Mating position when combed

only1sandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I start combing my cat, especially on the abdomen, she poses like she is ready to mate,any advice to stop this ,....
;););););););)

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there @Only1sandy and welcome to TCS!

Do you mean she raises her butt in the air and gets down low to the ground with her head?  How old is she and is she fixed?  Please let us know so we can advise, thanks :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

only1sandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly she did what you just described,....
and I have no answer for your questions cause she with me only for a month now.

lovemymoggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Male cat does the exact same thing!  Including when being petted! He is about 1Year 9Months, & is fixed!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly she did what you just described,....
and I have no answer for your questions cause she with me only for a month now.
Well she's adorable!  You say you've had her for only a month but she appears to be adult sized.

- How did you get her?

- Did they not tell you is she is spayed? (wherever you got her from)?

I just don't understand how you don't know if she is spayed unless she walked up to your home as a stray.  Can you help me? :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had spayed cats that do that.  But it is a good idea to see if you can find out whether or not she is spayed.  Cats in heat aren't always fun to deal with. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

only1sandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear StephenQ
My cat(which i called sandy) resued from the street.for this I dont know anything about her life before.
All I know is that she was miserable,scared,skinny and dirty.
I thank GOD that gave me this apportunity to rescue her and take care of her food and a safe place to sleep.

Many thanks to you and who ever in (thecatsite) who guided me through this all time,......

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK well congratulations on the rescue and the adoption, such a beauty she's obviously done very well in your care!

It's true, she can take this position when groomed and it doesn't mean she hasn't been spayed. In time you will know because if she isn't spayed she will go into heat and that is pretty obvious, she gets super affectionate, rubs all over, might start spraying and will likely vocalize and roll around.  If this happens we hope you will get her spayed, much safer for her, much less discomfort, and will prevent all the neighborhood tom cats from sitting by your front door howling.

She should also get a routine vet exam once a year so now is a good time to take her in.  They can make sure she doesn't have any lingering issues for the street and test her for FIV and Feline Leukemia, both of which are contagious from other cats.  The vet can also examine for a spay scar.

All the best with her!  Such a cutie!

Last edited: