Mating plans 2010

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time is fast approaching for our girls to be mated

we are planning to send Malika to stud in january or when she calls next (both girls were taken off with accupressure mating) and Ashia in Feb or late Jan if she calls.

Malika is black spotted silver carrying chocolate, she will go to a UK import chocolate spotted silver boy.
Kittens colour possibilities - chocolate spotted, chocolate spotted silver, tawny spotted & black spotted silver.

Ashia is chocolate carrying cinnamon she will go to an import from Holland who is chocolate carrying cinnamon and dilute.
Kitten colours - chocolate and cinnamon

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amanda, I'm pretty sure that if both cats are silver then you can't get any "solid" or non-silvers - all of them will have silver. I'll check with Jack's breeder (she's my color expert) on that and let you know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get non silvers from silver-silver. You cannot get silvers without a silver parent

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacky, I'm not sure if I will keep any. Wait and see what we get, with having the 2 girls and 3 neuters I can't go crazy keeping cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that she gets some nice show cats and finds ones interested in showing. Many breeders are thrilled when someone specifically wants a "show cat"!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Amanda, I'm pretty sure that if both cats are silver then you can't get any "solid" or non-silvers - all of them will have silver. I'll check with Jack's breeder (she's my color expert) on that and let you know.
It's very possible for two silver cats bred together to have solids - IMO in my opinion just as much chance of getting silvers themselves

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

It's very possible for two silver cats bred together to have solids - IMO in my opinion just as much chance of getting silvers themselves
Agreed. My silver neuter Utu has shaded silver sire and silver classic tabby dam, and Utu's siblings were golden spotted, brown spotted and a solid black.

I hope I get to breed next autumn/winter, my first time! Luna (BLH) is seal silver shaded point (carries dilution, chocolate and possibly cinnamon) and will be mated with a lilac point (BSH) or a shaded silver (BSH but I'm checking if he's a LH carrier).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Amanda, you were right. Since the silvers are carrying colors then you will probably get about 50/50 split on silver or non-silvers. Anne explained it to me.

I was thinking about when breeders have many Silver Tabbies and breed them - you get almost all silvers because the cats are not really carrying any colors.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok Amanda, you were right.
yes I have discussed with experienced Oci breeders (some over 10 years of breeding) how the colours work

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I hope I get to breed next autumn/winter, my first time! Luna (BLH) is seal silver shaded point (carries dilution, chocolate and possibly cinnamon) and will be mated with a lilac point (BSH) or a shaded silver (BSH but I'm checking if he's a LH carrier).
good luck
hope it works out for you. Long hair Brits are not accepted over here, when they do come up they are just for pets.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

good luck
hope it works out for you. Long hair Brits are not accepted over here, when they do come up they are just for pets.
Thank you.
They weren't accepted here either until TICA gave the breed a championship status this year.
But because many Brits are longhair carriers they sometimes do get longhair kittens, and when I got my first one (FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] registered as XLH which means unrecognised longhair breed) everyone fell in love with him and were asking where to get one. He's a neuter and hasn't been in any shows. The second BLH I imported from Germany and she is waiting for her registration papers from TICA at the moment.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friend of mine has a LH Brit she shows in the HHP classes - he's an "oops" - was out of her shorthair Brits - they didn't even know the lines had LH till the cat was born and it seemed short hair at the time!

They named him Cousin It.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Friend of mine has a LH Brit she shows in the HHP classes - he's an "oops" - was out of her shorthair Brits - they didn't even know the lines had LH till the cat was born and it seems short hair at the time!

They named him Cousin It.
Love the name!
(I may have to steal it some day..
)

Both of my BLHs are also "oops"-babies out of shorthair parents. The first one was the only LH in the litter, but the second was born to a litter which has 3 LHs and one SH. Needless to say that the breeder was very surprised, but they kept one LH boy for themselves..

*edit* I forgot to add earlier that many BLH breeders like to mix BLHs with BSHs because it keeps the coat texture better in BLHs. If mating only BLHs with another BLHs for many generations the coat will become more persian-like and starts lacking the 'crisp' which brits are famous for. That's why many breeders prefer these "oopsies".

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok Amanda, you were right. Since the silvers are carrying colors then you will probably get about 50/50 split on silver or non-silvers. Anne explained it to me.

I was thinking about when breeders have many Silver Tabbies and breed them - you get almost all silvers because the cats are not really carrying any colors.
My last litter was two silver parents mated together - Blue cream silver tabby bicolour and blue silver tabby bicolour and we ended up with one non silver kitten (blue tabby)

and don't forget silver tabbies really just breed as blacks