how hot is too hot for full grown male?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Henry is a rescue and the sweetest of all 7 but he can be aggressive toward dolly, my old woman cat so at night he’s relegated to an outside cat cage or catcatraz as I call it. Yep it’s big, 3 wire cages stacked. The bottom one is on concrete. They are about 6x6’ and 4’ tall connected by ladders. At night he has a fan on and a frozen milk jug in the middle one. One water bowl and a water fountain. But it’s 89 tonight and I’m concerned. By morning it get down to mid to low 70s.
He shows no sign of panting.
Enough background.
To hot for him?
Anything else I could do?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We once asked our vet a similar question and she said if it's too hot, (or cold), for you then it's too hot, (or cold), for your pet. A lot would also depend on where you live, e.g. if you get a great deal of humidity it raises the heat index.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My crew all are indoor/outdoor and can go outside during the daytime. Where I live it can get up to 110F with mid-level humidity. My group do fine with the heat assuming they have access to water, shade and a breeze helps too. They tend to rotate through laying in the sun, laying in a cool spot, or coming inside to cool down in the A/C. As long as he has access to water, there is a breeze and he isn't in direct sunlight (I know night mostly) he should be okay.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! Shade and water! :)

Our dogs used to live in kennels made from hog wire. They were in a row about thirty or forty feet long. There was a doghouse inside each pen with straw for bedding. There was a corrugated, metal roof over the tops and the whole thing was under some shady trees. The floors were concrete and dirt. (Half and half.) In the winter, we'd put plywood panels on the sides of the kennel to keep the wind and snow out.

Guess who's job it was to give them water every day? ;)