Meat/Bone Grinder Recommendation?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will be needing this to grind large batch of bones. Will just cut the meat into chunks.

Looking to spend no more than $200. Live in USA.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about using powdered eggshell as a calcium source? It's a lot easier to work with and is more affordable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about using powdered eggshell as a calcium source? It's a lot easier to work with and is more affordable.
I heard eggshell and bonepowder is missing a lot of stuff though? I did try it once and it was actually a bit messy and hard to spread in the mix.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard eggshell and bonepowder is missing a lot of stuff though? I did try it once and it was actually a bit messy and hard to spread in the mix.
If you're just adding it to ground meat that doesn't include organ or other supplements then yeah, it's missing a lot. If you're just using it as a calcium source it's perfectly fine though. I haven't used it myself since I haven't tried making my own raw food, but I hear a good way to get it into a mix is to add a bit of water first and make a paste with it then mix the paste in.

Before I decided on commercial raw food I talked to a Butcher at a local meat market about sourcing meat, organs, and bone, and he suggested using a blender to pulverize bones.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of bones?

If it's only soft bones like chicken wings & thighs, Cornish hen or rabbit, the Tasin TS-108 grinder is what you want, and it's right about your price range. For harder bones like beef, lamb, or turkey, you're looking at something a lot bigger, heavier and at least twice the cost.

I got the Tasin and I'm thrilled with it. It's described online as super noisy, but I haven't found that to be a problem. It is a big piece of equipment but my small apartment kitchen can accommodate it just fine, and I can lift it easily. Cleaning the parts afterwards is admittedly a pain, and it's probably why the catinfo.org recipe authors make food in large batches. I wish they made dishwasher safe parts. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're just adding it to ground meat that doesn't include organ or other supplements then yeah, it's missing a lot. If you're just using it as a calcium source it's perfectly fine though. I haven't used it myself since I haven't tried making my own raw food, but I hear a good way to get it into a mix is to add a bit of water first and make a paste with it then mix the paste in.

Before I decided on commercial raw food I talked to a Butcher at a local meat market about sourcing meat, organs, and bone, and he suggested using a blender to pulverize bones.
Yeah I'm supplementing of course with organs, supplements, eggs, hearts, etc.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of bones?

If it's only soft bones like chicken wings & thighs, Cornish hen or rabbit, the Tasin TS-108 grinder is what you want, and it's right about your price range. For harder bones like beef, lamb, or turkey, you're looking at something a lot bigger, heavier and at least twice the cost.

I got the Tasin and I'm thrilled with it. It's described online as super noisy, but I haven't found that to be a problem. It is a big piece of equipment but my small apartment kitchen can accommodate it just fine, and I can lift it easily. Cleaning the parts afterwards is admittedly a pain, and it's probably why the catinfo.org recipe authors make food in large batches. I wish they made dishwasher safe parts. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Yeah it'll be pretty much only chicken thigh bones. Which I feel like is decently hard. And I really want the Tasin TS-108, but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I got my grinder, I cut up meat & liver/heart/gizzards with scissors, added supplements mixed with water, then mixed in eggshell. It worked ok, but the grinder is way better. Not only much faster but it made for a more cohesive mix.

I still cut up meats with scissors for as much time as I'm willing to spend on it, to provide some chunks for chewing. There's a plate with large triangular holes that came with the grinder that I want to try on the meat pieces though, hoping that will make for a chunkier texture that will provide enough chewing action without all the scissoring work.

I got my Tasin (new but open box) on ebay. You have to keep watching for one to come up. Otherwise, it'll be available at One Stop Jerky Shop sometime later this month.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before I got my grinder, I cut up meat & liver/heart/gizzards with scissors, added supplements mixed with water, then mixed in eggshell. It worked ok, but the grinder is way better. Not only much faster but it made for a more cohesive mix.

I still cut up meats with scissors for as much time as I'm willing to spend on it, to provide some chunks for chewing. There's a plate with large triangular holes that came with the grinder that I want to try on the meat pieces though, hoping that will make for a chunkier texture that will provide enough chewing action without all the scissoring work.

I got my Tasin (new but open box) on ebay. You have to keep watching for one to come up. Otherwise, it'll be available at One Stop Jerky Shop sometime later this month.
Yeah I tried bone powder and egg shells, and I just got the feeling it didn't mix well. I grind the organs, but everything else is chunks. I do hope they get it back in stock. They said they'll do it in May, but I got to keep a close eye on that.