Me And My Cat Just Moved To A New Home

CatMom1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Mom to a 5 year old American Short Hair.
I adopted my cat 5 years ago, my old apartment was the only home he knew. I recently moved, but waited to bring him to the new place so I could get the home ready.
it’s only been a few hours, so I don’t expect this to be a fast process.
He hasn’t eaten… except a few treats or had anything to drink and has been hiding under the bed since he got here. He DID come out of his crate on his own and exported the new place.
Is this all normal?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is normal for your cat - all cats react differently. Do you have beddings/towels/blankets that he used to hang out on in your old place that you can set near him so that he has some 'comforts' with his scent on them? Cat trees/toys? For now, I would place his food/water dish nearby as well as his litterbox, so he can reach them without having to venture too far - hopefully where he can see them from his hiding spot. As you watch him become more acclimated, stop hiding under the bed, and become more interested in the rest of the house, you can place these items where you eventually want them to be and introduce him to their new/permanent locations.

Sit on the floor near the bed and offer him treats while you talk to him. And, for now spend a lot of time in that room with him.

Is he in the room where you will sleep? If so, that might help him to venture out to see you when you go to bed. I might be inclined to close the door for the first night or two just to let him get used to that room with you there and ensure he doesn't go hide somewhere else that is harder for you to find him.

As he starts to venture through the house, just keep him away from doors so that he doesn't have a chance to escape. You don't want him outside in unfamiliar territory.

I am sure you will find he adapts quicker than you might be worried about right now!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It is normal for your cat - all cats react differently. Do you have beddings/towels/blankets that he used to hang out on in your old place that you can set near him so that he has some 'comforts' with his scent on them? Cat trees/toys? For now, I would place his food/water dish nearby as well as his litterbox, so he can reach them without having to venture too far - hopefully where he can see them from his hiding spot. As you watch him become more acclimated, stop hiding under the bed, and become more interested in the rest of the house, you can place these items where you eventually want them to be and introduce him to their new/permanent locations.

Sit on the floor near the bed and offer him treats while you talk to him. And, for now spend a lot of time in that room with him.

Is he in the room where you will sleep? If so, that might help him to venture out to see you when you go to bed. I might be inclined to close the door for the first night or two just to let him get used to that room with you there and ensure he doesn't go hide somewhere else that is harder for you to find him.

As he starts to venture through the house, just keep him away from doors so that he doesn't have a chance to escape. You don't want him outside in unfamiliar territory.

I am sure you will find he adapts quicker than you might be worried about right now!!

I have all his toys, and cat tree, I have his crunchies current sitting next to the bed he has been under all day. He hasn’t eaten and I’m so worried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted, and ask all the questions you want. I am thinking I will soon hear from you that he is starting to come around - if not in the next day, in the coming days thereafter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep us posted, and ask all the questions you want. I am thinking I will soon hear from you that he is starting to come around - if not in the next day, in the coming days thereafter.
Well, we got him out from under the bed and he explored the living room even jumped on furniture but now he’s under my TV table and won’t come out.