Matcha Green Tea

Majin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I was making myself some Matcha and Majin (7month old kitten) jumped up on the table and licked the matcha container's lid (which has a light layer of matcha powder on it). I know caffeine is really bad for cats/dogs and this is labeled medium caffeine so I'm a bit worried. He's been fine so far but it was only a little bit ago; I'm continuing to watch him.

Thank you for any and all advice/messages!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That small amount I wouldn't worry about..the green tea probably smelt like grass..does to me..lol.
But good to be cautious...young cats like kids like to taste and try anything ..good or bad.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Majin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It definitely does smell like grass lol. I think you're right and he'll be okay; he's been acting completely same as usual. Phew, guess I will have to make sure the lid is on every second when I'm not scooping because of this little sneak!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I was making myself some Matcha and Majin (7month old kitten) jumped up on the table and licked the matcha container's lid (which has a light layer of matcha powder on it). I know caffeine is really bad for cats/dogs and this is labeled medium caffeine so I'm a bit worried. He's been fine so far but it was only a little bit ago; I'm continuing to watch him.

Thank you for any and all advice/messages!
Wow, that is a new one. I briefly looked this up on the internet and it is safe for cats in small amounts. Some organic health websites think green tea is good for cats in small amounts. However other sites say it is not that good for cats, one of the main reasons is the caffiene content.

I would lean on the side of being careful you cat doesn't get another chance to sample the tea. It could cause side effects. Just keep an eye on your kitty and contact your vet if he seems sick. Most likely he will be okay.😊