May 2022 Book of the Month Club - Short Stories

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1649080269453.png

May is short story month, so instead of reading a book, we are going to read some short stories. We’ve chosen five, all of which can be easily read online, or listened to via YouTube. The stories range from just over 1000 words to 12,000 words, so 3 weeks should give everyone enough to time read them. However, if time is short, you can just read as many, or as few, as you'd like, and still be able to join in the discussion later in the month.

1. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
1649080734016.png

Read online at: https://www.sdfo.org/gj/stories/flowersforalgernon.pdf
Read reviews at: Flowers for Algernon - Short Story

2. The Monkey’s Paw by W. W. Jacobs
1649080949829.png

Read online at: https://www.kyrene.org/cms/lib/AZ01001083/Centricity/Domain/2259/The Monkeys Paw - text.pdf
Read reviews at: The Monkey's Paw

3. On The Gull’s Road by Willa Cather
1649081150461.png

Read online at: On the Gulls' Road | Willa Cather Archive
Read reviews: On The Gull's Road

4. Cat in the Rain by Ernest Hemingway
1649081339550.png

Read online at: Cat in the Rain By Ernest Hemingway.pdf
Read reviews at: Cat in the Rain

5. The Necklace by Guy De Maupassant
1649081429933.png

Read online at: https://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/sites/default/files/the_diamond_necklace.pdf
Read reviews: The Necklace

We will be reading the short stories between May 1st and May 21st.
Discussion will begin May 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us.
You can RSVP by posting in this thread.

For anyone who prefers audio books, here are the YouTube links:

Flowers for Algernon - part 1 (28 minutes, 28 seconds)

Flowers for Algernon - part 2 (56 minutes, 28 seconds)

The Monkey's Paw (25 minutes, 24 seconds)

On The Gull's Road (45 minutes, 33 seconds)

Cat In The Rain (6 minutes, 27 seconds)

The Necklace (17 minutes, 21 seconds)

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh....
Flowers for Algernon.. OMG... I remember reading it either in High School or right after high school.. I forgot about it, until I saw the post.
Such a good book... I cried ... and cried... It is one of those books, you really HAVE to read.

I saw the movie also.....never as good as the book, but powerful, nontheless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also read Flowers for Algernon in either junior high or high school, and also loved it. So knew it was one we had to read for Short Story Month. Hope you'll have time to read it in May, artiemom artiemom , so you can see if you love it as much now as you did then.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope you'll be able to read them all too, pearl99 pearl99 . But if not, that's fine, as just reading one, you'll still be able to join the discussion.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh....
Flowers for Algernon.. OMG... I remember reading it either in High School or right after high school.. I forgot about it, until I saw the post.
Such a good book... I cried ... and cried... It is one of those books, you really HAVE to read.

I saw the movie also.....never as good as the book, but powerful, nontheless.
I read this book a long time ago and loved it, definitely sad. But I thought it was a book, not a short story. I also didn't think the movie was as good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I recently borrowed the Flowers For Algernon e-book from the library, and there were parts I'm pretty sure weren't in the version I read in school. However, I seem to remember the school copy being in book format. So maybe it was printed as a book for schools, even though it was officially a short story.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may miss out on April's Book of the month and concentrate on these short stories. I should have known - modern books offered free are not for me. What amuses some people makes my skin creep - humour is a very personal thing and is either funny or just plain stupid. But don't worry - it makes me smile to think of people enjoying something harmless :).
I'm certainly going to enjoy these short stories - even if I do find one a bit tiresome, it will not be long enough to really get on my nerves!

Thank you rubysmama rubysmama and other members of the team for running these threads!
(Sorry for being a pain....)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl . You are certainly not a pain. Thankfully we are individuals who like different things and have different senses of humour, its not one size fits all and we are always glad to have different perspectives on the books chosen. Read what appeals to you and review as you, as an individual sees it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama and other members of the team for running these threads!
(Sorry for being a pain....)
gilmargl gilmargl : You are most definitely not being a pain. You're one of our loyal, regular book club readers, and we truly appreciate your participation each month. But we would never expect you, or anyone, to read a book that does not appeal to them. So if you feel Louisiana Longshot isn't for you, that's fine. We'll see you again for Short Story Month.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just downloaded the short stories that are in PDF form and will be reading as much of them as I can. I have three other books started and one of the previous month books just came available from the library.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ernest Hemingway is fabulous! The movies based on his books are anyway...Is that story just 6 minutes or is that only Part 1?
Does Flowers For Algernon have any romance in it? The last 3 books sound like the best.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. Probably not, as it is a short story.. But I haven't read it yet. Cuz, it's still April.
Well let me know, cause if that is the ending, then short stories are definitely not for me! I want to know what happens to the cat!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well let me know, cause if that is the ending, then short stories are definitely not for me! I want to know what happens to the cat!
Novels often leave you wondering about what came next too. Guess you have to use your own imagination. :)