Marlow since his adventure

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Marlow returned home from his big adventure (see http://Marlow bolted), he is a changed boy. We have been working with the formerly feral boy for a couple of years. And now he is tamer than ever. He will now seek me out anywhere in the house and do his "pet me stretch". At lights out time in the evening he immediately comes to the bedside to get his "good night rub down". When the bedroom light goes out he hops up onto the bed for the night. 

Lately I have been working extended hours with earlier start times so I go to bed earlier. Becky will be watching TV in the same room. Marlow "tells her" to turn the TV and light off so he can take his place at the foot of the bed. She says he won't shut up until she does. He will not climb on until the lights and TV are off. Of course I miss all this because I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. 

In a few years I may be able to pick him up. Maybe not. Sasha, our other wild boy, won't allow picking up even after 5 yrs of indoors only.

I am adding a thread about Marlow in Behavior.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Wonderful to hear how he has changed after his adventure!!! I think it won't be years before you can pick him up :lol3: BUT will say that my feral kittens who are now two - at least Perkins - does not like to be picked up. He allows me to pet him now though - after almost two years!! Love and patience pays off !! :wavey:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww................... :lol3: :heart2: He better appreciates what he has now! AND feels comfortable demanding things be just so! :flail:

Chumley's been living with us inside only for two years now.... and he LOVES being petted with my head. We're still working on the hands.... :rub:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Similar situation  happened with one of the cats we rescued and resocialized.  He escaped the house and two weeks later made it back to the cat colony I (use to) take care of.  I retrapped him (scruffed and placed him a cat carrier) and returned him.  He was much more docile, affectionate.  Adopted out to a Forever Home a few weeks later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New policy from Marlow. He has been coming to this stool for his daily brushing (some days multiple brushings) for quite a while. Whats new is he now seems to be comfortable laying his head on my leg and napping. This behavior has been going on consistently every time I have sat there since Friday. (4 days). I like it. He keeps me pinned down longer than I need to be though. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot sooner than I thought, Marlow took the plunge. He crawled up into my lap this past Monday and curled up into a ball. I captured a photo with my cell and sent it to my wife Becky who was on her way to Vegas that morning.This morning he backed up his first lap adventure with a second. Becky was here to see it this time and got a pic with the camera.

Totally feral cats can be socialized. Marlow has been here for 2 1/2 years, two years indoors only. The socializing curve seems to be steepening.