Materials That Cats Can Climb? Even Upside Down?

Naruto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want some materials that cats can climb. do you know of any material that they wouldn`t be akwardly stuck in them?

Can they still attach the claws to the material if it`s totally upside down?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats won't "freely" climb upside down.
But, vertical....just about anything that isn't too hard or slick to get a claw into.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thick sisal rope wrapped around wood may be a good option. Most cats can easily climb that kind of surface.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive seen cats do it with matresses and carpets. The matress was horizontal and the cat got under the bed.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can't climb anything overhanging. Making a vertical sisal rope post is probably your best bet. :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive seen cats do it with matresses and carpets. The matress was horizontal and the cat got under the bed.
Ours will get under the bed, on their back, feet straight up, and just shimmy all over the place. But, their back is in the floor.
Even have one that will lay on his back with his hind feet against something. Push off with his hind feet and go scooting across the floor on his back. Not sure he knows what he's doing, but, it sure looks like it! :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a screen porch that I covered on the inside with heavy duty bird netting. It not only kept the cats from damaging the screens but one of the cats used it to climb to the ceiling or horizontally across the room when she was trying to get to the outdoor birds and insects.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a screen porch that I covered on the inside with heavy duty bird netting. It not only kept the cats from damaging the screens but one of the cats used it to climb to the ceiling or horizontally across the room when she was trying to get to the outdoor birds and insects.
:eek2: That would scare me! Cats are crazy! I know we all know the whole "cats always land on their feet" thing; but I know of several cats that were injured in falls.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek2: That would scare me! Cats are crazy! I know we all know the whole "cats always land on their feet" thing; but I know of several cats that were injured in falls.
This particular cat was injured once after scaling and then falling off the shower curtain rod, and regularly sat atop any open door in the house so the porch seemed much safer as she a
Had something to grab onto going up and coming down. If you have a cat that loves high places, they will find them, safe or not,

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This particular cat was injured once after scaling and then falling off the shower curtain rod, and regularly sat atop any open door in the house so the porch seemed much safer as she a
Had something to grab onto going up and coming down. If you have a cat that loves high places, they will find them, safe or not,
So true. That doesn't mean I wouldn't still have a fit every time they tried something! I've only had one "daredevil" cat in my life and she was past kitten hood when she came into my life. Some never outgrow it.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat goes crazy scaling her Cat Tower by Bowsers. Its about 6-1/2 feet high. She also LOvES climbing down it upside down! sometimes she will even stop halfway and just hang there. She can easily go down head first because I've positioned it in the corner of the room about 6" away from the walls so she sort of uses the wall against her back and her claws dig into the ridged fabric of the boxes. She loves that thing. The holes also make for a bit of a jungle gym.