Mating Behavior In Newly Spayed Cat?

jberry09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a feral cat a little over a week ago from the shelter. She had her spay surgery a week and a half ago, and her medical records say she was in heat during her spay.

Today I introduced her to my other (neutered male) cat, and while he seemed mostly interested in playing with her, I think she was acting like she wanted to mate with him. She is normally very timid but she walked right up to him and raised her rear end in the air. Lots of chirping going on between both cats but mostly her.

Could she still have some residual hormones left in her from her last heat cycle? Anyone know how long it will take for this behavior to stop? It’s not a problem really since he’s fixed and has no interest. I’m just curious.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... I don't think female cats are like males, in that it takes time for the hormones to leave their bodies, but I don't know for sure.

My first thought, though, if she is displaying signs of being in heat, is that a bit of ovarian tissue may have been missed when she was spayed. And if that is the case, a 2nd surgery is the only way to stop continued heat cycles. Hopefully that isn't the case with her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Putting her butt in the air doesn't necessarily mean she's in heat. It's a sign of friendly submission. Even some neutered male cats do it to other cats they are buddies with, or to their people.

It's just a sign that she is friendly and non-aggressive, which is a good thing. Don't worry about it.

:catrub: