Meats you feed?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what other raw feeders cats are eating for meats?
My cat loves chicken, turkey, cornish game hen and mice, she'll eat sardines and eggs as well for treats. She will eat any part, gizzards, organs, bone in meat. These last couple weeks got her to eat dressed bone in rabbit and duck on her own but would like her to be eating more whole prey. She's not 100% raw fed, she gets about half and half canned because of the lack of variety she will or can eat. I raw feed my ferrets and would love to feed them the same but she cannot handle beef, venison, or pork, they come right back up. She will not touch whole gerbils, rats, quail, day old chicks, guinea pigs, skinned rabbit heads, muskrat. I could try goat or sheep, but hooved animals haven't went over so well. I don't have access to goose. I'm not sure how to get her to eat the other whole prey, or how to get her from dressed to whole, I'd bet if I get dressed quail, she'll eat it, but with feathers no interest.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pork meat, heart, kidney, liver
Beef meat, heart, kidney, liver, "sweetbreads"
All parts of a chicken minus the intestines and head
Turkey liver, gizzard, heart, meat
Lamb heart, kidney, liver
Quail
Rabbit
Crickets

Come hunting season I have already asked a deer processor and they'll give me all scraps for free

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoingPostal

Just wondering what other raw feeders cats are eating for meats?
My cat loves chicken, turkey, cornish game hen and mice, she'll eat sardines and eggs as well for treats. She will eat any part, gizzards, organs, bone in meat. These last couple weeks got her to eat dressed bone in rabbit and duck on her own but would like her to be eating more whole prey. She's not 100% raw fed, she gets about half and half canned because of the lack of variety she will or can eat. I raw feed my ferrets and would love to feed them the same but she cannot handle beef, venison, or pork, they come right back up. She will not touch whole gerbils, rats, quail, day old chicks, guinea pigs, skinned rabbit heads, muskrat. I could try goat or sheep, but hooved animals haven't went over so well. I don't have access to goose. I'm not sure how to get her to eat the other whole prey, or how to get her from dressed to whole, I'd bet if I get dressed quail, she'll eat it, but with feathers no interest.
I only feed whole prey that is the same size as cats would eat in the wild. That way I'm sure the bones are small enough for them to eat.

I buy our quails whole, my cats won't touch them like that, my husband cuts them open and sometimes takes some of the skin/feathers off the breast first. We also feed a lot of pigeon and he prepares those the same way.

Mimosa does not eat whole prey but she does eat day old chicks when we help her by taking off the head and taking some of the skin off.
It feels a bit like helping a small child that cannot peel a tangerine or open a packet of candy by herself.

We feed day old chicks, chicken (ground for Mimosa and game hens for the boys), quail or pigeon and mouse daily. We feed venison scraps every other day.
I feed any other meat whenever I can get a good deal; lamb, ostrich, goose, duck, guineafowl, turkey, fish, beef, phaesant, whatever.
I don't feed pork because some of the neighbouring countries here (I live in the netherlands) still don't have eradicated the Aujeszki (pseudo-rabies) virus. I can't always be sure where the meat comes from and there are many other things I can feed beside pork, so I'm not taking the risk.

I have only one cat who eats mice, I have experimented with a lot of other rodents but none of the cats liked those. They are also not very fond of rabbit.

Furryfriends mentions crickets, they give me the creeps so I don't have those in the house often but I do have grasshoppers and mealworms (beetles too because I breed my own) for my hedgehogs. The cats are welcome to hunt and eat any escaped insects they can find.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no meats I wouldn't feed, but my regular menu is as follows:

Breakfast
Twelve ounces of each of the following is divided between all six.

Monday: Whole chicken hearts

Tuesday & Saturday: Beef round or stew meat chunks.

Wednesday & Friday: Whole duck hearts.

Thursday & Sunday: Pork loin chunks.

Wednesday & Friday: Whole turkey hearts.

Lunch
Monday & Saturday: Three pieces of chicken wing each. I use only the wing tips and the middle pieces and I cut the middle pieces in half between the two bones (not across them). Two of the six cats get the wing tips and the others share the middle pieces.

Tuesday & Friday: 1oz of chicken, turkey or beef liver and 1oz of chicken gizzards for every cat except Heather, who gets only 3/4s of an ounce of the liver. I feed the liver first and when it's gone, the gizzards.

Wednesday: Four chicken breasts-with-rib halves divided between them (I remove about 3/4s of the meat first).

Sunday & Thursday: 1oz of beef kidney and 1oz of chicken breast for every cat except Heather, who gets only 3/4s of an ounce of the kidney. I feed the kidney first and when it's gone, the gizzards.

One cat, Ralph, throws up organ meats when they are fed alone. For him only, I chop the organs and the accompanying meat and mix them thoroughly before I give it to him.

Dinner
Monday: 12oz of chicken breast chunks is divided between them.

Thursday & Saturday: All the meat from a skinned chicken quarter is divided between them.

Tuesday and Friday: 12oz of rabbit meat chunks is divided between them.

Wednesday & Sunday: All the meat from a turkey drumstick is divided between them.

Once a week, I dump two or three dozen crickets in the tub and let the cats pick them off as they wish and every weekend, they each get about 3/4 of a wild-caught, packed-in-water sardine. Every now and again I'll drizzle eggs over their food and once in a blue moon I'll bring home something unusual - bison meat or quail, for instance - to just surprise them.

As you can see, no single item is fed more than twice a week.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the menu, I would also prefer not to feed any one item too much, but it's hard with her only eating certain items, the rabbit and duck helps but I have to order those online. I was trying to come up with some sort of meal plan for her, ideally I could get her on quail as well but that is six proteins without it. Won't be nearly so set in stone depending on how my mice breed and what I feel like taking out but a starter point anyways. I also have to convince her to eat beef kidney, so far no go, or maybe the rabbit heads instead for another organ, I don't have access to spleen or anything else. Or convince her to eat more whole prey and then I wouldn't worry about it so much. I still have a months worth of canned left to figure it out.

Mon chicken bone in (varied cut breast, drummie, wing, neck)
Tues turkey gizzards, turkey liver
Wed duck or maybe quail piece, mice
Thur couple hearts (pork or chicken), chicken bone in (different cut than Mon meal)
Fri rabbit piece, mice
Sat some liver (pork, chicken beef), cornish game hen piece
Sun turkey wing or drummie or giblet pack with neck and organs, plus some turkey hearts

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My menu is fairly simplified since I'm currently doing mostly premade raw (lack of organ and varied meat sources around here, and lack of free time on my part make homemade difficult at the moment).

Both cats are currently getting chicken, turkey, and rabbit. Chicken is definitely their favorite. They get the Primal variety, as well as chicken wings for dental maintenance.

I tried beef but Athena's kind of iffy about it, and Apollo consistently threw it up, so that's off the menu. Like you, GoingPostal, I've decided to try avoiding hoofed animals because of Apollo's reaction to the beef. I figure he may just be best off sticking with things closer to a cat's natural prey.

I'd really love to introduce some quail and other birds/small mammals but haven't found a good local source yet.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The nakeds only do raw occassionally, but what I offer is varied as a snack. I get quail, duck, pheasant, venison, lamb, rabbit, bison, chicken, cornish game hens and occassionally something more exotic. It really depends on what the butcher can get for me. The cats took one look at the wild boar and ran LOL

I have tried a fully raw diet over and over, the cats just won't have it.

kittytales

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I envy your selection!

Our usual fare is chicken (whole drum stick or meaty back segments) or turkey (meaty back segments) with a side of calf or chicken heart. They'll get a meal of just chicken or calf liver w/ ground pork or beef every 7-10 days. An egg and sardine (or mackerel) meal every 7-10 days. Dressed quail or rabbit about six days a month, and random meat periodically. (Lamb breast, pork ribs, beef ribs, quartered cornish hen.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I've got her eating chicken, turkey, cornish game hen and duck, plus mice, she does seem to get bored easily with so much poultry so I feed canned once a week as well. Rabbit caused some vomiting issues so I cut that out, I did order some freeze dried raw for my ferrets and got chicken and duck formulas so she can eat them, if she will anyways, would be nice for vacations or when I forget to take something out. I breed mice so she was used to only eating those "fresh" so I did manage now to get her eating them frozen thawed so I'm trying to get her to go for a rat as well.