• 3. Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didnt find this book slow to start as others did, not a page turner but fine for me.

I found reading about the conditions in such an institution at that time interesting, I imagine not all were factual but some would have been. It' must have been terrible for those people condemned to live their lives in such a place , many who could have been helped by modern day knowledge and medication .

I tried to work out how Rachel had escaped without inside help but couldn't, all became clear later.

The banter between Teddy and Chuck was amusing up to a point but became tedious .

Parts of the story were unpleasant to read, especially where Teddy told Chuck about his errors in decoding and the consequences it led to.

Crawley and Naehring were a creepy pair of characters. It appeared to me they were covering up something big and that dream Teddy had after taking the so called headache pills was so weird. All became clear why later.

I found the story a bit confusing two thirds of the way through. Was Chuck who he said he was, was Rachel Solando in the cave, I couldn't work out what was real and what wasn't and had to really concentrate at that stage to follow the story and not miss any clues.

Between the hallucinations, dreams and confusing conversations I got lost on times.

I was surprised to find that Chuck was Doctor Sheehan and at this stage I still didn't know if Teddy was an inpatient or a marshall. I presume from the ending he was an inpatient who and regressed.

I give this book ⭐⭐⭐. Would have been another half if it hadnt confused me so much.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Confusing maybe, but certainly irrelevant! I think I pushed most of what I read in the first 90% of the book to the back of my brain. I had the feeling that the author had written a story which was simply too short and the beginning had to be blown up and filled with extra incidents, unnecessary blah blah, similes and adverbs ;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did either of you find the book confusing or was it just my addled brain.
Yes! Particularly the part where "Teddy" climbed down the cliff when he thought he saw "Chuck's" body. And then climbing back up he came across "Rachel" in the cave. Was there really a woman there, or did he imagine it. I mean, she told him she was a doctor, albeit on the run, however if she was really one of his doctors, had she just been waiting there all day on the oft chance he'd find her. Or had he done this whole routine before. So, yes, definite confusion at parts. :confused2:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Particularly the part where "Teddy" climbed down the cliff when he thought he saw "Chuck's" body. And then climbing back up he came across "Rachel" in the cave. Was there really a woman there, or did he imagine it. I mean, she told him she was a doctor, albeit on the run, however if she was really one of his doctors, had she just been waiting there all day on the oft chance he'd find her. Or had he done this whole routine before. So, yes, definite confusion at parts. :confused2:
She was Nurse Emily (was her name Mason before she married Dr Sheehan?) acting the part of Rachel. That was acting on her part - but Teddy was taken in, at least at the time. I don't know how they knew he'd find the cave, or that he'd go to the lighthouse. Perhaps they were just lucky. More likely they were keeping good tags on his whereabouts. I did enjoy the water pistol! :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did anyone else read Shutter Island? Any lurkers, maybe. If you read it, don't be shy. Tell us what you thought of the book. No need to write a "formal" review either. Just posting some thoughts about it is fine.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just wanted to add my thanks to gilmargl gilmargl for reading and finishing the book, even though you didn't enjoy it.
Also thanks to Robyn5678 Robyn5678 for giving it a shot.

Sorry it wasn't a good choice for either of you, or for any of our other fellow readers. We do try to pick books from different genres, and clearly this wasn't a popular one.

Our June book is totally different, though, so hopefully will be a better read for everyone.

1685545965265.png