Me and my barn rescue Emi

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes! Would she have been a classic/marbled tabby?

Emi reminds me a bit of Abbey (aka Abigail), my mum's long-gone, beloved grey tabby. Lovely, bossy little cat, also a stray, or rather probably dumped when she arrived in our back yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes! Would she have been a classic/marbled tabby?

Emi reminds me a bit of Abbey (aka Abigail), my mum's long-gone, beloved grey tabby. Lovely, bossy little cat, also a stray, or rather probably dumped when she arrived in our back yard.
Marbled is the perfect way to describe her. She had theses awesome swirls in her coat.

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They sure do look the same. I kick myself for not being more aggressive rescuing the mom but at the time we were afraid of bringing stray cats in the house with our senior cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sure do look the same. I kick myself for not being more aggressive rescuing the mom but at the time we were afraid of bringing stray cats in the house with our senior cats.
Yeah, life is nothing if not complicated and our first duty is to keep those in our care safe. If you have a big enough house, or a secure cat-fenced yard or catio, or garage, it is possible. But I know not everyone has those options.

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, life is nothing if not complicated and our first duty is to keep those in our care safe. If you have a big enough house, or a secure cat-fenced yard or catio, or garage, it is possible. But I know not everyone has those options.
They were safe in our barn. She just started leaving for longer and longer periods of time. Emi stayed behind most of the time but was gone for a couple of days a few times. They were just barn strays but I had spent so much time in there with them and had cameras set up so we could upload the videos to watch on my channel we became attached. I thought I had more time but she eventually stopped coming around.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were safe in our barn. She just started leaving for longer and longer periods of time. Emi stayed behind most of the time but was gone for a couple of days a few times. They were just barn strays but I had spent so much time in there with them and had cameras set up so we could upload the videos to watch on my channel we became attached. I thought I had more time but she eventually stopped coming around.
Every cat is loved by me. When we lived in the Mojave, we had a 4-stall barn compound as the original owners had horses. There was a corral in front of the stalls, which my ex cat-fenced and added a mister to for cooling during the hot months. Two of the stalls were for our former "community cats" who were spayed/neutered/vaxxed/vetted and adopted by us from our former neighborhood. We were improving the stalls for them and we had a portable swamp cooler in one stall plus an oil heater for cold weather. Unfortunately my ex decided to dump us -- long story I won't repeat here. But the barn compound kept everyone safe and fairly comfortable.
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome. I’ve got plenty of barn space. I should look into doing something like that.
The cat-fencing angles in at the top, so cats can't climb out *although our very feral girl did, a couple of times, and so did our Maryam, so it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does in almost every instance. We never did find out where they were getting out.* If you search cat fencing, you should be able to pull up a lot of info on this. Misters are used in restaurants with al fresco dining; they attach easily to the tin roofs; oil heaters are used in auto shops quite a bit, and the portable swamp coolers are great for the desert as long as you make sure you keep those water tanks filled! but they do not work well in humid climates, only in dry heat. We were going to paint the chipboard, of course, and enclose the ceiling insulation. It was very much a work in progress and very rough, but it kept our cats safe. We also had a great 12x12 outbuilding that the original owner had been insulating; it had a little yard outside, a window on either side, and we put some carpet tiles in so it'd be soft.
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

First pic is the catio we built onto the back of the living room; #2 and #3 are the barn compound, and #4 is the 12x12 "kitten cabin"

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy cow. Can I move in too ? Lol.
The previous owner built an indoor outdoor kennel for a dog in our pole barn that’s decent sized on the inside and insulated. I blocked off the dog door to the outside. Stray cats have used it in the past for shelter in the winter. I think I can convert it into a smaller version of what you have there. I’d really like to be able to do a better job of socializing all the stray/feral cats we end up with. Right now I have to put food out and wait around for them to come to me to gain their trust. If I could contain them somewhat it sure would speed up the process I think.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow. Can I move in too ? Lol.
The previous owner built an indoor outdoor kennel for a dog in our pole barn that’s decent sized on the inside and insulated. I blocked off the dog door to the outside. Stray cats have used it in the past for shelter in the winter. I think I can convert it into a smaller version of what you have there. I’d really like to be able to do a better job of socializing all the stray/feral cats we end up with. Right now I have to put food out and wait around for them to come to me to gain their trust. If I could contain them somewhat it sure would speed up the process I think.
Oh, friends, if I could, I would! But when the ex dumped us, we had to sell. So now I'm down here in la-la land, with a nice big house and tiny urban yards. You have to pull a permit down here to add a catio, and there's little room for one, so I won't. Anyway, it's polluted and sometimes noisy and not conducive to that kind of life here.
Two locations ago, we cared for many community cats and it took a couple of years to gain the trust of the matriarch. We adopted everyone who'd let us, got everyone fixed and basic vaxxes and vetted. We gated the whole (rental) property and built some modular cat houses there. It wasn't ideal, but it was the best we could do there. When we moved, of course everyone moved with us -- except for one little male who slipped the trap and didn't let himself be caught. So many long stories there! But our Mojave property was Paradise for us. I would have done much to stay, but it wasn't to be. They say everything happens for a reason. *Here's an ancient scan from two location ago. Raj Kumar, one of Maa's sons, and probably Katie on the platform in the background*
scan0001.jpg

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emi hiding under the pet stairs right after I brought her in. Even though she was basically my pet barn cat by this time she was still real scared for a couple days after I brought her inside to live.
IMG_0613.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emi hiding under the pet stairs right after I brought her in. Even though she was basically my pet barn cat by this time she was still real scared for a couple days after I brought her inside to live.View attachment 480796
Life IS scary, whether inside or out. Hoping Emi now knows she is as safe as can be, and LOVED. :loveeyes: