May 2020 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For our May 2020 book club selection, we've chosen an older release. Much older, in fact. As in one written in 1813. And one that according to Wikipedia "has consistently appeared near the top of lists of "most-loved books" among literary scholars and the reading public".

If you haven't already figured it out, the book for May 2020 is
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
1586781459793.png

We will be reading it between May 1st and May 21st
Discussion will be from May 22nd to May 28th

Everyone is welcome to read along with us.

If it's a book you've already read, and that is certainly likely, maybe consider re-reading it. Or just come back and join us during the discussion part of the month.

Because this is a classic written over 200 years ago, its copyright has expired, meaning it is part of the public domain, and available for free download in various formats, including Kindle, EPub, and HTML, online at Project Gutenberg, where it is currently the #1 most downloaded book.

Public libraries likely also have it available for download, and even though most are closed because of COVID-19, you can still download e-books. You may even be able to sign up for a library card electronically, if you don't already have one.

HOOPLA which is affiliated with some libraries, also has Pride and Prejudice available for download:

It's also available at Amazon for free on Kindle. As well the actual book can be ordered in Hardcover or Paperback.

Links to download the e-book:
Pride and Prejudice at Project Gutenberg
Pride and Prejudice at HOOPLA
Pride and Prejudice Kindle format at Amazon

1586783088150.png

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MikyPiky MikyPiky : This will be my first time reading Pride and Prejudice, so I don't yet understand the cat pic meme. :catman:

Enjoy LOTR, and if you think of it, do come back for the discussion part of Pride and Prejudice. :compsurfing:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read this book at least 3 times, but I intend reading it again. Should it get on my nerves (it hasn't up till now, but I may have changed - the book hasn't), I won't admit I've given up till 23rd May! :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just downloaded Pride and Prejudice to my e-reader, and will probably start it sometime today. It's my first time reading it, and think it's really amazing that a book written in 1813 is still on the "must read" lists of 2020.

Whether I love it or not, remains to be seen. But I'm going in with an open mind. As well a curious mind, as I want to know who Lydia is, and what on earth she might have done. :lol:

1588334074781.png

Oh, guys, I'm going to sit this one out. I stumbled through it FIVE TIMES as required reading in various classes, and it just wasn't my thing! However, it is a classic, and most people love it, so...ENJOY! I'll see you all in June!
Five times!!! I guess that's a good enough reason to be excused from the reading portion of the book club. But, uhm, no reason why you can't join in the discussion part. ;)

For anyone on the fence about reading it, here's a couple links that might help you decide.

7 Reasons You Need To Drop Everything To Read "Pride And Prejudice"
FIVE REASONS DUDES SHOULD READ PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 :
you must be further along than me. Or I missed something in the translation from old English to modern English.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Darcy has just realised that he is attacked to Lizzie. I love the Bennett sisters. I come from
a small family and it would have been fun to have 4 sisters

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't read your spoiler, Mia6 Mia6 because you didn't say how far along you are.

I'm about to start chapter 14.
Jane and Elizabeth are back from their extended visit at the Bingley's, and the male cousin who will inherit the Bennet home is visiting. Mr. Darcy has also taken more notice of Elizabeth, much to the dislike of Mr. Bingley's single sister. Does she even have a name?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't read your spoiler, Mia6 Mia6 because you didn't say how far along you are.

I'm about to start chapter 14.
Jane and Elizabeth are back from their extended visit at the Bingley's, and the male cousin who will inherit the Bennet home is visiting. Mr. Darcy has also taken more notice of Elizabeth, much to the dislike of Mr. Bingley's single sister. Does she even have a name?
You're way ahead of me, haven't been able to read, pain flare.
I've had a crush on Darcy since about Chapter 3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm about 1/4 of the way into the book. I'm enjoying it, but it's not a page turner. It's interesting to see how the English language has changed over the centuries, and there's lots of words I have to look up in the e-reader dictionary. One thing I find really interesting is how women are referred to as "handsome" and men having "beauty".

1589023656629.png