May 2020 book of the month club

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw the movie but don't remember anything about it
I hated the movie (stupid women, stupid actresses). Last read the book 20 years ago (I made a list of characters at the time, so I must have found it difficult to concentrate on the story even then!) Have found the book still on my shelves, surprising myself that I hadn't thrown it out and have started reading it again. The novel is obviously written as a satire, you are not expected to like the characters - which is why the film just doesn't really work - even with the best actresses and a happy ending. I'm about a quarter of the way through, so will give an update when (and if) I finish it. If I can stomach it, I will even watch the DVD.

Watch this space for more info!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Isn't that the way it always goes in life? Love/Hate. :lol:
Most romance novels, for sure. :lol:

I hated the movie (stupid women, stupid actresses). Last read the book 20 years ago (I made a list of characters at the time, so I must have found it difficult to concentrate on the story even then!) Have found the book still on my shelves, surprising myself that I hadn't thrown it out and have started reading it again. The novel is obviously written as a satire, you are not expected to like the characters - which is why the film just doesn't really work - even with the best actresses and a happy ending. I'm about a quarter of the way through, so will give an update when (and if) I finish it. If I can stomach it, I will even watch the DVD.

Watch this space for more info!
So that's not exactly motivating me to read and/or watch Emma. :lol:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most romance novels, for sure. :lol:

So that's not exactly motivating me to read and/or watch Emma. :lol:
Well, it was only my opinion! I didn't really want to put you right off - some people can watch and read everything - and some miserable old ladies (?) like me are just too full of sour grapes to appreciate anything ! Sorry, I'll try to be more diplomatic next time! ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it was only my opinion! I didn't really want to put you right off - some people can watch and read everything - and some miserable old ladies (?) like me are just too full of sour grapes to appreciate anything ! Sorry, I'll try to be more diplomatic next time! ;)
No worries. And good to know a bit about "Emma" before I consider reading it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries. And good to know a bit about "Emma" before I consider reading it.
rubes, I watched it with 2 friends who adored it, loved all of Austen's books. They even knew some of the lines as they had watched it before. There are a lot of people who love her books, I guess I am not one of them. I think G Paltrow played Emma and I'm not too keen on her. I would try Sense and Sensibility and maybe Persuasion if there was nothing else in the house or on Fire to read.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hoopla has the movie "Emma" and I almost watched it last night. But it's 2 hours long, and it was getting late, so didn't bother. Maybe another time.

I really want to watch a P&P movie, but Hoopla doesn't have it. They do, however, have Bride and Prejudice which is described as a "modern musical retelling of Jane Austen's classic, sparks fly as a love/hate relationship ignites between a small-town beauty and a wealthy American who's visiting her modest Indian village." :hmmm:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoopla has the movie "Emma" and I almost watched it last night. But it's 2 hours long, and it was getting late, so didn't bother. Maybe another time.

I really want to watch a P&P movie, but Hoopla doesn't have it. They do, however, have Bride and Prejudice which is described as a "modern musical retelling of Jane Austen's classic, sparks fly as a love/hate relationship ignites between a small-town beauty and a wealthy American who's visiting her modest Indian village." :hmmm:
That sounds good!!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So now I'm thinking I have to give "Emma" a chance after all. :lol:
I finished the book yesterday. It's rather hard work - lots of conversation but not much action. I was disappointed not to learn a bit more about Jane Fairfax but it was not a bad read.
I then watched the DVD this afternoon. It's rather a tear-jerker if you like that sort of thing. As with all films, much including explanations had to be left out. Harriet should have been more attractive. In the book her appearance was her main (only) asset. In the film she wasn't even pretty.
On the whole, I can recommend both film and DVD.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the whole, I can recommend both film and DVD.
That's good to know. I after I finish the June book club book, I'm going to read Emma, then watch the movie. Definitely would never read the book if I watched the movie first..

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good to know. I after I finish the June book club book, I'm going to read Emma, then watch the movie. Definitely would never read the book if I watched the movie first..
That's the best way to do it - let your imagination picture the characters first. Having read the book, and knowing the story, I believe I was better able to interpret and appreciate facial expressions and exchanges of looks between the actors.

Perhaps I should now reread both "Sense and Sensibility" and "Persuasion" which I have found among my old books. I had to read "Mansfield Park" at school, so it's probably about time I read that again, too. Were any films made of these classics?

I will not be finishing the June book club book. I read the first chapters on the internet, but wasn't sufficiently interested in finding out how it ended to actually purchase the book. Enjoy your reading!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps I should now reread both "Sense and Sensibility" and "Persuasion" which I have found among my old books. I had to read "Mansfield Park" at school, so it's probably about time I read that again, too. Were any films made of these classics?
Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion were made into movies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will not be finishing the June book club book. I read the first chapters on the internet, but wasn't sufficiently interested in finding out how it ended to actually purchase the book. Enjoy your reading!
We knew every book wouldn't appeal to everyone. Maybe you'll like our July book more.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We knew every book wouldn't appeal to everyone. Maybe you'll like our July book more.
It would be dreadful if we all liked similar things. The books my mother read right up to her death, those my father read before he lost his eyesight, those my brothers and sisters enjoy, and those my grandchildren are mad about are all so very different. It would be difficult to find even one book that we all could enjoy!