MASTITIS HELP

Shayfury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My queen has mastitis in her two rear teats. Shes been put on an antibiotic today. One of the teats is purplish, do I dare try and express milk for it. Or is the warm compresses enough? Shes very aggressive about being touched.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very sore, I can see why she doesn't want to be touched. Warm compresses are the best thing to do. Most of the time the milk canal will be swollen shut and expressing won't produce any milk anyway. You could gently try if she will let you and see. If she is a nursing mother try to have the kittens nurse there for a while, and then switch them. Make sure to weigh them daily to make sure they are gaining weight. You might want to call your vet and see if there is anything at home that can be done. In researching, as strange as it sounds, it says that a cabbage leaf held to the affected area by a cloth binding helps. Apply it and let it stay for three hours, remove it for three hours, then apply another leaf again for another three hours. I don't know if she will let you. Thank goodness you caught it and she is on an antibiotic since this is a bacterial infection. I put all my liquid meds for cats in Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, it is in the treat section at Walmart, Target, Amazon, and Dollar general. They have never turned it down.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would just use the compresses. It takes about 3 days of antibiotics to begin to see improvement. You could ask your vet for an anti-inflammatory med like Onsior, which would help with the pain and inflammation the first 3 days. As Di said, make sure her kittens are nursing enough from her other nipples. Hang in there - she will get better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shayfury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Think you guys SO much! The veterinary help here hasn't been great. Im currently bottle feeding the kittens, she won't let them near her right now. She's running a fever, but she is letting me put compresses on her. She doesn't want to move much at all and I've had to hand feed and water her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, your poor cat feels miserable. Please ask the vet for an anti-inflammatory. It will bring her fever down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shayfury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bean (mama) is starting to feel much better! Now she wants her kittens though and paces around where I'm keeping them. She isn't allowed to nurse now because of the meds she's on, plus one teat is still far to purple and black to let her even if she could. Any suggestions on how to make mama feel better about this. Shes breaking my heart, lol.