Measuring Food For Calculating Calories, And Timing Of Meals

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did you figure out calories when weighing kibble? The bag only lists kcal/cup so I'm curious how you break that down to kcal/oz.
Generally... customer service.
And they are and aren't your friends. They will usually be forthcoming when you ask them how many grams are in the recommended serving for your cat and they have it, but they may still be recommending that your cat take in too many calories. I got Stewart off his diet food when he lost his weight and the recommended feeding on the regular formula for his size ended up having him gain a full lb within 2-3 months. It's a trial. Start at the recommended, and if you can, weigh your cat each week. Gaining or not losing? Adjust by 5 grams. Same? Adjust by 5 grams. Again. Adjust by 5 grams. I have a pet scale and a food scale. The food scale does grams and ounces, up to 5 lbs. The pet scale does pounds and ounces, up to 30 lbs. I knew it was in best interest to have those two tools when we started dieting in August 2013.
Whatever you end up doing you don't want to overshoot and lose more than 1/2 lb per month. We lost 8 lbs for Tommy from 2013-2016 and now it's just a matter of maintaining his weight.
I will add that I haven't had them (the boys) on kibble since last year. I make their food now and I still have to play with it. Tommy used to eat 5 oz of homemade raw and started losing after his surgery so now I have him up to 7 oz to try to get him back to 13 lbs. He gains 2-3 oz per week. In our case the food ends up weighing the same as volume. 1 oz by weight is 1/8 cup and takes up exactly 1 cube in the ice cube tray.
This calculator can be useful NUTRITIONAL CALCULATOR FOR CATS
He was getting about 220 calories on a diet so I think he was getting 1 1/8 5.5 oz can
But that's in the past. I've got him up to about 270 calories per day right now.