Matisse

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matisse was a very young cat, born March 2019.
I found and trapped him and his other three brothers and two sisters July 2019, they were the litter of a feral cat who rarely appears around my cat colony, and subsequently I have never been able to trap her.
All the kittens were taken to the local shelter, three of them were re-homed. Matisse, and his two brothers Leo and Romeo, stayed at the shelter as permanent guests. They were free to roam in the large fenced courtyard.

A few days before this past Easter I was called by the lady of the shelter who told me that Matisse wasn't feeling too good and that a visit at the vet's had been arranged already.
Unfortunately the response from that visit was a shock, very likely it was FIP. I was shattered, but the vet told me that a new unregistered treatment was available and asked me if I was willing to try it. She warned me that the therapy was very long and very expensive. I agreed, I have never let a cat down, even if they are feral.

This new, and rather promising, therapy started on the day after Easter and went on till mid July. After the first three or four injections of this drug, Matisse was feeling visibly better, and in a couple of weeks he was another cat, lively, hungry, full of energy. He had to live in a cage, because the injection had to be administered every day at the same time sharp, so it was advisable to have him at hand always.
The therapy ended, he was a brand new cat, the first blood panel and electrophoresis showed wonderful levels, we would have had a new blood test done two months later.
I was on cloud nine, I had done something amazing. I had spent thousands to save his life, I couldn't have been prouder.

Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later he started eating less and less. It was terribly hot and humid, I clung to this factor and didn't want to believe it was anything else, it couldn't be. But things didn't improve even during a fresher week, so on last Tuesday (August 11) we took him to the vet again, and the blood test showed something was going worse.
On the next morning Matisse got suddenly blind and couldn't coordinate his movements. I took him to the clinic promptly, I was told that he wasn't going to survive the night, but luckily he was still alive on Thursday (August 13). Anyway the vets were pessimistic and told me that his nervous system was compromised, there was absolutely no chance that he could ever recovered.
Putting him to sleep was the only solution, so we proceeded...
Before the vet did the final thing, I was given a few minutes to hug and kiss him. I told him he had been brave and patient, but he had to do a last trip to a wonderful place. Then, in two minutes, he got his new wings and flew up high, to the Bridge.

On the following day I took him to the crematorium, I had his ashes back right away, now he rests in his urn, here at home, he finally has a home.

RIP Matisse, I will always remember your courage. Keep an eye on your two brothers still at the shelter.

Matisse_20200529.jpg
Matisse in his cage, halfway in the therapy course.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, what a beautiful boy he was. You did everything you possibly could for him from the very start, such a wonderful person.
Rip Young Matisse.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet, brave Matisse! Once again, Antonio, you tried so hard only to get heartache in the end. But you keep on trying and going ahead with that treatment gave researchers valuable information for the next little one to need it. It was NOT in vain.....
You gave that precious boy at least three months of life. It may not seem like much to us, but to him it was priceless and he thanks you for it.
Each and every little life you try so hard to save is an addition to your soul. There will be triumphs, made even sweeter and more precious because of the losses. And in the meantime, you just keep on trying.....I know it weighs on you, it breaks my heart just to read about it. My own soul feels each and every loss too, I often look at the starry night sky and cry from the pain it brings. But somehow you keep on going because it means so very much to bring even a little happiness and joy to those little beings who rule our hearts.
Matisse is at peace now because he has a place in your heart. His life was hard and somehow you made it a little better. You can't give them everything in life, but you give them enough. You show them that someone cares, that someone can love them. And you mourn them and think of them when they leave and that in itself is an honor and all they ever wanted.
Thank you for letting us know of this brave, precious boy. He has my thoughts and prayers and you do too. For all you do, all you have done, and for all you are about to do, I salute you, Antonio. If there ever was a saint to watch over those precious creatures, it is you. I wish you well, I cry along with you for the loss of one so innocent. But most of all I send prayers to God to help you, to watch over you and yours, and to bless you for your labors. You deserve whatever he can send your way.
Please accept my condolences, my heart cries for your pain but it also gives much-needed thanks for all you do. Please just take each day as it comes and know there will be joys too in the future. One day at a time.....Sweetest Matisse. You will always have a secure place in a loving heart, you will be always dearly missed. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It was so good of you to keep track of Matisse. What a thoughtful, kind act to be there with him at the end. He was lucky to have someone like you caring for him--he knew he was loved.

Rest in peace, little Matisse. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a bittersweet story, how you cared for him and spent your own money to help him only to have it turn ugly as it sometimes does, I am sorry that you couldn't have saved him but you tried, you did more than most people would have done, and he will see you in the next life and that furry whisker rub down around your lower legs will be him saying "thank you for what you did for me on Earth, thank you for trying and taking care of me" and it will be wonderful.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Thank you for trying to help him, I hope that your wonderful heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Matisse, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. But you gave that precious boy some extra time of joyous life, and what a lovely thing that is. You will remember him with love, and he will remember you with gratitude and love. My heart with yours, always, for ALL that you do!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio, I am so truly sorry on the loss of sweet Matisse!
Such a sweet and precious kitty, it just don't seem fair. Matisse was such a fighter and tried so hard, as did you. You tried your best and you did succeed. You gave that sweet kitty more time. No, it wasn't as much time as you would have liked, but he did get more time. You loved him and cared for him, and he will always love you for that. He knew he was wanted and loved, and he has taken that love with him. All kitties that come into your life are very lucky. You always show them love and care, and they all thank you for that. All the ones that had to leave have a piece of your heart with them and left a piece of their heart with you. They all are together watching over you with gratitude and love.
They are all with you still!