Mattresses

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being in low cost rentals unless you buy a mattress and take it with you when you move.. The worst I ever had was a one inch thick felt mat atop wooden slats.. Bedsore time... Here a good bed, orthopaedic mattress..

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're also in the market for a new mattress. I already nixed the idea of memory foam due to the fact that they tend to retain heat. Coil mattresses are still easily available. You should have no problem finding one! I haven't yet read through the whole thread as I'm on my way out the door to work but I'm sure by now you got lots of good advice and I'm going to catch up later on to read through it for my own use too!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We also need a mattress. With 2 kids in university, it's just been a thing put off. Ours is about 22 years old. We will be getting a pocket coil/spring mattress - most likely a Simmons Beautyrest Black brand. I was told they don't make them to flip anymore, not sure about that. We will probably get one this spring as my oldest ds still sleeps in his childhood bed and he is a big boy now and needs a much larger bed! He will get ours. I am interested in the Sleep Number though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have slept on a waterbed for 30+ years now. They last a long time. In the winter, I turn up the heater, and it is so nice to get into a warm bed! In the summer, I turn the heat down and it cools me down. The cats can take a while to get used to it, but once they do, they love it. I know waterbeds are not for everyone. Sometimes people's backs don't like them, but they are great for my back!
:yeah: We both have back problems and switched from a coil spring to a waterbed in 2006. Ours is a king with separate controls for each side. Being able to set the temperature is terrific and so is adjusting the firmness by adding or draining off some water.

I just got (and like) a memory foam pillow, but can't imagine sleeping on a memory foam mattress in the summer!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Tempurpedic and love it. The next bed I get will be the one that is divided and raises on both ends. A Sleep Number too. It would help my husband with his TV watching and snoring. i would definitely recommend a foam mattress of some type, Tempurpedics are too expensive in my opinion. but there is one thing I would always recommend- KING SIZE! We go back to a queen now and it is horrible, it is so nice to stretch out and not worry about bumping into your husband. I am a restless sleeper. We even have our old king in a basement bedroom that is small, just enough room on the side for small dresser, and everyone who sleeps on it comments how nice it is. I could never go back to a queen once you are spoiled by a king. We have been married over 40 years though, a long way from sleeping 'stacked' on a twin bed when we had company 40 years ago, and who needed our bed. Comfort is the priority now!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We need a new mattress, too, as ours is well over ten years old. And we have no clue what to buy. None. For us, a mattress is a big investment and we want to make sure we have something that both of us will like.

Several years ago, Rick went into Chicago for a union seminar and I went along for the ride. We stayed at a Hyatt (I think it was). The mattress was easily the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on! We walked into the room, I sat on the bed, went "Ohhhhhhhhhhh", stripped down, and went to bed (for a nap. Honest. It was just supposed to be a nap). When I flopped down, I sank, and sank, and then sank some more. Rick said it was the fastest he had ever seen me fall asleep. He made the mistake of lying down, too, and that was pretty much it for the rest of the evening for us. No dinner. Nothing. And I slept straight through from about 4:00 in the afternoon to 8:00 the next morning; I don't think I ever even turned over. Best sleep ever. I was going to check what the mattress was....and never did. Dang. I'd have bought one in a heartbeat. Normally I (and my back) prefer a firmer mattress. That thing? Heaven on earth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have access to Consumer Reports?
Why didn't I think of that??? :doh2:

One thing I should have mentioned is that we got a flippable mattress, which helps extend the usable life span.
Isn't it harder to find a flippable one these days? We are definitely concerned with longevity.

I was going to check what the mattress was....and never did.
We had a similar experience a few years back and we did check the mattress and now I forgot. :sigh:

Thanks everyone for your input so far. I still feel like we are going to feel like we have been though a war by the time we have a new mattress. :lol:

In the next few days I am going to ark off the floor with painter's tape to get a better idea on if the kind bed will fit or not.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the one I have and I LOVE it. I bought DD one too. Mine is a king hers is a queen. She loves hers too. The girls love to sleep on mine too. It's so comfortable. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ1A9M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Gel Memory foam mattresses are cooler (re: body temp transfer) than normal memory foam ones. That's a positive. I think you can get these in soft, medium, and firm? We have a similar one, a firm Lucid gel memory foam, also CertiPUR, like yours. If we'd buy one again, I'd go with a medium feel mattress.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the hotel and ask! My mother did that after staying at one. I think it was a Hilton hotel that there had been a company event at for my step-dad's company. They were able to answer her quickly.

A good mattress is worth investing in if you can do it. A lot of people said to get a cheap mattress for my kids until they were older (beyond bedwetting age) but that just seemed silly to me. We got good mattress protectors and I kept the same crib pads from their cribs under the fitted sheet. (I only once ever had to change sheets for a kid in the middle of the night anyway.) I wanted them to have GOOD sleep at night too. I mean I get to deal with them all day if they are cranky so it's for me too. And hopefully they will keep their mattresses till they can buy their own. ;):p

I had a Beauty Rest mattress growing up that was 2nd hand and everyone loved my bed. DH and I slept on it till we had been married a year or two. We didn't keep our next one as long but I think it was also a Beautyrest.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too need a new mattress. Mine was from my parents house from the 1990s. Jon loves it. Regular coil spring type. Funny it hasn't lost its shape. I like the idea of waterbed for Jon. That would totally help out his cold issues. Me I prefer my couch. It is from ethan allen and so far it's 13 years old and no dips from me sitting on it. Ive been thinking about sleep number or eletric bed to raise my/our heads for we both snore. I hate foam topped mattresses. I am too hot 99% of the time. So that wouldn't work. Jon likes a firm hard mattress. I like middle of the road soft but firm. I want a king but the frame we have is queen. It's also Ethan Allen we got from a local antique store..it's from the 1960s and I really don't want to get rid of it. So for now it's stalemate on a new bed. I may put a twin size bed in the office whenever I get around to cleaning out the clutter for guests. Guess I just dont like change....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up the Hyatt bed once before. It's more or less a Sealy Posturpedic. It may be the same mattress as in the store or it may be slightly different because hotels like to be difficult. They used to sell the Hyatt Grand Bed through Hyatt at Home.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Gel Memory foam mattresses are cooler (re: body temp transfer) than normal memory foam ones. That's a positive. I think you can get these in soft, medium, and firm? We have a similar one, a firm Lucid gel memory foam, also CertiPUR, like yours. If we'd buy one again, I'd go with a medium feel mattress.
I'd say mine's medium. I just love it and so do the girls. Lily has her favorite blanket that she akes herself a little nest with and she snoozes on the bed for hours. She also has her favorite pillow too.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We just bought a new Sleep Number bed. Our old one was still good and will go to our daughter for her bad back. The new one has some features ours didn't seven years ago.

The best part of a Sleep Number is its adjustability. You can set the number low enough that you'll almost disappear or firm enough to rival a plank. My husband usually sleeps at 40 but he pinched a nerve and instead of sleeping on the floor like he did the first time, he just increased the firmness of his side of the bed to 100 and slept and recovered just fine.

One wonderful part of a Sleep Number mattress is that they're modular. If something happens to the top, you order a new one, unzip the old one, and zip the new one into place. The same with the air chambers.

You buy a frame in your size and get the base you want. Ours folds you like a taco but there are tri-folds now that even claim zero gravity positioning. We're quite happy with our taco and find we almost never raise the foot. The top, however, goes up and down like an elevator. I found out you don't have to buy a Sleep Number frame and base, but we like ours.

The beds also have a feature that maintains the firmness you want even if you turn. The P5 up models also come with a sleep quality monitor that works with your smart phone to tell you how well you slept. I don't know how it does it, but it tracks your pulse and respiration, too.

We got the single-piece top so both sides move simultaneously. You can get a split top so that each side of the top moves independently. The downside is that it requires special sheets, and those are expensive. Of course, you can also get the completely split mattress, but it uses twin long sheets and is also is a booger bear to make up.

The mattresses come in a number of different tops with prices to match. We got a mid-line P5. It has enough padding to be very comfortable but not enough to negate the effect of the air. We also got the DualTemp pads. They can modify the bed's temperature ± 5° from the ambient temperature. Robert loves to be cool, while I'm all for warm. The pads aren't inexpensive, but we think they're worth it. The P6 mattress has a heat dispersal feature that keeps the temperature fairly even.

The beds come with a 25 year warranty. No regular mattress can match that. They even come with aa 100 day trial, but I'll bet you never give it back.

If you buy, be sure to ask for the Inner Circle discounts. They can save you quite a bit of money.

You just can't go wrong with a Sleep Number bed. I promise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I need a new bed as well. I am unimpressed with memory foam. It seems to lose its memory too easily.

The one I'm currently looking at is a hybrid between coils and latex foam.
Organic Mattress, Natural Mattresses | Avocado Green Mattress®

I have no idea when I can pull the trigger though. I could have bought a number of those for what I spent on Krista's vet bill this year. And the dumb "tax cut" has left me with a tax bill this year. :(
The Avocado ones are Consumer Reports favorite.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raddisson uses Sleep Number beds in their rooms. I have never slept well on one of those. It always felt like I was dialing in how much I wanted it to sag, and still not support me the way I needed it. Also, from what I remember from 20 years ago, the bed comes in 18 (!!) pieces. Keep your boxes until you're sure you won't send it back at the end of the 100 nights. I think it cost me an extra $100 to custom make some boxes to send back some of the bigger pieces.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Avocado ones are Consumer Reports favorite.
Excellent! Honestly, beds are such an individual thing. While I appreciate CR, there's only one critic that matters, and only one way to get that opinion. Between vet bills and an unexpected tax bill, that trial keeps getting kicked down the road.