May 2022 Book of the Month Club - Short Stories

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a reminder, especially since we'll be reading short stories in May, that will take less time than usual to read, if you finish them before May 22nd, don't post any spoilers. Or if you do, ensure you use the spoiler tag. On May 22nd, the discussion will begin, after which spoilers and anything else about the stories can be freely discussed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't post any spoilers, I just asked if that was the end, because it was so short.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M maggiedemi : You're right, you didn't post any spoilers. But when you posted that you'd already read a short story, it occurred to me that because they're "short" stories, they can be read much faster than our usual novels, so wanted to remind everyone, regulars and any newbies, that if they finish them before discussion time, to be careful not to post anything that might be spoiler-y. So all good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today's May 1st, so that means Short Story Month has begun.
Links to read the short stories online are in the first post in this thread.

We'll be reading the short stories from May 1st to May 21st.
Discussion will begin on May 22nd.

Hope to see all our regulars reading along with us, and maybe some newbies too.

1651408024876.png

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to join in for one book, this. month. I downloaded Flowers for Algernon......
I think I would probably get more out of it, at this age. I will read it with a box of tissues next to me..... It is so poignant.

The book, from the book club in my building; Is just not for me. I am giving up on it... too weird. I already heard another member has stopped reading it. I only read 4-5 chapters... too much...

Flowers for Algernon!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided to join in for one book, this. month. I downloaded Flowers for Algernon......
I think I would probably get more out of it, at this age. I will read it with a box of tissues next to me..... It is so poignant.
Did you download it from the link in this thread? Or from your library. If your library, it may be the book, not the short story. Same story, just longer and some extra storyline things goings on.

I know what you mean about the tissues, though. I'll be needing some too, I'm sure.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you download it from the link in this thread? Or from your library. If your library, it may be the book, not the short story. Same story, just longer and some extra storyline things goings on.

I know what you mean about the tissues, though. I'll be needing some too, I'm sure.
I downloaded the entire book.. That is ok. I have time to read it. It should be a 'richer' experience with more tears....and tissues...

I opened the kindle to the first page... It came jolting back to me when I saw the writing style...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So far I've read Cat in the Rain, and it did definitely end abruptly. I've got some thoughts on it, so will type them out and same in a Word file till discussion time.

I've also read The Monkey's Paw. Not so many thoughts on it, but I'll also type them out while it's still fresh in my mind.

Next up will be either On the Gull's Road, or The Necklace. Saving Algernon for the end, as it's the longest one, so more like a short book than a short story.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just tried to listen to The Monkey's Paw.. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and never heard one like this. Usually they are either written with characters and are read by different people, as a play or theatre, or they just read the book, and that's usually just one person, or different people if it swaps who is telling the story and then the change-over is usually a new chapter. This isn't that. Here, the bloke narrates the story and anytime someone talks, the voice of that character pops in to read it. I couldn't stop laughing. It you want to be entertained purely through the most unique (and not very professional) way of reading, go for it. But it's short enough to read, and I reckon that's the way to go. :)

Adding: Just checked out the others and, to be honest, I think reading is the way to go. ;)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read them all now but On the Gull's Road and Flowers Algernon.

I've read all but Flowers for Algernon although I have started it. Usually I leave the books until 18th of the month so I've surprised myself this month.
I've started a novel, so will get back to the short stories when I finish it.

I just downloaded Flowers for Algernon from the library so am starting it. I may only read this one but will see what I get read.
Algernon is the longest, so depending on when you finish it, you might have time to read the others.

Adding: Just checked out the others and, to be honest, I think reading is the way to go. ;)
Since they're short, reading shouldn't be too time consuming this month.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One week from today we get to start discussing the short stories.
So if you've been putting off reading them, don't wait too much longer.

1652616603710.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided to read Algernon this afternoon. Took about 45 minutes, so definitely shorter than the novel version, which I read a few months ago.

Just have "On The Gull's Road" to read now.