Meat Mates

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pricey, but it also has to do with the fact that they actually use mostly meat/organ ingredients as well as grass-fed lamb and venison. I don’t think any pet food company is that great, and it is messed up that they weren’t forthcoming about the bone, but after weighing all the evils out there, FN is the only one I feed on occasions when we are not home and the cats need a timed meal. Otherwise I bypass all this pet food nonsense by making my own food.
But how can I be sure if they use the ingredients they say they use, if they say they use boneless meat but it doesn’t sound like it. I share your opinion about pet food manufacturers but I’d like to hope this is another level? But yeah, homemade is the only way not to deal with this.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
But how can I be sure if they use the ingredients they say they use, if they say they use boneless meat but it doesn’t sound like it. I share your opinion about pet food manufacturers but I’d like to hope this is another level? But yeah, homemade is the only way not to deal with this.
You can’t be sure. But you can’t be sure of any pet food, really. They all lie. The problem is that the definitions for pet food ingredients are broad and confidential. Any food that just lists “chicken” as an ingredient could potentially include bone. I’m just saying that I’m picking between the lesser of evils. It’s a crap shoot, and what might be a lesser evil for me might not be a lesser evil for someone else.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know that most ingredients listed as: Chicken, Turkey etc may include bones. That’s why I wanted to verify with them. They specifically said their food doesn’t include bones when I asked them, they said the calcium source is the meat itself, enough to meet AAFCO requirements, which doesn’t sound possible?
Ah yes, now I remember that same reply from them as well, it's been awhile ....what a load of hogwash, unbelievable. I have never heard of muscle and organ meat containing enough calcium to meet AAFCO's requirements, Feline Natural must really believe we are idiots. It's the ground bone in their meat that's the calcium source - I expect lies and fairy tales from the feed grade processed foods but was disappointed when I got that same song and dance from FN.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yes, now I remember that same reply from them as well, it's been awhile ....what a load of hogwash, unbelievable. I have never heard of muscle and organ meat containing enough calcium to meet AAFCO's requirements, Feline Natural must really believe we are idiots. It's the ground bone in their meat that's the calcium source - I expect lies and fairy tales from the feed grade processed foods but was disappointed when I got that same song and dance from FN.
This is exactly what got me, too, particularly since the bone question is really important for a lot of cats. Based on comments I saw on Chewy.com (the section where you can ask nutrition questions) it sounds like others also received junky responses like this.

P.S. I would have been happier if they'd said something like, "we're not exactly sure how much bone there is in a given bag since each batch varies but I can tell you there's x range." (I did get a response similar to that, about a range, from someone, I forget which company, and was perfectly satisfied with it because they were honest.)

rachbu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats all like this stuff. We've tried beef and chicken. Unfortunately, one appears to have a beef allergy and the other, a chicken issue. But this was in my rotation for a bit and no complaints (other than the poops due to the protein sensitivities)