balanced meal for a cat, so I would ask your vet if this would be a good idea and for how long you should try it for. This is something that is often suggested as a stomach settling meal, as it's easy to digest. This will obviously not work if your kitty is allergic to chicken though.

I'm going to keep my thinking cap on for you, but this is a tough one. I'm so sorry for you and your kitty!
Thank you so much for your responses. You have so much knowledge. He is shivering on the pain meds now as well, which makes me believe something could be getting worse. The vet will be calling be some point today and I will bring up the cat scan and mri. The food allergy is a huge possibility.

I purchased him a new type of food to try to see if anything changes. Unfortunately he only likes fish. Anything chicken, turkey, liver flavor he will not eat. But maybe boiled chicken would be different

oscarhasmyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For an otherwise healthy cat, you can feed an unbalanced diet for a couple of weeks without issues. You can try it for a few days to a week. If he improves, there are premixes you can buy to balance boneless chicken, cooked or raw, into complete nutrition for a cat.

Does he still have the Horners? Is the third eyelid partially up all the time and does he still have the head tilt? Ruptured eardrums and Horners can take a long time to heal.

Does he shake his head or scratch/paw at his ears?
Yes he still has horner’s and the head tilt. Neither have gotten better. His third eyelid is up very prominently. He doesn’t shake or paw his ear much at all. Once a while he’ll shake his head but he’s always done that, due to his head tilt. I have multiple videos oh his twitching/shivering. It’s mostly on his back end. Mid spine down to back feet. I’ve tried touching his spine and looking for any reaction but I haven’t noticed any reaction.