Maybe A Maine Coon?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I had posted here a few years ago about Lily. I was pretty sure she was a rag doll after reading here and research. This is Lily. She has grown into a big beautiful 15 lb almost 5 year old.
Now onto Zoe. She's 9 months and still very little, but her tail is sooo big and bushy, just about the size of Lily's. She's only maybe 6 lbs. Could she be a main coon? Her hair is getting long and thick and that tail does not fit her itty bitty body!
IMG_20170519_200922_026.jpg
20170519_201953.jpg

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming it's the second cat? Do you have any other pictures? Maybe from the side? I can't say I'm a cat expert, but I have done research into the breed. I would say it's doubtful. Or, if she does, it's pretty far down the line. A bushy tail is hardly enough to qualify for a Maine coon. Maine coons do age slowly and might not reach full maturity for a few years, but six pounds is awfully small. Even the females of that breed are usually closer to fifteen. Main coons also have very thick fur and a ruff around the neck. She appears to have short or medium length fur. But, as I said, they do mature rather slowly for a cat and it's impossible to know without DNA testing. Someone more knowledgeable will probably show up sooner or later. They're both beautiful cats.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Any longhaired (and even some mediumhaired) cat would have a bushy tail. While Zoe is very beautiful, I really don't see any Maine Coon in her. An MC would have long, shaggy fur all over their body, a more square head, and would be larger. Sweet Zoe would be a brown mackeral tabby Domestic Mediumhair. I think you are right that Lily has some Ragdoll influence, though!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, Zoe is a domestic medium hair. No recent traces of MCO. Also, she is by herself quite petite, the weigh considerable for a kitten is in part because she is apparently quite well to do, with her well filled sides....

Change in diet / more exercise? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies! I'm perfectly happy with her not being a Maine coon, I was just kinda hoping so she would grow big like Lily is. Looks like she will be pretty petite when she's all done growing even though her tail is sooo long and bushy. Thank you for thinking my girls are beautiful